ClubWhisky.com Forum - Questions About Whisky  

Go Back   ClubWhisky.com Forum - Questions About Whisky > All About Whisky! > Single Malt Scotch Whisky

Old 09-26-2015, 05:42 AM

Default Ardbeg Supernova 2015

Anyone know how many bottles of the 2015 Ardbeg Supernova have been released?

Last edited by Islay Peat; 09-27-2015 at 07:16 AM.
Old 09-27-2015, 07:17 AM
ClubWhisky.com Moderator

No idea but I did see bottles of Perpetuum in the store tonight.
Old 09-28-2015, 04:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islay Peat View Post
No idea but I did see bottles of Perpetuum in the store tonight.
Poor Perpetuum! I fear it will go the way of the Auriverdes and end up getting discounted to clear shelf space, sooner or later .
Old 09-28-2015, 04:32 AM
ClubWhisky.com Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son-o'-the-Sod(?) View Post
Poor Perpetuum! I fear it will go the way of the Auriverdes and end up getting discounted to clear shelf space, sooner or later .
As a big Ardbeg fan I never like the Blasda or Galileo and passed on the Auriverdes after reading reviews.
Have you had a chance to try the Perpetuum or heard much about it yet? Not being sure what to do, I bought another backup of Corryvreckan instead.
Old 09-30-2015, 06:32 AM

Quote:
I bought another backup of Corryvreckan instead.
Sipping a Corry now. Definitely off the page in the big, full bodied flavor dept.
Old 09-30-2015, 07:36 AM
ClubWhisky.com Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxcarBill View Post
Sipping a Corry now. Definitely off the page in the big, full bodied flavor dept.
Been mostly sipping away at my bottle of Peat Monster lately. No intention of buying again. Very good, but it's more expensive than the Ardbeg it was modeled after.

However, getting the Corryvreckan into the conversation makes me think I should pour a dram when I get home.

On topic again, have you seen the Supernova anywhere yet? I think I might buy it if I could find it without having to pay shipping. The two older Supernova's were very good and unless it's prohibitively expensive I think it would be a good bet for any Ardbeg drinker.
Old 10-07-2015, 06:03 AM

I saw a bottle of Supernova at a Total Wine at SanTan Village near Phoenix. It was $169, a little more than I want to spend to try it. The Corry is a bit much for me!
Old 10-07-2015, 09:02 AM
ClubWhisky.com Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxHorn View Post
I saw a bottle of Supernova at a Total Wine at SanTan Village near Phoenix. It was $169, a little more than I want to spend to try it. The Corry is a bit much for me!
Yeah, that kind of price I'll be skipping it too.
The Corryvreckan is spendy but a bottle will last me no less than a year and a half and it's one of my absolute favorites!
Old 10-08-2015, 07:54 AM

Quote:
On topic again, have you seen the Supernova anywhere yet? I think I might buy it if I could find it without having to pay shipping. The two older Supernova's were very good and unless it's prohibitively expensive I think it would be a good bet for any Ardbeg drinker.
I'm pretty much at the $100 a bottle limit and even then on extremely rare occasion. Us peasants must keep at least one toe in contact with reality.

I might have a way to save money on purchases in the works but won't know for another month or so. If it pans out I'll PM you about it.
Old 10-08-2015, 08:42 AM
ClubWhisky.com Moderator

Quote:
I'm pretty much at the $100 a bottle limit and even then on extremely rare occasion. Us peasants must keep at least one toe in contact with reality.

I might have a way to save money on purchases in the works but won't know for another month or so. If it pans out I'll PM you about it.
I think I'm even planning on pulling back into the double digits only except for absolute favorites like the Corryvreckan. Really feeling relieved to have a backup and am planning on picking up one more if there's any left when I go back.

Definitely let me know what you find out!
Old 10-08-2015, 04:23 PM
ClubWhisky.com Member

Quote:

My average per bottle price was running around $90, but several purchases over the last 6 months or so have pushed my average over $100 I've got to get a better handle on it, somehow.
Old 12-09-2015, 04:17 AM

I bought a bottle of Perpetuum a few days ago, and it's not so great. Kind of thin and not a very complex flavor. Not bad, but not nearly at the same level as their other expressions.
Old 12-09-2015, 03:34 PM
ClubWhisky.com Moderator

My feelings about the Perpetuum just keep going downhill. When I saw it in the store a while back I was tempted, but bought a backup of Corryvreckan instead.

Now I'm only tempted to go buy another Corryvreckan backup...
Old 12-17-2015, 02:06 PM

I was at a scotch bar (at the Westin Kierland in Scottsdale, AZ, if anyone is curious) and tried a couple of Ardbegs. I didn't take detailed notes, but can offer these observations:

Ardbeg Auriverdes: Outstanding, similar to Uigeadail; nicely balanced with an intensity of flavor that I really enjoyed. Some alcohol hotness, but not over the top. Highly recommended.

Supernova: This one was a bit overly hot from alcohol imo, and while it had a a strong peaty flavor, the flavor wasn't as complex or intense as Auriverdes. It just seemed a bit unbalanced to me. Not bad, just not quite what I was expecting with a name like Supernova.
Old 12-22-2015, 09:35 PM

This is one of the best buys in the country right now and they ship but only to certain states.

http://www.klwines.com/Products/r?d=...t=%20Uigeadail
Old 01-10-2016, 04:38 PM

It's also available for $59.98 at the San Francisco Wine Trading Company. https://www.sfwtc.com/spirits/All/Scotland

It's a great little place in SF if you ever go there, and they have most of a room dedicated to scotch. Sometimes the prices are great on certain items. The Whisky Shop next to the entrance to Chinatown is the holy grail there, huge selection, though prices are a bit steeper.

Here is a video I shot at The Whisky shop a couple years ago: https://youtu.be/unDcLl4dMOc

I spend a boatload of money that day, the best purchase being Springbank 18.

Last edited by PhxHorn; 01-10-2016 at 04:45 PM.
Old 01-21-2016, 07:10 AM

Springbank is good stuff and I only ever had the 10. $40 for Ardbeg 10 is the RIGHT PRICE.
Old 01-22-2016, 01:03 AM

Quote:
Springbank is good stuff and I only ever had the 10. $40 for Ardbeg 10 is the RIGHT PRICE.
+1

Ardbeg 10 for 40 is super nice!
Old 03-02-2016, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXL View Post
+1

Ardbeg 10 for 40 is super nice!
If you can locate Ardbeg 10 at $40 you are very fortunate...the cheapest by me is $55 and i get it for $50 because i buy it every 4-6 weeks from him.
Old 03-03-2016, 12:14 PM
ClubWhisky.com Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmdr.Lee View Post
If you can locate Ardbeg 10 at $40 you are very fortunate...the cheapest by me is $55 and i get it for $50 because i buy it every 4-6 weeks from him.
You guys and your great prices! I wish I could get it for $54 like I used to...