ClubWhisky.com Forum - Questions About Whisky  

Go Back   ClubWhisky.com Forum - Questions About Whisky > All About Whisky! > Single Malt Scotch Whisky

Old 07-09-2016, 05:27 AM

Default Peat Monster

Opened the Peat Monster after finishing off the Talisker 10 and took a sip. Yes, it is very similar to Ardbeg 10. Will have to do a side by side comparison between the P.M. and Ardie 10 next time (tomorrow?).
The Talisker 10 was pleasant enough but it's not quite on my buy again list considering its price.

Last edited by BoxcarBill; 07-09-2016 at 05:49 AM.
Old 07-09-2016, 02:20 PM
ClubWhisky.com Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxcarBill View Post
Opened the Peat Monster after finishing off the Talisker 10 and took a sip. Yes, it is very similar to Ardbeg 10. Will have to do a side by side comparison between the P.M. and Ardie 10 next time (tomorrow?).
The Talisker 10 was pleasant enough but it's not quite on my buy again list considering its price.
Just near the end of my bottle of Peat Monster and the Talisker 18, both. Looking forward to hearing your take, especially with your more refined palate.
Old 07-10-2016, 05:43 AM

Started with the Peat Monster.
It starts out a bit alcohol hot and seemingly light on the flavor I expected but as I sip it becomes more mellow, rich, and complex.
The immediate switch to Ardbeg 10 does indeed at first seem to be of minimal difference but I soon realize the 10 has a bit more peat but not quite the complexity and subtle, underlying richness of the P.M.
Although the Ardbeg 10 is very enjoyable it is somewhat monotone compared to the P.M. I like the P.M. a bit better. The pricing of the 2 seems about right for the quality difference.

I won't have the slightest difficulty knocking off the bottle.

Last edited by BoxcarBill; 07-10-2016 at 05:53 AM.
Old 07-14-2016, 06:56 AM

Just did a reverse comparison starting with the Ardie 10 then going to the P. M. They are both indeed very good whiskys but my opinion remains about the same. The Ardbeg is quite a bit more peated, flavorful and perhaps a bit boisterous, but lacks the refined, silky complexity of the P.M.
Old 07-14-2016, 10:02 PM

Peat Monster isn't a single malt. It's a blend . . . as are other Compass Box whiskies. I think it is a very good Scotch but in spite of the name it is not as peaty as some of the Bruichladdich Octomores.
Old 07-28-2016, 10:40 PM

I had some again and thought it rather alcohol hot all the way through the dram. The power of mood I guess.

Tags
ardbeg, peat monster