Single Malt Scotch Whisky
Convalmore distillery was built in 1893 by Convalmore
- Glenlivet Distillery Co. Ltd. It was then purchased
in 1904 for £ 6000 by W.P. Lowrie & Co Ltd.
In 1906, it was acquired by James Buchanan & Co. Ltd.
Buchanan, who founded his own firm in 1884 in London,
had stocks of both bulk and bottled whisky which were
mainly drawn from W. P. Lowrie and Co. Ltd. In 1930, Convalmore
was taken over by DCL (Diageo) and then in 1985, it was
mothballed. The next change of hands was not until 1990
when it was sold to William Grant & Sons. Although
the license is sill retained by Diageo and they have the
rights to market official bottlings (but have yet to do
so), the premises are owned by Wm. Grant & Sons who
own its neighbouring distilleries, Glenfiddich,
Balvenie and Kininvie.
Today, the distillery serves as warehousing facilities
for Wm. Grant & Sons.
Dufftown, Aberdeenshire, AB55 4BD Scotland
Viewer's Comments about Convalmore
Convalmore, rarely seen as a single malt, was a major
contibutor to Buchanan and Black
& White blends. The only two official single malts
to hit the market: Convalmore 24 Year 1978 and Convalmore
28 Year 1977/2005. Convalmore has only been bottled as
a single malt by independent bottlers.
CONNOISSEURS CHOICE SINGLE MALT SCOTCH WHISKY
GORDON AND MACPHAIL
Convalmore 1975 Tasting Notes
Nose: Well balanced.
Fruitcake, spice. Rubbed petals. Cut herbs,
refined. Flour, barley. Juicy cereals, spices,
rum, touch of lemon zest, marmalade.
gentle whirls of smoke, marmalade on warm granary
Convalmore distillery, founded in 1893 and designed by
architect Donald Mackay, is one of the "Seven Stills"
of Dufftown. The name Convalmore comes from the Conval
hills as well as the distillery's water source which is
from a spring within these hills. In 1909, it was partially
destroyed by fire, however, it was quickly rebuilt by
the next year. When it was reconstructed, a continuous
still was installed which had the capability to distill
500 gallons of wash an hour. Although cost-effective continuous
distillation worked very well with the grain distilleries,
it adversely affected the spirit during maturation. As
a result, this process was abandoned and the continuous
still was replaced by the pot stills in 1916.
The distillery was modernized in the 1960s by Diageo (successor
of DCL / UDV). Indirect steam heating of the stills was
installed as well as two more stills making Convalmore
a four still (2 wash stills & 2 spirit stills) distillery.
Production continued until the distillery's closure in
1985. The distillery buildings are owned by Wm. Grant
and Sons and they utilize the facility to increase warehousing
capacity for Glenfiddich.