Spey Single Malt Scotch Whisky
AB38 7AU Scotland
Tel: +44 (0)1340 832 000
Viewer's Comments about Glen Spey
1885 Glen Spey-Glenlivet Distillery was built and put into
production by James Stuart, Esq.. Prior to this, the site
was known as the Mills of Rothes, and, as James Stuart is
initially described as both Corn Merchant and Distillery,
it would appear that the site exercised two separate functions.
In 1887 the distillery was purchased by W & A Gilbey
Ltd., of London. Gilbey also purchased Strathmill
and Knockando distilleries.
1962, the company Gilbey became International Distillers
& Vintners (IDV) after a long collaboration with United
Wine Traders. Glen Spey was taken over in 1972 by Grand
Metropolitan which became part of UDV which is known today
Glen Spey is a key contributor to J&B
Rare - which is the most popular Scotch whisky in Europe
and the number two Scotch in the world. Glen
Spey also contributes other blends like Spey Royal and
the vatted malt Stathspey. Glen Spey Single Malts are very
"Glen Spey is a light-bodied, elegant malt with floral,
exotic aromas and a silky, dry finish." Gordon
Spey Whisky Distillery
The Glen Spey Distillery sits just below Castle of Rothes
- the ancient seat of the noble family of Leslies, Earls
of Rothes. The distilelry had a modern maturation warehouse,
which comprised 10,000 square feet of storage area roofed
with two arched corrugated iron spans. In January of 1892,
an exceptionally heavy fall of snow caused the roof to fall
in and an even greater misfortune occurred in May of 1920
when a major part of the distillery was burned to the ground
with only the still house and warehouses escaping the fire.
Glen Spey was reconstructed and erected the new premises
on a completely new plan, avoiding congestion so evident
at other distilleries, and, establishing an ultra-efficient
arrangement of buildings, machinery and apparatus linking
the various processes in one simple and coherent system.
In 1969, Glen Spey was completely reconstructed again and
the annual production capacity doubled. The number of stills
was doubled and the malting floors transformed in warehouses.
The water source is from the Doonie Burn. The Glen Spey
does not have a visitor centre, but may offer tours. Please
call +44 (0)1340 832 000 for more information.