The Caperdonich Distillery was built in 1898 by Major Grant
due the increase in demand for whisky and as a back-up to
Glen Grant. Major Grant's father, James and his uncle John
built Glen Grant across the street in 1840. One of the most
notable characteristics of Capedonich was the famous 'whisky
pipe' which was placed above the street and carried spirit
which merged with the flow from Glen Grant. Locals took adavantage
of the easy access to this famous pipe, drilled holes in it
and took spirit for their own.
The distillery was closed down in 1902 due to the Pattison
Crash and it fell silent for 65 years. After it reopened in
1965 by Glenlivet and Glen Grant, it was expanded. Two new
steam heated pot stills were added to the original two, a
modern tun room and the latest technology enabled the distillery
to be run by a staff of just one or two. Caperdonich produced
350,000 gallons of spirit in its first year after reopening.
There are no official bottlings of Capedonich and the independent
bottlings tend to be very old. In addition, single malt bottlings
of Caperdonich are limited editions and very difficult to
find. Single malt bottlings are available by Cadenhead, Douglas
Laing, Duncan Taylor and Gordon & MacPhail.
Pernod Ricard acquired Capedonich in 2001 from Seagram and
in 2002, it was mothballed. There are no visitor facilities.