Port Single Malt Scotch Whisky
North Port Distillery had three different names during its lifetime
- Townhead, Brechin and lastly North Port. It was built in 1820
as Townhead by brothers and farmers, David, John and Alexander
Guthrie - or Townhead Distillery Company. Just a few years later,
the distillery was renamed Brechin and it soon became under
management of the Guthrie, Martin & Co. partnership. In
1839 the distillery took on its final name, North Port.
Former Site of the North Port Distillery
Brechin, Angus, DD9 6BE Scotland
Viewer's Comments about North Port
The North Port Distillery is located on the east coast of Scotland
in Brechin - the country's smallest town. At one time, Brechin
was walled and the location of the distillery was situated near
the North gate, or North Port to the city. This is how the distillery
came about its name.
In 1922 North Port was sold to DCL (Distillers Company Limited)
and WH Holt & Co. The distillery was then passed several
years later to to SMD (Scottish Malt Distillers) who operated
it under a license by Mitchell Brothers of Glasgow. The distillery
was silent from 1928 until 1937 and once again from 1939 until
1948 when it was being utilized by the Polish infantry.
North Port was one of the distilleries that didn't survive the
years between 1983 and 1985 when the
market was suffering from overcapacity. North Port was mothballed
in 1983, sold in 1990 and eventually demolished to make way
for a Safeway supermarket.
The majority of the production at North Port went to the vatted
malt Glen Dew and to the Heather Dew blends. It can also still
be found as a single malt from independant bottlers. Whisky
writer Michael Jackson described North Port's House Style as
"A fruity but very dry whisky, gin-like. Apertif."
Port Whisky Distillery
The North Port Distillery was founded in 1820 under the name
Townhead. According to whisky writer Alfred Bernard, North Port
obtained its barley from the farmers around Brechin. In addition
he noted the peat and water were from the Grampian mountains.
Whisky historian Derek Cooper indicates the North Port's condensers
were cooled in a stream which ran through the distillery.
The water source for North Port was the Loch Lee. In the 1970s
North Port was modernized, but eventually closed in 1983 due
to overcapacity in the market. It was demolished in the early
1990s and today a Safeway supermarket now stands in its place.