Founded In 1797, in the small Aberdeenshire village of
Old Meldrum. The granite built distillery lies in the heart
of the traditional highland barley growing area and is an
excellent example of harmony between traditional production
methods and innovative conservation ideas.
For 200 years, the villagers of Old Meldrum have passed
down the art of whisky making from generation to generation
and Morrison Bowmore Distillers Limited have added pioneering
methods of heat and energy conservation to these traditions.
The use of waste heat and carbon dioxide from the distillation
and fermentation process has in the past been utilised to
heat approximately two acres of greenhouse, producing fresh
vegetables for the local villages.
Glen Garioch Highland Single Malt Scotch Whisky reflects
the character of the quiet little village in which it is
produced, typically Highland, full of charm with a long
Glen Garioch Distillery Visitor Centre
Inverurie, Aberdeenshire AB51 0ES
Tel: 01651 873450 Fax: 01651 873451
10.00 am, 11.00 am, 1.00 pm, 2.00 pm and 3.00 pm Monday
to Friday. Your visit includes a tour and dram. VIP tours
and group visits can be arranged by prior appointment. Please
contact the distillery for weekend, Christmas and New Year
£4.00 for adult, £2.00 for O.A.P.’s and
concession. No charge for under 18’s.
Distillery gift shop, free car parking and toilets.
Wheelchair access to the Visitors Centre, car parking &
Meeting facilities are also available.
How to Find The Glen Garioch Distillery
Glen Garioch Distillery can be found in the small Aberdeenshire
village of Old Meldrum, just outside Aberdeen. Leave Aberdeen
via the A96, following signs for the Airport. At the roundabout
junction with the A947, join the A947 towards Old Meldrum.
Remain on the A947 for 14 miles until the junction with
Distillery Road. Turn left onto Distillery Road. We are
located on the left hand side of the road.
Aberdeen Airport is 12 miles from Old Meldrum. Aberdeen
and Inverness train services stop at Dyce station, next
to the Airport.
The nearest station to Old Meldrum is Inverurie which is
5 miles away.
Service 305 from Aberdeen Bus Depot to Inverness stops at
Leave Aberdeen via the A96, following signs for the Airport.
At the roundabout junction with the A947, join the A947 towards
Oldmeldrum. Remain on the A947 for 14 miles until the junction
with Distillery Road. We are located on the left hand side
of the road.
Aberdeen Airport is 12 miles from Oldmeldrum. Aberdeen and
Inverness services stop at Dyce station, next to the Airport.
The nearest station to Oldmeldrum is Inverurie, which is 5
GLEN GARIOCH HISTORY 1794
John Manson (1762-1838) founder with his younger
brother Alexander (1770-1847). They built Glen Garioch distillery
and a brewery on the site of an old tannery which had a
water supply from the Percock Hills.
1794 - Statistical Account
of Meldrum written by Rev Thomas Tait states there are a
distillery and brewery, lately established in it and both
are in a thriving way.
1795 December: Aberdeen Journal
1798 Thomas Simpson purchased
both the distillery and the brewery.
1827 Ingram, Lamb & Co
became new owners and expanded the buildings.
1837 Era of 2 names, as Glen
Garioch was bought by the Strathmeldrum Distillery Company
headed by John Manson Junr, son of founder, who funded his
The distillery was still called Glen Garioch.
1838 Memorandum of John Manson’s
stock June 1838, shortly before his death, records £1,400
lent John Manson Junr Glen Garioch Distillery.
1856 Inverury and Old Meldrum Junction
Railway opened bringing mechanised transport. Whisky casks
no longer sent to Aberdeen by ox cart.
1884 JG Thomson & Co
of Leith (principal Joseph Thomson) becomes new owner.
1886 William Sanderson of Leith, of VAT
69 fame, purchased a 50% interest in JG Thomson & Co.
Twelve men employed under manager Jimmy Shand, who starts
pig farm in distillery grounds. Local peat dug.
1914 - 1918 Low volume production continued
with Glen Garioch office clerk Charlie Taylor acting as
town clerk. Jimmy Shand retires in 1918 aged 73.
1921 After 35 years of Sanderson half-ownership,
William Mark Sanderson, son of William Sanderson, with other
investors, founded the Glengarioch Distillery Co Ltd to take
1933 Booth’s Distilleries
Ltd became new owner.
1937 Scottish Malt Distillers
(SMD), part of DCL, purchased Glen Garioch.
1939 - 1945 World War II: Distillery closed
and some buildings used as army dormitories. SMD restored
production in peacetime.
1968 SMD closed the distillery
because of limited water source and offered it for sale.
1970 Stanley P Morrison Ltd
paid £150,000 for the distillery. Low level production
1972 Glen Garioch becomes the first distillery
in Scotland to gas fire its stills.
November: Glen Garioch was first marketed in bottles. Previously
only blended into brands like Bell’s, Grant’s
Standfast and Drambuie.
New water source is found at Coutens Farm.
1977 Planning permission
obtained for Greenhouse project to make use of waste heat.
1978 Greenhouse project supervised by BBC
Scotland’s Jim McColl attracts initial publicity. North
Sea oil boom brings streams of visitors and expansion from
2 to 3 stills. Small visitor centre opened.
1982 Glen Garioch Distillery display is part
of the British Pavilion at the World Fair in Knoxville, Tennessee.
1988 Glen Garioch displayed a mini-distillery
and greenhouse at Glasgow Garden Festival and is honoured
with visits from Prince Charles, Princess Diana and Prime
Minister, Mrs Margaret Thatcher.
1993 Greenhouse project abandoned.
1994 July: Suntory Ltd became
1995 October: Closed.
1997 Morrison Bowmore Distillers
Ltd, wholly owned subsidiary of Suntory Ltd, became owner.
Courtesy of Glen Garioch Distillery