ClubWhisky.com Forum - Questions About Whisky  

Go Back   ClubWhisky.com Forum - Questions About Whisky > All About Whisky! > Single Malt Scotch Whisky

Old 07-14-2017, 06:57 AM

Default Looking For Scotch To Try While In London

This, THIS may just be the best forum i've ever stumbled upon! I was googling like a fool trying to find some suggestions or places to start. First, it HAS to be something I can't find in the united states. I fully intend on hauling back the legal limit of some good **** that's impossible for me to get here without ordering it from the whiskey exchange or elsewhere.

I spent last new years in Dublin, and found some most excellent whiskeys that I brought back. Two bottles of Jameson Crested which still stands as my favorite, and two bottles that I picked up while visiting the Teeling distillery. That was my first ever vacation, being 31 years old, and as a result have caught the travel bug. This September I'm visiting London for a cousin's wedding. I absolutely intend on doing the same in hauling back the legal limit of 4 bottles in my luggage, plus another from duty free.

So, my preference... like I said, jameson crested turned out to be my favorite, for every day throw it over ice and sip on it, i've come to like powers, and if i'm feeling saucy and want something with a little more kick, teeling gets it. when we're talking bourbon, wild turkey is my stuff.

From the thread I found from google searching that led me here, the balvenie golden cask is what intrigued me. That one is on the list. Now I need some more suggestions of stuff to try while i'm bouncing around pubs in London, hoping to find one or two that I really like, so I can seek out a store that I can pick up my legal limit of bottles.

Remember, must be stuff that I cannot buy in the US
Old 07-14-2017, 08:48 AM
ClubWhisky.com Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirOrganDonor View Post
From the thread I found from google searching that led me here, the balvenie golden cask is what intrigued me. That one is on the list.

Remember, must be stuff that I cannot buy in the US
I bought some Golden Cask a few years ago and while I found it enjoyable, it was easily bested by my other favorites from Balvenie, 15 Single Barrel (both new and old) and 17 DoubleWood.

While the original 15 Single Barrel was available in the States, it's been out of production for a few years now, having been replaced by the sherried version, which I like a lot, but still wish for the original to come back. If you were so lucky to find something along those lines still available over there, it would be very worthwhile picking up. I liked it much better than the more expensive 21 PortWood.

Hopefully we'll get some responses from members overseas, or at least ones who know about picking up bottles in the UK which wouldn't otherwise be available over here.
Old 07-15-2017, 02:01 PM

It looks like all the other Balvenie's you mentioned are available at a liquor store that's local to me called Total Wine and Spirits. (totalwine.com) A little digging and the golden cask sounds like it was a limited release that may not be available any more. Perhaps I may get lucky and find some in my travels.

Back to start. I suppose I should mention my experience with scotch is limited. The couple that I've tried that had the heavy peaty taste to it weren't my favorite. The first two that I had ever tried were like that, so I was under the impression they were all like that, and didn't bother to try any more. There was a bottle of "special reserve(?) scotch that I picked up while in Dublin, nothing special but it helped me realize they're not all super peaty. Then I tried monkey shoulder, which I liked. So, any recommendations given, steer me away from the super peaty variety.

Thanks guys
Old 07-15-2017, 05:20 PM
ClubWhisky.com Moderator

Quote:
It looks like all the other Balvenie's you mentioned are available at a liquor store that's local to me called Total Wine and Spirits. (totalwine.com) A little digging and the golden cask sounds like it was a limited release that may not be available any more. Perhaps I may get lucky and find some in my travels.
The original Single Barrel 15 has been out of production for a few years so the only way you'll ever find it is if you luck out and find one that just never sold. Other than name, it's a totally different product from the newer sherry cask version of the same name, but at least the label would verify which one you were looking at. It was one of the absolute favorites and still would be if they still made it.
The Golden Cask 14 wasn't all that special, but at about $70 I'm still glad I got to own a bottle.

Quote:
...any recommendations given, steer me away from the super peaty variety.
As a general rule you're going to want to avoid Islay brands, though not all are heavily peated. I'm sure you'll be finding many within your preference range if you go after anything non-Islay, which would include Highland, Lowland, Speyside and Campbelltown, to mention the main major groupings.
Old 07-16-2017, 12:14 AM
ClubWhisky.com Member

Have you tried any of the whiskies matured in wine/sherry casks? There are many: some of the Macallans, the Balvenie, Glendronach, Aberlour, to name a few.

If I'm in England, I would look for some of the single cask releases from a distillery, such as those I mentioned, that doesn't use peated malt for most of their expressions. There are a good many others that I didn't name. Some of those single cask whiskies are more difficult to get here in the US, if not impossible. Also, a few of the whisky shops there buy their own casks from certain distilleries and bottle them.

By the way, if you're interested in learning more about single malt Scotch whisky, by all means keep posting here, but maybe give this site I linked below a look, too. It started out as the writings of one person, but I think it has several contributors now. You may or may not agree with them regarding their reviews, but there's some good general info to be had:

https://www.maltmadness.com/
Old 08-03-2017, 04:41 AM

Sherry aged seem to be my favorite after my little trip to Ireland. Last night I spent some time looking up some retail stores that were near my hotel in London, and I found both the whiskey exchange and the whiskey shop were nearby. After digging through their inventories, I found several that fit the bill for varieties that cannot be found in the US. I then compared prices between the two stores, both online and in-store, and weighed the options of if to buy it all there, buy it all online, or split it. After considering the hassle and risk of hauling it all back, I decided perhaps I should just buy it online, and reserve my hauling back to a special few that I can say I actually bought IN london.

This is my intended online order-
Glenfarclas 105
Longmorn Distillers Choice
Balvenie 15 year single barrel sherry cask
Benriach cask strength

Then while in London-
Macphunn 16
Bruichladdich Scottish Barley the classic laddie

only planning on the two while in london will give me room to pick up a couple more if i find something i like while bouncing around the pubs.

Thoughts?
Old 08-03-2017, 08:03 AM
ClubWhisky.com Moderator

Quote:
This is my intended online order-
Glenfarclas 105
Longmorn Distillers Choice
Balvenie 15 year single barrel sherry cask

Benriach cask strength
Yes! Yeeeesssss! I will be picking you up at the airport!!!

Quote:
Then while in London-
Macphunn 16
Bruichladdich Scottish Barley the classic laddie
This is available stateside.
Old 08-04-2017, 04:49 AM

Ah ha, that's why I put a mark next to it on my list, the superstore in the twin cities carries it and I wanted to pick it up next time I'm up there. So it looks like the macphunnis the sole survivor of ones I need to track down while there. I might also cancel out the balvenie since some of that is available in the states.
Old 08-04-2017, 08:50 AM
ClubWhisky.com Moderator

Quote:
I might also cancel out the balvenie since some of that is available in the states.
I've been trying to get a replacement bottle for months and zero luck so far.
Old 08-05-2017, 03:15 PM

http://www.totalwine.com/ is the superstore close to me that carries balvenie. they're literally like a wal-mart of liquor beer and wine. if you're looking for cheaper shipping than one of the sites out of the UK, you could look into them.

the bruichladdich though, looks like its only available at some specialty places in the states. doesn't seem like its widely available. still a maybe on my list.
Old 08-05-2017, 10:56 PM
ClubWhisky.com Moderator

Quote:
http://www.totalwine.com/ is the superstore close to me that carries balvenie. they're literally like a wal-mart of liquor beer and wine. if you're looking for cheaper shipping than one of the sites out of the UK, you could look into them.

the bruichladdich though, looks like its only available at some specialty places in the states. doesn't seem like its widely available. still a maybe on my list.
Maybe I needed to ask if they could order it because the last time I went to Total Wine they didn't have any of the Balvenie 15. Looks like I've got one more stop to make in town next week...

I thought the Bruichladdich was available only because I bought one a few years ago, but then a lot of things I can no longer find were available a few years ago.
Old 08-06-2017, 03:29 AM

Ugh! I wish I could post pictures from my phone. Found the balvenie 15 sherry cask at the up-class bar in town. 24 bucks a glass. Before I could even say no, my friend bought it for me because I asked the bartender to see the bottle and why. Pretty 👍🏻
Old 08-15-2017, 04:48 PM

When I go to buy from thewhiskeyexchange.com, is it better to check out in USD or GBP? I'm just wondering if there's going to be an exchange rate charged to my account if I order in GBP making it cheaper to order in USD.

oh hey islay peat- I was at total wine in woodbury MN this last weekend, they have the balvenie 15 sherry cask on the shelf
Old 08-15-2017, 08:42 PM
ClubWhisky.com Moderator

Quote:
oh hey islay peat- I was at total wine in woodbury MN this last weekend, they have the balvenie 15 sherry cask on the shelf
Buy it! Send me one! Enjoy!
Old 08-16-2017, 06:14 AM

I wouldn't be opposed to buying a couple bottles and shipping it to you if you're that desperate to get it. Might not be much cheaper than ordering from the whiskey exchange though
Old 08-16-2017, 09:17 AM
ClubWhisky.com Moderator

Quote:
I wouldn't be opposed to buying a couple bottles and shipping it to you if you're that desperate to get it. Might not be much cheaper than ordering from the whiskey exchange though
Just joking, but also trying to convey how much I love this stuff. I'm sure that when I go to town again I'll be able to find a bottle to follow me home.
Old 08-18-2017, 05:33 PM

Go to Milroy's Bar in Soho. They have one of the best selections of Scotches that I have ever seen anywhere.
Old 08-20-2017, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfspencer View Post
Go to Milroy's Bar in Soho. They have one of the best selections of Scotches that I have ever seen anywhere.
I feel slightly creeped out that you named a place so close to my hotel. i'll be sure to check that out!
Old 08-22-2017, 09:57 PM

Quote:
I feel slightly creeped out that you named a place so close to my hotel. i'll be sure to check that out!
We stayed at the Ham Yard when we were in London. Milroy's was nearby. My son took me there and I liked it so much that I took him there.

We had been in Islay visiting distilleries and stopped in London on the way home.

Tags
london, london - whisky