Single Malt Scotch Whisky
town of Craigellachie is in the very heart of Speyside distillery
country and in the desirable location close to the rivers
Spey and Fiddich. The name Craigellachie means 'rocky hill'
and was first applied to the cliff on which much of the village
is situated. The village dates back to at least 1750, when
there was a ferry used to cross the Spey. In 1814, the ferry
was replaced by the spectacular single span Craigellachie
Bridge built by Thomas Telford. The award-winning Speyside
Cooperage Visitor Centre, The Craigellachie Hotel of Speyside
and both the Craigellachie and The
Macallan distilleries can also be in this quaint village.
Banffshire AB38 9ST Scotland
Tel: +44 01340 872971
Viewer's Comments about Craigellachie
Craigellachie distillery was founded in 1891 by Craigellachie-Glenlivet
Distillery Co. Ltd. - a group of blenders and merchants led
by Alexander Edward and Sir Peter Mackie. When Edwards retired,
he left sole ownership to Mackie. Peter Mackie - also known
as "Restless Peter" was a determined and energetic
entrepreneur who was responsible for the creation of the famous
White Horse blend. Craigellachie distillery, often referred
to as the White Horse
distillery, has long been associated the blend and stayed
connected to it until it was sold to John Dewar & Sons,
Ltd. (owned by Diageo). In 1998, Diageo sold Dewars to Bacardi
Ltd. Bacardi have since released a 14 year old and 21 year
old cask strength.
Craigellachie is pronounced "Craig-ella-ki" (short
"i"). Michael Jackson's descripiton of Craigellachie's
house style: Sweet, malty-nutty, fruity. After dinner.
The site of Craigellachie distillery, built in 1891 was
in a great location. Not only was it close to both the Fiddich
and Spey rivers, it was close to the railway. The waters
from the Fiddich provided cooling water and power. The source
of water is from a spring on the nearby hill of Little Conval
and collected in the large Blue Hill dam which is up to
40 feet deep. It's no wonder there's never a water shortage
In 1965, the distillery was updated and a new still house
was built along with two additional stills. It has eight
wooden washbacks and delivers 47,000 litres AV of spirit
per week. Most of what you see today was built during this
renovation except for the maltings which is the only building
remaining from the original distillery.
Distillery Tours are not normally available, however tours
for small parties (no more than 4) are sometimes possible.
The tour must be booked in advance, and unfortunately still
cannot be guaranteed if there is a pressing matter within
the distillery. Please call: +44 01340 872971