Single Malt Scotch Whisky
Distillery's history can be traced all the way back to 1810
when it was just a small stone building called Kilnflat. The
distillery operated under the name of Kilnflat until 1878
when at that time it was then renamed Glenburgie. Ownership
of the distillery changed throughout the years, and in 1936,
it was aquired by Ballantine's. Hiram Walker, an American
grocer and distiller who showed a deep understanding of Scotch
whisky distilling was the owner of Ballantine's.
The company eventually merged with Allied Distillers which
was then bought by Pernod Ricard in 2005 and is Glenburgie's
present day owners.
Glenburgie Distillery, By Alves,
IV36 2QY Scotland
Tel: +44 (0)1343 850258
Viewer's Comments about Glenburgie
For a time, the distillery was actually producing two different
whiskies, Glenburgie, and another malt, known as Glencraig,
which was named after Mr William Craig, production director
of Ballantine's at that time. He was actually one of the few
men to have a single malt named after him. Some Glencraig
can still be found but it is unlikely to be distilled again
as in 1981, the Lomond Stills were replaced by a pair of conventional
pot stills. Limited quantities of this very rare malt are
available under Gordon & MacPhail's Connoisseurs Choice
label. (Source: Gordon & MacPhail)
The whisky from the Glenburgie Distillery is an important
component of Ballantine’s blends. House style: An aperitif
style Speyside, with herbal, nutty and fruity character.
Set in a very attractive landscaped location, Glenburgie
Distillery was first established in 1810, however, it was
replaced toward the end of the 19th century by William Paul.
Glenburgie uses water from local springs on nearby Burghie
Hill which flow directly into a large collecting basin in
the distillery grounds. "We have four pot stills producing
lightly peated malt," says brewer Jockie Parson. "In
the past there were two Lomond stills which produced a more
heavily-peated malt bottled separately as Glencraig."
The distillery was closed between 1927 and 1935, but was
reopened and is now run by Allied Distillers. Glenburgie
does not have a visitor centre, although one can contact
the distillery to see if a private tour can be arranged.