ClubWhisky.com Forum - Questions About Whisky  

Go Back   ClubWhisky.com Forum - Questions About Whisky > All About Whisky! > Single Malt Scotch Whisky

Old 10-20-2008, 03:11 AM

Default What Is the Best Temperature to Store Whisky?

Hello all, I'm new here so I just wanted to say hi. Also, my question is, what is the best temp/humidity to store unopened/opened bottles of whisky? Would a wine cooler be suitable (with the bottles upright)? How about a walk in humidor at 68/68%? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

P.S. sorry if this post is in the wrong place.
Old 10-20-2008, 05:47 PM
ClubWhisky.com Admin

Default Ideal storage & temps for storing Scotch whisky

If you have a wine cellar, by all means store both your opened & unopened bottles of whisky there. And of course as you're already aware, don't allow the cork to come in continuous contact with the spirit. Ideal temps for storage is between 65 and 67 degrees.
Old 10-21-2008, 03:49 AM

Cool thanks, for now I have them stored in a walk in humidor/cooling system. It should do the trick hopefully
Old 10-21-2008, 04:02 AM
ClubWhisky.com Admin

Actually, I'm not 100% sure about storing Scotch in a humidor. You would have to make sure any opened bottles are very tightly and properly closed! You certainly don't want any moisture sneaking in!
Old 10-21-2008, 03:58 PM

Hmmm.... I hope it's not bad to store in .. Yikes. Does anyone else here know about storing Whisky in a Temperature/Humidity controlled environment?
Old 10-21-2008, 04:18 PM
ClubWhisky.com Admin

Actually, the more I think about it, I recommend keeping your Scotch in a cool, dry, dark place - where it won't be continuously exposed to extremes of temps. (I'm concerned about the humidity in the humidor in constant contact with the cork). Just keep it OUT of the sunlight, keep it in the presentation box it came with (more protection) and in an upright position.
Old 10-22-2008, 12:47 AM

Thanks Jojo, none of the bottles I have are old (old corks) so I would imagine that they have good seals. I can't believe that there isn't any info online about humidity and how it can/can't effect whisky storing. If anyone finds anything please let me know..... Thanks
Old 10-22-2008, 05:35 PM
Pete

Default my thoughts

My personal opinon is that storing whisky on anything but a shelf is a waste of time. Unlike wine, it does not change in the bottle.

Liqueurs are a different matter as sometimes the ingredients in them can spoil. Also some of the liquors that have fruit in them can spoil.
Old 02-17-2012, 03:32 AM

Question Storage open bottles in Refrigerator

Is it ok to store an opened bottle in a refrigerator?
Old 02-22-2012, 03:59 AM

If you're talking scotch, definitely not (unless you plan on drinking the whole bottle in one sitting - no, don't try that!!). Some white wines are probably OK in the fridge for a short time, say a couple of days.
Old 04-22-2012, 03:32 AM

Default Using wine storage facility?

As a follow-up to this, I keep my nicer wines in a commercial wine storage facility where the temperature is kept constant at 57 degrees with a 65% that is commonly recommended for fine wine. I'd love to hear from the distinguished experts on this site - will this be OK for my nicer whiskies as well? I want to make sure it's not too cold.

Penny for your thoughts!
Old 04-26-2012, 03:45 AM

Cellar temperature with this humidity percentage is perfect.
Old 01-15-2016, 08:21 AM

Default Default Using wine storage facility?

Hi Frankie,
For your wine storage, 55 degrees Fahrenheit temperature is perfect but that temperature doesn't go well with the storage of whiskey. So it's a bad Ideaaa

The ideal temperature to store your whiskey is around 60-65 degree Fahrenheit . Also make sure that your bottle is tightly closed and always keep your bottles in cool dry and dark place. Just keep your bottle upright.

Why don't you try buying a wine cellar for storing your whiskey. There are several wine cellars available with latest technologies and with accurate temperature and humidity control conditions or just take an advice from the expert.

I also took help from this website(http://www.griffinwinestorage.com/) for my whiskey and wine storing problems and it's really helpful. you can also check it out and do let me know if it's of any use for you. I will be glad if my help will be useful.

Last edited by Larry McCoy; 01-27-2016 at 05:20 AM.

Tags
storing whisky