ClubWhisky.com Forum - Questions About Whisky  

Go Back   ClubWhisky.com Forum - Questions About Whisky > All About Whisky! > Single Malt Scotch Whisky

Old 08-10-2007, 05:52 PM
lucymac

Question Single Malt Recommendation

A friend is visiting Scotland soon, and I would like to have him purchase a bottle of single malt whisky for my husband's birthday. My husband drinks single malts regularly, usually from the Speyside and Highland regions, and I would like to have him get something that is not regularly found here in the US. Could you offer some recommendations.
Thanks!
lucymac
Old 08-21-2007, 10:32 PM
Unregistered

Cool Bowmore Is My Choice

Bowmore is possibly the best single malt scotch that no one in the US knows about. It is produced on the island of Islay in Scotland having a superior quality that I am sure you would enjoy. I have a pinch with my H. Upmann Cuban Cigar and it is heavenly. Quite the experience.
Old 11-06-2007, 05:53 AM
Unregistered

Default Laphroaig 25 year old

This is an excellent whisky and is not going to be available in the US before December 2008!
Old 01-15-2008, 12:57 PM
Unregistered

Default Glenfiddich and Old Parr

This is not single malt, but Old Parr is nice. It has a distincive smell (or taste?) of peat. As for a single malt whisky, I like Glenfiddich. This is from Highland. Is Glenfiddich popular in the US? Maybe. I don't know for sure because I live in Japan.
I heard Old Parr is not available in the US. This is a very old blend, probably more than 100 years old. Said to be the first whisky brought in Japan.
Old 01-16-2008, 02:34 PM
Jim

Default Glenfiddich

I like Glenfiddich a lot - and yes, it is very popular in the US. It has been said to be the best selling single malt in the world! It's very smooth and goes with just about everything. I love it.
Old 02-03-2008, 02:08 AM
sunfly1

Default Experience needed

I am wanting to buy a single malt 25 year old bottle for my groomsmen and I wanted to keep the bottle under $250. What would be a few of my best choices, and where would I go to purchase.
Old 02-09-2008, 02:56 AM
Unregistered

Default Glenrothes 1991

I just had this tonight. It was a delightful experience. Very smooth, toffee, vanilla, syrupy, sweet grass. Definitely one I would highly recommend.
Old 03-23-2008, 09:02 AM
novice

Smile Cao Ila or Talisker

Try Caol Ila or Talisker 18 yrs.
They're good.

Last edited by Islay Peat; 11-25-2015 at 09:28 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 04-06-2008, 07:42 PM
Cloudy

Default Husband's B-day

Obviously, if you're husband drinks single malts regularly you're not going to get him the Glennfidich. It is the best selling single malt and for that reason he's probably had it and besides that's like buying a beer lover a Miller lite! I would give your friend a dollar amount and have them ask around at some Scottish pubs for their recommendations.

I, personally, am an Islay lover and have an affinity for the Laphroig 15 yr. But that's just me. Go with the locals and be adventurous.

Good luck
Old 05-08-2008, 11:55 PM
Unregistered

Default something bottled straight from a cask

I would try to find a shop that will bottle whisky straight from a cask. I think Cadenhead on Mile Street in Edinburgh has some casks that they bottle from right in front of you. That is something you won't find in the U.S.
Old 05-17-2008, 11:04 PM
The WhiskyScape Society

I recommend Port Charlotte PC6 with a kiss or two (hersey's chocolate). It´s amazing!!.
Old 08-09-2008, 09:37 PM
Unregistered

Default Dalmore and Jura

Try Dalmore.. arguably one of the better single malts going around these days..

Isle of Jura is good too.. Give that a try!
Old 11-01-2008, 02:12 AM
lsj

The malts i enjoy at the moment are, Auchentoshan three wood 'lowland malt' and Bunnahabhain 'islay malt' absolutely beautifull dram, lots of liqourice, vanilla and honey, (which is what i like) released to its potential with an ice cube.

I also enjoy Glenffidich and Glenlivet. Laphroig is more medicinal, but still a nice malt worth trying. Trying and enjoying a good malt is enjoyable and very personal, as each person will find certain tastes and aromas a bit different. Its worth testing a few drams at your local outdoor to see which type of malts you prefer on the day. Make sure to nose before tasting and happy dramming.
Old 11-04-2008, 03:33 PM
ClubWhisky.com Admin

Thanks for the info lsj - all good information! Which Glenfiddich do you prefer?
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsj View Post
The malts i enjoy at the moment are, Auchentoshan three wood 'lowland malt' and Bunnahabhain 'islay malt' absolutely beautifull dram, lots of liqourice, vanilla and honey, (which is what i like) released to its potential with an ice cube.

I also enjoy Glenffidich and Glenlivet. Laphroig is more medicinal, but still a nice malt worth trying. Trying and enjoying a good malt is enjoyable and very personal, as each person will find certain tastes and aromas a bit different. Its worth testing a few drams at your local outdoor to see which type of malts you prefer on the day. Make sure to nose before tasting and happy dramming.
Old 11-06-2008, 08:54 PM
Unregistered

Default favorite glenfiddich

i enjoy the CAORAN RESERVE - 12 Y a lot. can't find it in the US though.
Old 11-07-2008, 05:55 PM
ruszel

Default Edradour

Smallest distilary in scotland and only aval. in scotland
Old 11-23-2008, 10:11 PM
WhiskeyForPresident

Default Lagavulin 16 years

Hi all,

What a great selection of recommendations!

I'd like to add my 2 cents - the 16-year Lagavulin is a peaty, smoky, smooth devil of a whiskey - before I know it, I've had a "drop" too many :-)

That's not a problem, of course.

I do have to keep buying it often, though!

Cheers,
Suresh
Old 11-30-2008, 05:39 AM
Unregistered

Default scotch

you can actually purchase scotch here in the u.s. cheaper than in scotland. my personal favorite is laphroaig 15yo
Old 01-15-2009, 03:26 AM
Unregistered

I have really been enjoying Ardmore Traditional Cask, lately. It is a Speyside that is peaty and smokey, with a hint of vanilla sweetness in the finish. Very smooth and silky feeling in the mouth.
Old 01-21-2009, 02:14 AM
Unregistered

Default Lighter Scotches

I posted my thoughts on Tormore on the website. Very light and easy for a new Scotch drinker. Wonderful really. Are there any others that you would recommend that have such a light flavor?
Old 01-21-2009, 05:52 AM
ClubWhisky.com Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I posted my thoughts on Tormore on the website. Very light and easy for a new Scotch drinker. Wonderful really. Are there any others that you would recommend that have such a light flavor?
Light scotches? These come to mind....Auchentoshan 10 yo, Glengoyne 10 yo, Cutty Sark (blended malt).
Old 01-28-2009, 10:29 PM
Lucas

Auchentochan 10yo? We have to agree an disagreing here
I think it's quite vile and harsh.

Smoothies for me are: Balblair 1989, Glenmorangie Quinta Ruban, Benrinnes 15yo Flora and Fauna or Glenfarclas 21yo
Old 02-19-2009, 06:29 PM
nitronate

Default Definitely Laphroaig

Quote:
This is an excellent whisky and is not going to be available in the US before December 2008!
I personally have never tried the 25 year old and have never seen it anywhere, but I'm sure it is out of my price range. However, I thoroughly enjoy the 15 year old on a regular basis. It is definitely a Scotch with intense character, as with most of the Islays. I prefer it because it is a bit spicier than most. You can get the Laphroaig 15 for about $70 - $75, a good price for the quality.
Old 02-22-2009, 07:43 AM
Unregistered

Default Bowmore

Quote:
Bowmore is possibly the best single malt scotch that no one in the US knows about. It is produced on the island of Islay in Scotland having a superior quality that I am sure you would enjoy. I have a pinch with my H. Upmann Cuban Cigar and it is heavenly. Quite the experience.
I have a bottle and what is that smell and after taste? It reminds me of that Iodine medicine smell. I guess every body is different. So far the best I've tasted is Glenlivet 18. It has so many flavors from beginning to finish.
Old 04-20-2009, 11:28 AM
Maarten

Quote:
I have really been enjoying Ardmore Traditional Cask, lately. It is a Speyside that is peaty and smokey, with a hint of vanilla sweetness in the finish. Very smooth and silky feeling in the mouth.
Hmm isn't the Ardmore a Highland whisky?
The Distillery is indeed in Speyside, near Aberdeenshire...but it's a traditional peated Highland malt.
Correct me if im wrong though.

Last edited by Islay Peat; 07-02-2015 at 09:47 AM. Reason: removed dead link
Old 04-21-2009, 08:10 AM

Default Best under $250

I believe the Laphroaig 30 yr is around $238 and is VERY good for the price....use wine-searcher.com to find any scotches that you want and the best price wherever your search details lead you.

-Daniel
Old 05-06-2009, 10:49 PM
kvd98

Default Best single malt for around $100

Looking for a gift for a friend. We both are somewhat novices on scotch, but learning. We're both fans of Glenlivet 12yr, and the 15yr french oak reserve. I've also had Macallan 12yr which I enjoyed. Looking for something a little better, around $100. Suggestions?
Old 08-20-2009, 04:15 PM
DaveC

Highland Park 18yo is good. It's around $100. Although I don't have much experience to compare with single malts, my friend and I thought this was great.
Old 08-28-2009, 11:32 PM
jyouden@dslextreme.com

Default Edradour is in the U.S.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruszel View Post
Smallest distillary in scotland and only aval. in scotland
I can get Edradour at the local BevMo as well as several Liquor stores.

I like Edradour, I can get Edradour 12 ($59), and also an Edradour Single Cask bottled by Signatory($72). A place in Pasadena, CA. has ALL the different vintages, usually pretty pricey but they are all very good...

JJJ-D
Old 01-22-2010, 12:24 AM
Whisky.com Expert

Send a message via AIM to buckeyede06
Default If You like Smoky

I just picked up a bottle of Ardbeg 10 yr. Very peaty but with a nice sweet finish. If you like smoky give it a try, it is only 45 dollars too! Cant beat that! I would compare it to a Laphroig with citrus and sugar.
Old 01-22-2010, 12:25 AM
Whisky.com Expert

Send a message via AIM to buckeyede06

THE Macallan is always a good choice, it is like a Glenlivet on steroids!
Old 04-26-2010, 05:03 AM
Unregistered

hey guys!

So, I'm looking for a good scotch for roughly 100 bucks. I've got a list of single malts that i'm considering listed below. Prices are taken from liq.wa.gov, the prices include taxes and markup so that's exactly what I'd pay.

So, how can i narrow this list down to 1?

*$105.50 *GLENLIVET ARCHIVE SGL MALT 21 Y SC
*$101.34 *GLENROTHES VINTAGE 85 SC
*$88.90 *LAGAVULIN DIST EDITION 15 YR SC
*$122.09 *OBAN 18 YEAR MALT SCOTCH
*$105.49 *THE BALVENIE RUM CASK SM 17 YR SC
*$126.25 *THE MACALLAN SGL HIGHL MALT 18 YR

thanks!
Old 04-26-2010, 09:29 AM
Administrator & Owner ClubWhisky.com

For me: THE BALVENIE RUM CASK SM 17 YR SC
Old 04-26-2010, 07:44 PM
ClubWhisky.com Admin

Thumbs up The Glenrothes Vintage 1985

I recently had The Glenrothes Vintage 1985 at the Single Malt & Scotch Whisky Extravaganza and it was easily one of my favorites of the evening. My notes...."Delicious! Very smooth, toffee notes, sweet, fruity, beautiful aroma and really creamy. Easily a favorite." So while I think you certainly have a great list of scotches, if you ask me...this would be my pick! Let us know what you decide. Enjoy!
Old 05-11-2010, 07:05 PM
CragganMac

For light whisky look at Glenkinchie, called by some as the "ladies malt," but do not let that deter you. Folk say the same thing about Dalwhinnie, a label that does not seem to apply. Also, look at Arran's standard 12 yo. Although not always true, the lower you go in mainland Scotland on a map, the lighter the whisky.
Old 06-01-2010, 03:51 AM
Clark

Default For roughly 100 bucks...

Of the ones on the list I've tried the Glenlivet, Lagavulin, Oban and Macallan. Of those, the Macallan was my personal favorite--oaky and very smooth, with a slightly spicy finish; it's exceptional. The Glenlivet is also good--it's much heavier and sweeter, so if you like the sherry cask taste, it would be good for you. Lagavulin is decent if you like smokiness, but there are better options at this price point if that's what you're looking for. I was unimpressed with the Oban--I am generally underwhelmed by any of their offerings, though, so it may be personal preference.
Old 09-17-2010, 05:28 PM

On my quest so far the Highland Park 12 yo is definately a winner at it's price point ($60) in Canada . I've had a few others but this one stands out so far with a smokey smoothness

I'll add others that are stand out (to me ) as I continue to try others . Of course what may be a stand out single malt to one person may not do it for another , taste is subjective .
Old 11-11-2010, 06:06 AM
just passing through

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitehawk55 View Post
On my quest so far the Highland Park 12 yo is definately a winner at it's price point ($60) in Canada . I've had a few others but this one stands out so far with a smokey smoothness
Highland Park 12 year old is my go to single malt. It is one of the spirits that I always keep a bottle on hand (along with Grant's or Teacher's as a blend, Havana Club 7 year old rum, and Iceberg Vodka).

The Highland Park exhibits such balance. It is a little bit of everything. My personal taste runs away from the intensely smoky salty things like Laphroaig or the lighter malts like Glenfiddich. Highland Park is just right
Old 12-21-2010, 11:43 PM
Unregistered

To be honest, you are fairly spoilt in the US, frequently when I visit I buy things made in the UK as they are so much cheaper than they are at home. Unless you have any really specific tastes I would buy something a bit special from the US or even get something from closer to home, I recently wrote about 3 American made super star drams. http://rawdram.blogspot.com/

I hope this helps,

James
Old 12-31-2010, 09:53 PM

when we went to Scotland earlier this year we did not buy a lot of the longer aged scotches because they were not in the tastings. so, we brought home a lot of 10 & 12 year stuff which honestly, we quite enjoy. one of the ones we really enjoyed (which was mentioned above) is Edradour. this is the smallest distillery in Scotland and they do NOT export to the US (we took the tour and they broke the sad news to us there). so i would suggest getting a bottle of that. btw, their cream whiskey is to DIE for. it's kind of like Bailey's but 100 times better. we brought home two bottles of that and are savoring it. Edradour is located in Pitlochry.

as for a higher end - i bought my hubby Ardbeg Uigeadail for christmas (you can find it in some states but not here in PA) and it's FAB. very smooth. it's not yeared because it's a marrying of several of their different aged scotches and recasked in a sherry cask. it's not as peaty as the 10 year and has a wonderful, warm taste. i was honestly shocked that i enjoyed it b/c i'm not a fan of Ardbeg. the cost here in the US is $110 for a bottle.

i'm also a fan of Talisker (slight peat but not much) and it can be found in the US (at least the 10 year). that's around $50 a bottle

also if you like a lighter scotch, as someone else mentioned, Glenkinchie is a good route. on the sweet side and from what i can tell, it's hard to find here in the US.

btw, if you get a chance i suggest doing the Whiskey Experience in Edinburg (on the Royal Mile by the castle). it takes you through the process of how they make scotch, a nosing and also a tasting. they also have quite a large selection at their bar/gift shop. the bar gives you notes on how each tastes so you don't feel like you're just randomly picking something out of a hat.
Old 01-01-2011, 09:31 PM

by the way, another smooth scotch is Glenrothes. this one we were recommended while in Scotland at a castle we stayed at. it's very smooth and can be found in the US (at least here in PA we found it).
Old 01-03-2011, 11:05 PM

Default Glenfiddich - Snow Phoenix

Lucy

There ahve been a few suggestions for Glenfiddich on here. I would go with the new Snow Phoenix. Yes, the earlier poster was right, Glenfiddich is the largest selling Malt in the world but this one is only a release of 2000 bottles so is very spcial.

Jonny.

www.newwhiskyworld.blogspot.com
Old 02-10-2011, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maarten View Post
Hmm isn't the Ardmore a Highland whisky?
The Distillery is indeed in Speyside, near Aberdeenshire...but it's a traditional peated Highland malt.
Correct me if im wrong tho.

That is correct. It is a very nice whisky with nice overtones of peat. It is also pretty reasonably priced.
Old 04-27-2011, 08:47 PM
dramofscotch.com

Default Balvenie 21yr Portwood

I would highly recomment the Balvenie 21yr Portwood. The Portwood is very smooth and has a very balanced flavor

For a taste review check:
dramofscotch.com/2011/04/balvenie-portwood-21yr-476-alc.html
Old 08-03-2011, 05:35 PM
cran

Default looking for $40-60 recommendation

i'd like to put a bottle of scotch on a table at my wedding where I believe a few scotch drinkers will be sitting. i'm looking for a recommendation within the $40-$60 range. i've heard the following is good:

Aberlour a’bunadh
Talisker 10 yr
Macallan Cask Strength / 12 yr / 18 yr
Laphroaig Quarter Cask
Balvenie Doublewood / 15 yr single barrel / Portwood

what's my best bet?

also...since i'm not a scotch drinker myself...is putting a $40 bottle of scotch at a table of (high end) scotch drinkers akin to giving bud light to a beer lover?
Old 08-08-2011, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cran View Post
i'd like to put a bottle of scotch on a table at my wedding where I believe a few scotch drinkers will be sitting. i'm looking for a recommendation within the $40-$60 range. i've heard the following is good:

Aberlour a’bunadh
Talisker 10 yr
Macallan Cask Strength / 12 yr / 18 yr
Laphroaig Quarter Cask
Balvenie Doublewood / 15 yr single barrel / Portwood

what's my best bet?

also...since i'm not a scotch drinker myself...is putting a $40 bottle of scotch at a table of (high end) scotch drinkers akin to giving bud light to a beer lover?
Some $40 whiskies are akin to a mass produced beer and some are not. The whiskies you list above are pretty widely available in the U.S. and are pretty standard whiskies, a few are better than others (depending on one's likes/dislikes) and some are more mass produced then others. That said, they are probably what most of the scotch drinkers at your wedding will know (or should). I'd suggest the Laphroaig and Talisker are risky due to their peat levels and may be fine for a few of your scotch drinking friend but possibly not well liked by a few. Balvenie, Macallan and Aberlour are all from Speyside, have somewhat similar profiles, and are overall generally pleasing and satisfactory whiskies - especially for a group. I would think you wouldn't go wrong with any of them.

Another idea, since it is your wedding and a very special occasion, you could look for a single cask bottling from an independent bottler like Signatory Vintage or Gordon Macphail and give your friends something to drink they likely won't find anywhere else. The bottle would be a one of a kind, hopefully similar to the way you feel about your bride, and you could have all the scotch drinkers sign the bottle and you'd have an interesting keepsake from your wedding. I did something similar with a jeroboam of Krug Champagne at my wedding; six years later, I still have the bottle and my wife and friends continually comment about how great it was, and cool it was that we all drank a Champagne toast out of the same bottle. Anyway, just a thought, and congratulations on the nuptials.
Old 08-16-2011, 03:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jojo View Post
Thanks for the info lsj - all good information! Which Glenfiddich do you prefer?
Glenfiddich 30 yo for sure! I just compared my Glenfiddich 15 yo vs 30 yo with 2 nosing glasses, it's like getting a round of massage vs finishing a round of kick boxing. This not say to say that I don't enjoy the kick boxing, I do; but the 30 yo one give you instead of kicking, a deep reaching massage with an arousal. The 30 yo Glenfiddich is not available everywhere.

Last edited by dalechmd; 08-16-2011 at 03:33 AM.
Old 09-20-2011, 09:50 PM

Any one try GlenTaite 19 year old Single Malt .

Its only $50 at Sam's Club here , I thought this was real cheap for a 19 year old. Whats the story behind this.

http://www.glentaite.com/
Old 09-22-2011, 04:03 AM

Default Whisky at its best!

My all time favourite is Balvenie 21yr old Portwood. The Nektar of the Gods. All around the most satisfying whisky I have ever tasted. For an every day top notch whisky I recommend Highland Park 12yr old, and if you are into Peat then the Dun Beaghan 8 year old (Best bang for the buck)
Old 09-22-2011, 03:49 PM
ClubWhisky.com Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger505 View Post
Any one try GlenTaite 19 year old Single Malt .

Its only $50 at Sam's Club here , I thought this was real cheap for a 19 year old. Whats the story behind this.

http://www.glentaite.com/
These "Sams Club" Macallans are from old stock that Macallan sold off to independent bottlers and/or blenders, who now sold it on to whoever bottles this stuff. (Glentaite)
I have not tried it, but as will ALL independent bottlings, you never really know what you're going to get. It could be devine, revealing complexity not normally seen in standard bottling, or it could be hopelessly flawed. I would bet this is from a vetting of several casks, to generate enough volume to bother bottling and distributing. It has not passed the quality testing that a Macallan produced product would to insure a consistent flavor profile. With that in mind, even if one vatting is good, the next may be very different.
Mark Gillespie of the whiskycast did a review of a sams Macallan, and while it got a fair score, it was far below the score of the official distillery bottlings. I can't remember the scores, but they should be online.
If you give it a go, post a review.

AUDENTES FORTUNA IUVAT
十人十色
"Chill out, it's just a whisky forum."
Old 09-23-2011, 12:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEtherMan View Post
These "Sams Club" Macallans are from old stock that Macallan sold off to independent bottlers and/or blenders, who now sold it on to whoever bottles this stuff. (Glentaite)
I have not tried it, but as will ALL independent bottlings, you never really know what you're going to get. It could be devine, revealing complexity not normally seen in standard bottling, or it could be hopelessly flawed. I would bet this is from a vetting of several casks, to generate enough volume to bother bottling and distributing. It has not passed the quality testing that a Macallan produced product would to insure a consistent flavor profile. With that in mind, even if one vatting is good, the next may be very different.
Mark Gillespie of the whiskycast did a review of a sams Macallan, and while it got a fair score, it was far below the score of the official distillery bottlings. I can't remember the scores, but they should be online.
If you give it a go, post a review.

Thanks for the info , I was going to give it a shot for $50 but I don't really know if I would care for it .Since I heard most Mccallan is fruity tasting and I'm currently looking for something without the fruit blast.
Old 09-27-2011, 10:25 PM

The Costcos here in NJ which have liquor licenses have had a couple Macallan bottlings similar to the Sam's idea the last few years. Both times I saw it they were Murray McDavid bottlings and both were 16s bottled specifically for Costco (I only tried the first one, as I'm not a real fond of Macallans distilled in the last 20 years). Price was $52-54. Costco sells the Macallan 12 OB just above cost, off the best wholesale deal here in NJ most of the time, at $43.99. Interestingly, the MMcD bottlings don't fly off the shelves as most customers likely don't even know what the bottling is.

In the world of the independent bottler, there are some better than others, but given the choice, I almost always try them over OBs anytime. True there are flawed whiskies out their that get bottled by lesser bottlers, but there are tons of flawed whiskies in cask which simply get married with satisfactory casks and offered as regular OBs from the distillers themselves.

When I go back and look at my tasting notes and look for my most noteworthy whiskies, 7 out of 10 of them are single cask bottlings and 2 of 10 are super small marriages of 2-5 casks. As many distillers don't offer single cask bottlings, the only way to get single cask bottlings of their whisky is by trying an independent bottling. Thus, I'm of the opinion you're safer trying a bottling from a respected independent bottler - or at least improving your odds of getting something better than average.

Finally, if you really know and love something like the Macallan 12 OB, could pick it out blind... you may hate most single casks bottlings of Macallan because they will always show different from the Macallan you know and love since they exhibit incredible individuality from cask to cask. So much so, you may not even be able to identify in it what you love so much about the OB. This is not to say the single cask bottling is flawed, though it leaves a lot of tasters believing so, but a much purer expression of the distillers spirit than their OB.
Old 12-08-2011, 10:14 PM

Default Help

My boss has mentioned that he had a single malt scotch that he liked very much and has not been able to find again. The problem is i am not sure how to spell the name. I think it is brooklatte or something like that. Any help? The office would like to get him a bottle for christmas. Thanks................
Old 12-09-2011, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BARON1169 View Post
I think it is brooklatte or something like that. Any help? The office would like to get him a bottle for christmas. Thanks................
That would be Bruichladdich from Islay. There are lots of expressions of this whisky and price points so you shouldn't have any problem finding something from them that will fit your budget and be appealing to your boss.
Old 12-09-2011, 08:56 PM
ClubWhisky.com Moderator

They just released their first 10 yr old under the new ownership. Unlike almost everything else they released, it's a new standard addition to their line. I've not seen it for sale, but I imagine that it's quite affordable. See if you can find a bottle.
Cheers.

AUDENTES FORTUNA IUVAT
十人十色
"Chill out, it's just a whisky forum."
Old 01-01-2012, 03:19 AM

My personal favorites:

Glenlivet 18yr
Bowmore 12yr
Talisker 10yr
Ardbeg 10yr
Aberlour 12yr
Old Pulteney 12yr

If you haven't tried one of these, I highly suggest you should!!
Old 02-09-2012, 03:27 PM

Default Amazing Glen Grant 1959 47 year old

Hey guys, I just had a glass of Glen Grant 1959 47 year old. It was absolutely gorgeous. Found it on a relatively new whisky website htfw.com. They package their whisky in really nice packaging.
Old 02-15-2012, 10:48 PM

Default suggestion

Brucihladdich 16 E Cuvee Sauternes....a mighty fine malt !
Old 07-18-2012, 02:39 PM
Whisky.com Member

I say try the Aberlour A'bunadh no age statement but absolutely delightful
Old 08-22-2013, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucymac View Post
A friend is visiting Scotland soon, and I would like to have him purchase a bottle of single malt whisky for my husband's birthday. My husband drinks single malts regularly, usually from the Speyside and Highland regions, and I would like to have him get something that is not regularly found here in the US. Could you offer some recommendations.
Thanks!
lucymac
Im sure he will like Glengoyne or Dalwhinnie.
Old 11-27-2013, 03:50 AM

Hi guys, I unfortunately know nothing about whisky, but I want to buy my friend a nice bottle for the holidays. I know he likes .... Johnnie Walker Black I feel like that's like the bud light of whiskeys.... I also asked him about JW Blue label, and he ironically said that he would prefer the black label. I guess price is not the end all be all in the Whiskey world? Regardless, any recommendations based on that taste preference? I was thinking Balvenie 12 or 15? Thanks in advance.
Old 11-27-2013, 04:25 AM

Maybe get him a bottle of the JW Double Black. If he likes black he'll love the double black.
Old 11-27-2013, 04:33 PM

I was hoping to get him something imported and never tried before but double black is def a good plan b!
Old 11-27-2013, 07:04 PM
ClubWhisky.com Moderator

I've had the Black, Double Black, Green and Blue and agree the Double Black is pretty good, but if you'd like to try one that is a bit difficult to get ahold of, not all that expensive, and holds a good chance of his liking it, the Green is my personal favorite of the whole JW lineup.
Old 11-27-2013, 08:57 PM
Administrator & Owner ClubWhisky.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by CigarEmpire View Post
Hello fellow members. Anyone know what single malt scotch would pair well with a Nicaraguan puro blend? Thank you.
Are you referring to the Davidoff Nicaragua? I am also a cigar lover. Anyone here visit the Grand Havana Room in Beverly Hills? I am there every Thursday.

Springbank 15

Last edited by michael; 11-27-2013 at 09:01 PM.
Old 12-13-2013, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucymac View Post
Thanks!
lucymac
Hi, I am new to this forum, If I had a choice of something to add to my collection, I would say Jura 21 year old. Not easily found but amazing
Old 12-28-2013, 02:32 PM

Default White HEATHER whisky

I've got,as a present, a bottle of White HEATHER whisky bought at (around) 1978/1979 at London Airport .
This bottle was in family cellar for more than 30 years , unopened of course .

Can you help me to find out : what is the year of production of the whiskey in the bottle , origin , history .... I think this whisky in bottle is older than me (40 year). Also if it is possible to estimate collector's price of this bottle .
I 'm also collecting quality and rare drinks .
Old 07-01-2014, 03:05 PM

Agree with is lay peat on the JW line up. JW is the only vatted malt and is a favorite of mine. This bottling is getting dropped from the line up so if you see them get them before they're gone.
Old 06-18-2015, 12:14 PM

Penderyn Single Malt Welsh Whisky was absolutely gorgeous for me.

I like to have 100 Pipers Deluxe Mini..i really enojy it...

Last edited by Islay Peat; 08-31-2015 at 04:33 PM.

Tags
edradour, highland park, port charlotte, signatory, single cask