ClubWhisky.com Forum - Questions About Whisky  

Go Back   ClubWhisky.com Forum - Questions About Whisky > All About Whisky! > Single Malt Scotch Whisky

Old 01-20-2016, 12:29 AM

Default New Here, My Collection So Far

Hello Malt lovers, I'm new to this site and pretty green to Single Malt Scotch as well. Im a quick learner though and here is a couple bottles I picked up recently.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Love love love the finish on the 'fiddich 15, I like it much more than the fiddich 12 and even better than the 18. I think they are on to something with the Solera way.

Highland Park 12. The burst on this is amazing for a 12 year, I bought it because I liked the HP Dark Origins sample I had so much. Come to find out the Dark Origins is non chill filtered and contains no coloring. I believe that its why I liked the DO so much, so I searched for an affordable non chill filtered SMS and found Ardbeg 10.
Im off to find a deal on the Ardbeg 10 and the HP Dark Origins!
Old 01-20-2016, 02:32 AM
ClubWhisky.com Moderator

I think a lot of us like the Glenfiddich 15 over the 18 but for Highland Park definitely the 18!

For Ardbeg the 10 is always great no matter how many others you fall in love with but you must absolutely go and find a bottle of Corryvreckan!
Old 01-20-2016, 04:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islay Peat View Post
I think a lot of us like the Glenfiddich 15 over the 18 but for Highland Park definitely the 18!

For Ardbeg the 10 is always great no matter how many others you fall in love with but you must absolutely go and find a bottle of Corryvreckan!
Thanks! I'll definitely look for the Corryvreckan. WOW 57.1 ABV
Old 01-20-2016, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXL View Post
Thanks! I'll definitely look for the Corryvreckan. WOW 57.1 ABV
If the Corry is a bit wild for you try some Uigeadail as a stepping stone. I can never get enough Ardbeg 10. An opened bottle never lasts long even when I'm drinking mostly other selections. It and Balvenie DoubleWood 12 are my house malts.
Old 01-20-2016, 06:45 PM
ClubWhisky.com Moderator

Bill always has the trifecta you see in his avatar on hand but I gave up on keeping Uigeadail around after discovering the Corrvreckan, so my personal Ardbeg lineup consists of it, 10 and Ardbog.

Just had a sip of the Corrvreckan to make sure and, yep, it's a must have. Make sure to exhale through your nose after drinking and the smoky goodness will last for a long time afterwards.
Old 01-20-2016, 09:26 PM

I decided to look for and purchase all the Ardbegs that I can find, even though I have plenty of other malts to try.I like the 10 that much, and I'm sure the other expressions are as good or better.

My local La Bodega has an Ardbeg called Perpetuum. Anyone have any experience with this particular expression?

http://www.labodegawine.com/r/produc...lery-perpetuum
Old 01-21-2016, 06:28 AM

Quote:
I decided to look for and purchase all the Ardbegs that I can find, even though I have plenty of other malts to try.I like the 10 that much, and I'm sure the other expressions are as good or better.

My local La Bodega has an Ardbeg called Perpetuum. Anyone have any experience with this particular expression?

http://www.labodegawine.com/r/produc...lery-perpetuum

Yes, you'll want to read the thread called Ardbeg Supernova 2015.
Old 01-21-2016, 07:13 AM
ClubWhisky.com Moderator

Quote:

The first time I tried Ardbeg 10 I was completely floored. One thing I love with the Ardbegs and Lagavulins is that I can get thorough enjoyment for hours sometimes just sniffing time and again, taking just a sip every 15th or 20th time of picking it up.

Other favorites of mine I seem to have to take a sip every time as the nosing part of the experience, though enjoyable, just isn't enough to satisfy.

Perpetuum and the newest Suprenova are both ones that I'm probably not going to buy based on reviews, even though I sometimes disagree with the reviewers.

Most definitely get the Uigeadail and Corryvreckan and if you're still in the buying mood get a bottle of the standard Lagavulin 16 and if you can find it the 12 as well. The Lagavulin 12 is their crowning achievement, at least within the realms of what we mortals can afford. Caol Ila 12 too, get that one.
Old 01-21-2016, 11:36 PM

Thanks for information guys, I appreciate all your wisdom!

I added to my humble collection today. I had to go with the HP Dark Origins this time around, Im gonna grab the Ardbeg Corry next month.
I also got a pretty good deal I think on the Laphroaig 10... I got it for 30 bucks!

Updated family pic:

Dark Origins is non chill filtered and at 46.8 ABV, It seems that its a throwback to Highland Parks original whisky. It says its double first fill sherry casks. Id like someone to try it and discuss their findings with me.
Old 01-21-2016, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Id like someone to try it and discuss their findings with me.
$30 can't be beat for the Laphroaig 10. I'd like to hear your comparison of the Laphroaig 10 to the Ardbeg 10.
Old 01-22-2016, 01:10 AM

Quote:
The first time I tried Ardbeg 10 I was completely floored. One thing I love with the Ardbegs and Lagavulins is that I can get thorough enjoyment for hours sometimes just sniffing time and again, taking just a sip every 15th or 20th time of picking it up.

Other favorites of mine I seem to have to take a sip every time as the nosing part of the experience, though enjoyable, just isn't enough to satisfy.

Perpetuum and the newest Suprenova are both ones that I'm probably not going to buy based on reviews, even though I sometimes disagree with the reviewers.

Most definitely get the Uigeadail and Corryvreckan and if you're still in the buying mood get a bottle of the standard Lagavulin 16 and if you can find it the 12 as well. The Lagavulin 12 is their crowning achievement, at least within the realms of what we mortals can afford. Caol Ila 12 too, get that one.
Im definitely getting the Corry next month, and maybe Ill pick up a Lag 16 if I can find a deal on it. Caol Ila is on the sooner rather than later list as well as Old Pulteney, though I have heard the Old P isnt as good lately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxcarBill View Post
$30 can't be beat for the Laphroaig 10. I'd like to hear your comparison of the Laphroaig 10 to the Ardbeg 10.
Yeah I was lucky to get it at that price, I think the cashier at the La Bodega kind of likes me, she said if I could name the song that was playing and the artist correctly I would get a discount on a bottle. I guessed correctly

I will do comparison between the 10's soon.
Old 01-22-2016, 12:22 PM
ClubWhisky.com Moderator

Quote:
Im definitely getting the Corry next month, and maybe Ill pick up a Lag 16 if I can find a deal on it. Caol Ila is on the sooner rather than later list as well as Old Pulteney, though I have heard the Old P isnt as good lately.

Yeah I was lucky to get it at that price, I think the cashier at the La Bodega kind of likes me, she said if I could name the song that was playing and the artist correctly I would get a discount on a bottle. I guessed correctly

I will do comparison between the 10's soon.
You might pass on the Old Pulteney 12 but if you could get the 17 instead, very worthwhile.

The price you got the Laphroaig for, you should go back an get some more!

Both the Laphroaig and Ardbeg are definitely worth having beside each other, but while they share similarities, more different than alike to me. Can't wait to hear your take on them.

Little Islay trivia: Ardbeg, Lagavulin and Laphroaig are all within a mile of each other. Closely related, and yet so different.
Old 01-23-2016, 01:32 AM

Quote:
You might pass on the Old Pulteney 12 but if you could get the 17 instead, very worthwhile.

The price you got the Laphroaig for, you should go back an get some more!

Both the Laphroaig and Ardbeg are definitely worth having beside each other, but while they share similarities, more different than alike to me. Can't wait to hear your take on them.

Little Islay trivia: Ardbeg, Lagavulin and Laphroaig are all within a mile of each other. Closely related, and yet so different.
Yes, "more different than alike" I agree with this statement completely.
Both very complex for 10 year olds.
I like both very much for their differences as in their similarities.

I like the nose of the Laphroaig a bit more than the Ardbeg, but not by much. I think a splash of water helps the Laphroaig open up a bit more but I like the Ardbeg with out the splash, in nose and sip. It seems a splash takes away something from the Ardbeg, to me anyway.

The finish on the Ardbeg is longer and has a bigger kick, I like the non chill factor and the higher ABV.. but I find the Laphroaig to have a more full body and overall less dry. Again the splash helps the Laph I think. ( Which I guess is sort of weird as I think the Laph is chill filtered and has a lower ABV, so in a way wouldnt the splash benefit the Ardbeg more?)

I like them both alot and will look to repurchase each when the bottles are dry, which will be sooner rather than later

Last edited by XXL; 01-23-2016 at 01:40 AM.
Old 01-23-2016, 05:44 AM

I think the Laphroaig 10 has more flavor and body but isn't as refined as the Ardbeg 10. I like the flavor of the Ardbeg better. I also get a bit of a cooked vegetables flavor from the Laphroaig which I don't care for (are they using a more sprouted version of malt?).

I will pick the Ardie over the Laphroaig every time but I wouldn't kick the Laphroaig out of bed. For $30 I would have tried to secure more that 1 bottle.
Old 01-24-2016, 02:18 AM

Quote:
I think the Laphroaig 10 has more flavor and body but isn't as refined as the Ardbeg 10. I like the flavor of the Ardbeg better. I also get a bit of a cooked vegetables flavor from the Laphroaig which I don't care for (are they using a more sprouted version of malt?).

I will pick the Ardie over the Laphroaig every time but I wouldn't kick the Laphroaig out of bed. For $30 I would have tried to secure more that 1 bottle.
I tried to score more Laph 10 for $30 today at La Bodega but she wasnt there.. They did offer it for $39.99 but I passed, Im saving my money for the Corry.
Old 01-26-2016, 03:09 AM

New bottle added to my collection... Highland Park 15! Now I have three HPs and cant wait to get the HP18 some day.
Old 01-27-2016, 02:35 PM
ClubWhisky.com Moderator

How are you liking the Highland Park 15 compared to the 12? I like the 12 for the price but the 18 is my favorite.

I just picked up a bottle of the Balvenie 15 Single Barrel Sherry Cask and I'm pretty happy with it. It's got a bit of Macallan on the nose, but all Balvenie on the palate.
Old 01-27-2016, 08:39 PM

Quote:
How are you liking the Highland Park 15 compared to the 12? I like the 12 for the price but the 18 is my favorite.

I just picked up a bottle of the Balvenie 15 Single Barrel Sherry Cask and I'm pretty happy with it. It's got a bit of Macallan on the nose, but all Balvenie on the palate.
I have yet to try a Balvenie. I like some Sherry but not into Sherry bombs. Its not a bomb is it?

The HP 15 is delicious. It has more smokey woody finish than the 12. For the 15 they use more American Oak casks than any other HP expression and it definitely has an effect. HP 18 is next, then Ardbeg Corry, then Lag 16. Thats the next three on my list. Though I might get the Ardbeg Uig before the Lag 16.

So far HP and Ardbeg are my two favorite.
Old 01-27-2016, 10:36 PM
ClubWhisky.com Moderator

I couldn't say for sure but if you're enjoying the Macallan 12 pictured in the OP then I'm sure you would not find it to be too strong in the sherry influence. I have recollection of not liking too much sherry influence in the past, but this being a Balvenie, is very nicely balanced and what I've noticed in regards to sherry influence is very light, as if just lightly seasoned rather than making it the focal point. You might look at some of the threads focused on Balvenie where you'll see that the 15 Single Barrel was one of the most loved Balvenie's made and a lot of us were disappointed to see it discontinued.

I still have a bottle and a half of the original and am really excited to have been able to find this newer version to be very worth buying again.

Listing in order from most to least of which maker I have more than one bottle of, Balvenie is at the top with 12, 14, 15, 17 and 21. Oddly enough, the most expensive is the only one I've never really bonded with, although many others favor it highly.
Next would be my Lagavulin 16, Distillers Edition and their absolute best, 12.
Ardbeg 10, Ardbog, Corryvreckan. I don't buy the Uigeadail anymore because for me, it makes me think of a more affordable version of Corryvreckan.
Laphroaig 10, Cask Strength and Cairdeas (which absolutely tastes nothing like a Laphroaig so much as a Lagavulin).
Hakushu 10 (unfortunately discontinued) and 12 (not nearly as good as the 10 had been, and twice the price too).
Highland Park 12, 18. For the price I may buy the 12 again, but the 18 is one of my absolute favorites.
Taketsuru 17, 21. (Taketsuru 17 has taken best malt blend in the world awards twice in the past few years.)

Listing my absolute favorites I would go with Ardbeg (all of them depending on mood, but Corryvreckan the highest), Balvenie 15 and 17, Lagavulin 12 then 16 (probably will never buy the Distillers Edition again because I'd rather spend a little more and have the 12 instead), Hakushu 10, Hibiki 17, Ichiro's Malt Wine Reserve.

The Lagavulin 16 should be one of the easier ones for you to find in a restaurant and it'll be interesting to hear what you think of it. I could live with Lagavulin 16 as the only scotch I'd ever drink again if it came to it and be pretty happy.

Last edited by Islay Peat; 01-27-2016 at 10:40 PM.
Old 01-30-2016, 04:09 AM

Wow. SO much good stuff you have that I want to try!
Looks like I need to push the Lagavulin up the list as well as the Balvenie double wood.

Curious about what you guys think of Springbank? Any good or overpriced?
Old 01-30-2016, 10:18 AM

Quote:
I only ever had the Springbank 10. I thought it was very good. It's different tasting than anything else I ever had. It's not cheap but I will always go for more/try other Springbank, if it's priced reasonably.
If I had to describe it I would say it's not a noticeably sweet whisky and it has a musty wood characteristic to it which I like.

Last edited by BoxcarBill; 01-30-2016 at 10:28 AM.
Old 01-30-2016, 02:10 PM
ClubWhisky.com Member

Quote:
It's on my list, but I've not made it to Springbank yet. Right now, my list looks like this:

Talisker 18

Glenmorangie 18

BenRiach 20

Oban 14

Old Pulteney 12

Springbank 10

Around here, Springbank is a little more expensive than many others of comparable age, but not outrageously so. Definitely a whisky I'll get to, one of these days.

Right now, still working my way through a Bunnahabhain 18, Laphroaig Cairdeas, GlenDronach 21 Parliament, and a Balvenie Tun 1509 batch 1.

So many others yet to try...

Last edited by john_b; 01-30-2016 at 02:13 PM.
Old 01-31-2016, 09:01 AM

The Springbank 10 I had was very tasty, lots of flavor.
Old 02-01-2016, 09:45 AM
ClubWhisky.com Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by john_b View Post
Talisker 18
Old Pulteney 12
Bunnahabhain 18
I was not a Talisker or Old Pulteney fan until I tried the Talisker 18 and Old Pulteney 17.

Bunnahabhain 12 and 18 both very good!
Old 02-25-2016, 10:47 PM

Updated family photo

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0634_zpsyeh3xotn.jpg
Views:	550
Size:	92.9 KB
ID:	2386  

Last edited by Islay Peat; 02-26-2016 at 12:25 PM.
Old 02-27-2016, 11:19 PM

I'm thinking I'm going to need a new bottle of HP 12 soon
Old 02-28-2016, 10:44 AM
ClubWhisky.com Moderator

You've got no Balvenie yet!
Old 02-29-2016, 02:36 AM

Quote:
You've got no Balvenie yet!
I should pick up a bottle of that Doublewood shouldn't I.
Old 02-29-2016, 10:00 AM
ClubWhisky.com Moderator

Quote:
I should pick up a bottle of that Doublewood shouldn't I.
I'd say go for the Single Barrel 15 or Doublewood 17 if you can. Trouble is, they could ruin you for a lot of other whiskies.
Old 03-02-2016, 10:10 PM

Quote:
I'd say go for the Single Barrel 15 or Doublewood 17 if you can. Trouble is, they could ruin you for a lot of other whiskies.
Hmm now Im really interested but.. Talisker 1st, then Ardbeg, then a Balavenie. Oh and I need more HP 12 haha
Old 03-03-2016, 12:11 PM
ClubWhisky.com Moderator

Quote:
Hmm now Im really interested but.. Talisker 1st, then Ardbeg, then a Balvenie. Oh and I need more HP 12 haha
Talisker = 18
Ardbeg = 10, Corryvreckan, Uigeadail, Ardbog
Balvenie = 12, 15, 17

Just my preferences speaking

I own all of these, but especially the ones in bold are absolutely fantastic.
Old 03-04-2016, 06:20 AM

What I'm wanting to know is ..... where are you guys finding Pint sized bottles here in the states? I live in Kentucky, and have had a heck of a time finding enough Balvenie to complete the collection I have started. The last time I was at my local liquor store I was able to purchase a complete "case" of 3 bottle sample packs, but I still can't find the Carribean Cask anywhere.

In retreat, I have resorted to sipping on my Blanton's Single Barrel Bourbon while I anxiously search for more bottles to complete my collection. Luckily, Blantons is a native brand of Sazerac which is 10 miles down the road from me here in Kentucky.
Old 03-04-2016, 06:52 AM

I opened the Talisker 10. Quite tasty, I like it better than the subdued Caol Ila 12. Followed it with a bit of Corry. I'm still sniffing the empty glencairn 45 mins later.
Old 03-04-2016, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KYMountainMan View Post
What I'm wanting to know is ..... where are you guys finding Pint sized bottles here in the states? I live in Kentucky, and have had a heck of a time finding enough Balvenie to complete the collection I have started. The last time I was at my local liquor store I was able to purchase a complete "case" of 3 bottle sample packs, but I still can't find the Carribean Cask anywhere.

In retreat, I have resorted to sipping on my Blanton's Single Barrel Bourbon while I anxiously search for more bottles to complete my collection. Luckily, Blantons is a native brand of Sazerac which is 10 miles down the road from me here in Kentucky.
I am located in Jacksonville, FL. and I have the same issue finding the higher quality sample bottles. When it comes to the common spirits, such as Glenlivet, you can find a bottle here or there. The cheap mass-produced spirits are all over the place, but I've found that the only place with a good selection of sample bottles is my local Total Wine superstore. Do you have one of those in Kentucky?
Old 03-05-2016, 06:54 PM

I find all my mini samples from La Bodega or BevMo. I live in California though maybe either of those two stores are in your state.
Old 03-05-2016, 06:57 PM

Quote:
I opened the Talisker 10. Quite tasty, I like it better than the subdued Caol Ila 12. Followed it with a bit of Corry. I'm still sniffing the empty glencairn 45 mins later.
I did sort of the same last night, I had the Talisker 10 then followed it up with the Ardbeg 10. Not quite the same caliber as the Corry I assume but yeah the glencairn was smelling so nice after it was all gone.

Im thinking HP18 tonight and I cant wait to save my money for the Talisker 18 that Islay Peat mentioned was soooo good!
Old 03-07-2016, 06:03 AM
ClubWhisky.com Moderator

Quote:
I did sort of the same last night, I had the Talisker 10 then followed it up with the Ardbeg 10. Not quite the same caliber as the Corry I assume but yeah the glencairn was smelling so nice after it was all gone.

Im thinking HP18 tonight and I cant wait to save my money for the Talisker 18 that Islay Peat mentioned was soooo good!
I'm having a Dalwhinnie 15 right now and am glad I gave it another chance. It was one that I didn't like on the first try but have been really enjoying for the past couple months now.

I guess I'll have to try the Talisker 10 again seeing both of you guys seem to be liking it, but yeah, when you can get a bottle of the 18 and the Corryvreckan too, you won't forgive yourself for waiting!

Glad to see you already got yourself a Glencairn. I drug my feet about buying them and actually got one for $1 at the second hand store before deciding I had to get more.