ClubWhisky.com Forum - Questions About Whisky  

Go Back   ClubWhisky.com Forum - Questions About Whisky > All About Whisky! > Single Malt Scotch Whisky

Old 08-05-2016, 07:27 AM

Default Semi Dream Bottle - What to Buy?

Hello all!
Pardon my newb question. I have a birthday coming up and have set aside about $250 to buy myself a special bottle. My current goto is The Glenlevit 12 or 18. My pallet is not yet mature enough for Scotchs of the Islay variety. What are your opinions? I have been eyeing The Glenlevit 21. Also The Mcallen 18, but I hear thats over priced.
Thank yall in advance!
Old 08-05-2016, 07:49 AM

ETA: I should add, ABV does not matter to me. Be it 80 proof or cask strength.
Old 08-05-2016, 08:58 AM
ClubWhisky.com Moderator

See if you can find anything from either Longrow or Longmore.
Old 08-07-2016, 02:20 AM

Update.
Wow! Do I feel like a dunce. All these years I thought I did not like Islays. I had tried one awhile back and was turned off. Yesterday I tried Ardberg 10 year and was blow away. I feel like I cheated myself.
Regards
Old 08-07-2016, 06:35 AM
ClubWhisky.com Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jubalplow17 View Post
All these years I thought I did not like Islays. I had tried one awhile back and was turned off. Yesterday I tried Ardbeg 10 year and was blown away.
A couple weeks ago one of my friends said he didn't like the peaty scotches, but he realizes now that he just doesn't like the cheap ones!

If the only thing I ever drank again was Ardbeg 10 I'd be happy. That said, my favorite Islays are Ardbeg Corryvreckan, Lagavulin 12 and Bunnahabhain 18. Put them on your shopping list!
Old 08-07-2016, 06:38 PM

I think I must be the same. Thank you! I certainly will! If the patten of hard to pronounce names holds true, those will be stellar!
Old 08-08-2016, 12:44 AM

For someone just starting out Glenmorangie Milsean is very easy to drink and it comes in below your budget at around $100.
Old 08-08-2016, 09:05 AM
ClubWhisky.com Moderator

Not sure if I've had the Milsean but I did realize a few years ago that I didn't care for any Glenmorangie that I've ever tried. Willing to try again, but it leaves me with little confidence so far.
Old 08-08-2016, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islay Peat View Post
Not sure if I've had the Milsean but I did realize a few years ago that I didn't care for any Glenmorangie that I've ever tried. Willing to try again, but it leaves me with little confidence so far.
I always drink Glenmorangie out of a Glenmorangie glass. A Glenmorangie glass helps you to get a good "nose". I've never liked Glenmorangie out of a Glencairn Whisky Glass.

If you have developed a real taste for Islay Scotch then a Highland whisky like Glenmorangie might not appeal to you.

To our OP - If you can spring for the extra bucks try The Macallan 21. As far as I am concerned it is one of the best Scotches that I have ever tasted.
Old 08-09-2016, 12:10 AM

I've always used a glencarin glass, never seen a Glenmorangie glass. I'll havta look into them.

I recently bought a sampler with Glenfiddich 12, 15 solera, and 18 yr old. They just were not for me.

I'm leaning towards getting both the Lagavulin 12 and Bunnahabhain 18, still staying around my budget. Plus I get more whisky
Although quite tempting, I think I may wait for a more special birthday, and too gain some experience to better appreciate The Macallan 21.
Edited because I can't spell

Last edited by Jubalplow17; 08-09-2016 at 01:17 AM.
Old 08-09-2016, 01:42 AM
ClubWhisky.com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jubalplow17 View Post
Update.
Wow! Do I feel like a dunce. All these years I thought I did not like Islays. I had tried one awhile back and was turned off. Yesterday I tried Ardberg 10 year and was blow away. I feel like I cheated myself.
Regards
Who knows? Sometimes the palate is a funny thing. Maybe the first time it just didn't hit you right.

My first Islay was Lagavulin 16, and it was a bit much for me. I've had it several times since, and although I can drink it and derive some enjoyment from it, it's still not a favorite. But I thoroughly enjoy Laphroaig 18, and their Quarter Cask. Bunnahabhain 18 is really nice. I would almost bet if you tasted Bunna 18 blind, you wouldn't think it was an Islay whisky.
Old 08-09-2016, 06:00 AM

I agree with the pallete being strange for sure. I'm looking forward to trying it. Might have to get it a little early
Old 08-19-2016, 10:10 PM
ClubWhisky.com Admin

Default Laphroaig Quarter Cask

Gotta chime in here on the Laphroaig Quarter Cask - here's what I wrote about it several years ago:

OK, so I'll admit it, I'm not a big Islay fan - but I sure can appreciate them all as I do scotch in general....Right off the top of my head, the Laphroaig Quarter Cask comes to mind - here's what I wrote after I tried it:

Laphroaig Quarter Cask is excellent. Wonderfully balanced combination of smoke, peat, fruit, sweetness. I suggest trying this Scotch, even if peat and smoke characteristics are not your first choice. You'll be pleasantly surprised.

Quote:
Originally Posted by john_b View Post
Who knows? Sometimes the palate is a funny thing. Maybe the first time it just didn't hit you right.

My first Islay was Lagavulin 16, and it was a bit much for me. I've had it several times since, and although I can drink it and derive some enjoyment from it, it's still not a favorite. But I thoroughly enjoy Laphroaig 18, and their Quarter Cask. Bunnahabhain 18 is really nice. I would almost bet if you tasted Bunna 18 blind, you wouldn't think it was an Islay whisky.
Old 08-20-2016, 07:28 PM
ClubWhisky.com Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jojo View Post
Gotta chime in here on the Laphroaig Quarter Cask - here's what I wrote about it several years ago:

OK, so I'll admit it, I'm not a big Islay fan - but I sure can appreciate them all as I do scotch in general....Right off the top of my head, the Laphroaig Quarter Cask comes to mind - here's what I wrote after I tried it:

Laphroaig Quarter Cask is excellent. Wonderfully balanced combination of smoke, peat, fruit, sweetness. I suggest trying this Scotch, even if peat and smoke characteristics are not your first choice. You'll be pleasantly surprised.
I've tried several Laphroaig offerings and my personal favorites are the standard 10 and the Quarter Cask.

Need to get another bottle sometime soon...
Old 12-24-2016, 06:16 PM

Dream big! My dream bottle was a 32yr old Glenrothes - the 1972 vintage.

It was life-changing, but now extinct.

As for bottles you can still find, my standard is The Balvenie 21yr Portwood. Simply amazing.

Another bottle that leaves me weak in the knees is Highland Park 25yr. The 18yr is amazing, but the 25yr is a whole new world.
Old 12-26-2016, 11:23 PM
ClubWhisky.com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwise View Post
Another bottle that leaves me weak in the knees is Highland Park 25yr. The 18yr is amazing, but the 25yr is a whole new world.
Highland Park 25...one of my dream bottles. Well outside my budget, unfortunately

Tags
semi dream bottle