ClubWhisky.com Forum - Questions About Whisky  

Go Back   ClubWhisky.com Forum - Questions About Whisky > All About Whisky! > Single Malt Scotch Whisky

Old 12-26-2010, 04:34 AM

Default Balvenie 21yr Portwood Finish - Review

We cracked open the bottle of the Balvenie 21yr Portwood tonight for Christmas, and enjoyed a delicious dram of the sweet nectar held within.

Here are my tasting notes:

Nose: Sweet nectar, honey, and warm goodness. Absolute delight. Soft candy, toffee, and a slight port (that's not surprising, huh?) aroma. I could nose this whisky all night long, except that its taste is even better! Coming back after a taste, I pick up gardenia, and other aromatic floral notes.

Body: Soft body, almost delicate. Light and buttery.

Palate: OH MY GOODNESS! This whisky is buttery smooth and sweet as honey! The floral notes are subtle, but the port comes out strong. Being a port lover, this is a VERY good thing. A slight alcohol burn lights up the sides of the mouth, reminding me it is not a butterscotch liqueur, but straight whisky I am sipping. The finish is remarkable, delivering a soft, sweet aroma. I could literally drink this whisky all night long. There are spicy notes that develop as well, perhaps cinnamon?

The sensation on my tongue is wonderful, building in strength, numbing the sides of my mouth. I can't help but hold this warm, delicate dram in my mouth. The glass is almost empty, and I am growing sad, realizing this is the end of my tasting for the day.
Old 12-27-2010, 06:12 AM

See youre in houston, glad toknow someone is here locally. Enjoyed your review of the Portwood, going to buy a bottle in the near future.
Old 12-27-2010, 04:04 PM
ClubWhisky.com Admin

Thumbs up The Balvenie 21 year Portwood tasting notes...

Excellent tasting notes - thanks jwise!
Old 12-29-2010, 05:56 AM
Goldie

Definitely an interest piquing review. I am just now researching single malts, and this particular bottle has stuck out to me as something I must try in the future.

I need to find a good liquor store in my area with a good selection so I can get started properly.
Old 12-29-2010, 06:53 PM

If you want to try the Balvenie 21yr, the easiest way is to find a Balvenie sample pack:

This is how I first tasted the 21yr, and is the ONLY reason I was willing to pay the entry price for a bottle. If I didn't already know how it tasted (and that I LOVED it!), I would never have paid the bottle price.

The Sample Pack was $15.99, well worth it for a taste of three of the best whiskies in their respective price points: 12yr Doublewood, 15yr Single Barrel, and 21yr Portwood.
Old 12-29-2010, 11:28 PM

I've got a bottle tucked away, not necessarily for a special occasion, but just until it's turn has been chosen. As I just opened last night a bottle of Bunnahabhain Signatory un-chill filtered heavily peated, that's about 14 drinks worth at a dram a night. I am looking forward to sampling the portwood though. Happy Holidays to all.
Old 12-30-2010, 03:49 AM
Administrator & Owner ClubWhisky.com

Yes, one of my favs! Not sure why jwise was in banned status but I am sure it was a mistake. I lifted it.

Last edited by michael; 12-30-2010 at 03:51 AM.
Old 12-31-2010, 05:52 PM

Thanks, Michael. I guess I was posting too much?
Old 12-31-2010, 06:07 PM

While pouring a drink for my in-laws (brother & father), I asked my sister-in-law if she would like a taste. This is the same sister-in-law who "really wanted to get into drinking Scotch", after reading a series of books in which the heroine drank Scotch whisky. The first few tastes I gave her at the time (couple years ago) were not very appealing to her, and she gave up on whisky.

Well, after seeing the hoopla over the Portwood, she gave it a taste. She LOVED it! She was so surprised to have enjoyed it so much. She was quickly asking what else I had with me (as we are staying at her house through New Years) that was similar. I had to tell her that nothing was similar to Portwood, but I had others she might enjoy in a different way.

By the end of the night, I had around ten bottles of whisk[e]y lined up on the counter, and she had tasted every one (and ranked them!)

So, as best as I can remember, here is the rankings of a novice whisky drinker:

The ones she LIKED:
1) Balvenie 21yr Portwood
2) Balvenie 15yr Single Barrel
3) Balvenie 14yr Caribbean Cask
4) Glenrothes Select Reserve

The ones she would drink again:
5) Chivas 12yr
6) Tomatin 12yr
7) Famous Grouse

The ones she NEVER wants to drink again:
8) Cragganmore 12yr
9) Cutty Sark (hahaaha!)
10) Buffalo Trace (bourbon)
11) Knob Creek 9yr (bourbon)

After that night, she's tried Highland Park 12yr, Bunnahabhain 12yr, and The Dalmore Gran Reserve, and she liked each of them!

Well, for this OUTSTANDING achievement, I gifted her with the 3-bottle sample pack from The Balvenie. She deserves it!
Old 01-03-2011, 11:01 PM

I ahve also been on the Balvenie 21YO recently. All I would add to the tasting notes here is that I find the Port a little stronger - certainly a good thing.

It picks up the cask but does not mask the natural honey character of The Balvenie.

Jonny.

www.newwhiskyworld.blogspot.com
Old 01-05-2013, 09:25 PM
ClubWhisky.com Moderator

This has been on my radar for months now and I'm going to have to track down one of the sample packages of it.
Old 01-11-2013, 03:16 AM

tried the port wood 21 last year and loved it, i tried the Glenfarclas 21 after it and thought even though it was done in Spanish Oloros sherry barrel's it turned out a little more savory than i would have thought but i bet you would love it if you liked the Balvenie
Old 01-20-2013, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwise View Post

So, as best as I can remember, here is the rankings of a novice whisky drinker:

The ones she LIKED:
1) Balvenie 21yr Portwood
2) Balvenie 15yr Single Barrel
3) Balvenie 14yr Caribbean Cask
4) Glenrothes Select Reserve

The ones she would drink again:
5) Chivas 12yr
6) Tomatin 12yr
7) Famous Grouse

The ones she NEVER wants to drink again:
8) Cragganmore 12yr
9) Cutty Sark (hahaaha!)
10) Buffalo Trace (bourbon)
11) Knob Creek 9yr (bourbon)

After that night, she's tried Highland Park 12yr, Bunnahabhain 12yr, and The Dalmore Gran Reserve, and she liked each of them!

Well, for this OUTSTANDING achievement, I gifted her with the 3-bottle sample pack from The Balvenie. She deserves it!
I would be very curious as to her reaction had you poured her a dram of Ardbeg 10 or similar.

Interesting that she didn't like the Cragganmore. That was one of my first bottles of single malt and I find it very palatable, along with the Balvenies listed (I have the Caribbean Cask and Single Barrel also). I see you lined up the ones you figured she'd like though. It's always fun to throw a curveball in there (like a massive Islay)

Currently I'm nursing a Glenmorangie Nectar D'Or and seems it might be up her alley!
Old 01-20-2013, 05:10 PM
ClubWhisky.com Admin

LostBoyScout - I second the Glenmorangie Nectar D'Or - it's one of my favorites! Also with you on the Cragganmore - liked it the first time I had it - very palatable. As for that Balvenie 21 yr Portwood - it's incredible
Old 02-15-2013, 06:14 AM

My local shop still has those 3-packs for $15.99. Such a great deal.

I have had the Glenfarclas 21 and 25. They are good. The 15yr is better; it is amazing.

The Balvenie 21yr is so stink'n expensive, now. Last I saw, it was selling for $220 or more. That is crazy. I spent just barely over that for a bottle of Glenrothes 1972, which is a 32 year old whisky that is unbelievably good.

I need to do a review of it.
Old 02-23-2013, 08:59 AM
ClubWhisky.com Moderator

Quote:
My local shop still has those 3-packs for $15.99. Such a great deal.
Wish I could find sample sizes of any Balvenie product, but in Alaska we're a bit short on selection at times.
Thinking of calling the local distributor or asking one of the shops if they can get a bit wider range of samplers in stock.
Old 05-11-2013, 03:11 AM

I know this thread has been inactive for a while BUT....
I just found a couple of bottles of the Balvenie 21 at a store close to home that always had very high prices.
I was there for some beer but thought I would look at the scotch for the heck of it.
The Balvenie 21 Portwood was $108.00 per bottle.
I think the cheapest I had found this was about $179.00 at a discount store that is known for great prices.
I feel like I scored.
Old 05-11-2013, 03:49 AM

I would have bought BOTH bottles! Holy cow, I think they misprinted the tag ($108 instead of $180).

Amazing whisky....
Old 05-11-2013, 10:18 AM
ClubWhisky.com Moderator

Absolutely great price for the Portwood - wish I were close enough to stop by and have a try. Like JWise said, you should probably buy all of them.
Old 05-11-2013, 08:02 PM

jwise & islay,
Took your advise and went back for the other bottle.
I even came clean and told him about the pricing to see what would happen.
He just looked in the computer and said "nope that is the correct price".
I hope they have more in the back room. maybe I can stop buy every payday and pick another up.
That's how I picked up several bottles of the TUN 1401 batch #3.
Old 05-11-2013, 08:41 PM
ClubWhisky.com Member

Definitely on the wish list! Around here it's $189.00 so it'll be a while before I step up to that.
Old 05-11-2013, 10:30 PM
ClubWhisky.com Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by oscarswanson View Post
jwise & islay,
I hope they have more in the back room. maybe I can stop buy every payday and pick another up.
Just have a toast to us later.

Can't remember the price right off the bat, but it seems that it's over $200 here.
Old 05-15-2013, 12:45 PM

I heard good things about this dram from my friend also. Once I finish the fine bottle of Roasted Malt I have, I'll order up the Portwood. Sounds dreamy !
Old 06-05-2013, 01:38 AM

Hi, new to this forum, want to thank you all for your reviews of the 21 portwood. Just wish I had found thebforum before wasting $ on Macallan 15, significajtly overpriced and simple "no complexity". I'd rate myself as a budding (7 yrs) scotch drinker. So far my prefers are in descending order:
1. Balvenie 14 carribean
2. Highland park 14
3. The Glenmorangie's

I don't like the.Macallan or any of the.Johnny Walkers.

Any suggestions between the Bal 14 Carribean and Bal 21 ? Looking for something.more complex, smooth, a little more peaty.

Again thx for your reviews, very helpful.
Old 06-05-2013, 03:21 AM

I just finished off my bottle of Balvenie 14yr Caribbean Cask last night.

I've never had Highland Park 14 yr. The 12yr is good, but the 18yr is where it is at! HP18 is some of the best stuff out there.

Try the Balvenie 17yr Doublewood. It is head and shoulders better than the 12yr Doublewood, which is itself very good.

For something smooth, a little spicy, a little sweet, and all-together wonderful, try the Glenfarclas 15/17/21/25 year. They are similar, with the 15yr being the best, followed by the 25, 21, and finally the 17yr. However, they are all excellent.
Old 06-30-2013, 02:20 AM
ClubWhisky.com Member

Got my first taste of Balvenie 21 Portwood tonight. I've been nursing it along for almost 2 hours now, and I with I could make it last another 2 hours. So much flavor, with a delightfully long, soft finish! The best I've had in my very young and limited journey.
Old 06-30-2013, 12:27 PM
Whisky.com Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by john_b View Post
Got my first taste of Balvenie 21 Portwood tonight. I've been nursing it along for almost 2 hours now, and I with I could make it last another 2 hours. So much flavor, with a delightfully long, soft finish! The best I've had in my very young and limited journey.
Congrats John B!! For a novice you definitely did it correctly. I was pleased to read that you didn't throw it back ( cowboy the dram ). It is so much more rewarding to play with a whisky and develop the nose and palate by finding out what each whisky has to offer and how it changes constantly with oxidation.

For another nosing technique, try nosing ONLY with one nostril, then alternate between nostrils. You will find that you will probably have one dominant nostril and the aromas will be enhanced and in many cases more intense than using both nostrils. Test this by nosing with one nostril and then wait a few seconds, then nose with one nostril and then alternate between one nostril and then both nostrils.

The dominant nostril today MAY NOT be the dominant nostril tomorrow.
Old 06-30-2013, 02:01 PM
ClubWhisky.com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkblankenship View Post
I was pleased to read that you didn't throw it back ( cowboy the dram ).
At Portwood 21's price point I've got to make it last as long as I can!

Seriously though, I'm a novice at Scotch, but I've been tasting beers and coffees for a number of years. I keep notes on what I taste so that if/when I taste the same beverage at some point in the future I can see if my opinion or taste changes, and I'll update my notes if it does change.

Also, I keep notes because my memory is turning to crap.

When my wife sees me head upstairs with a cup or glass of anything other than iced tea, she knows I'm useless to her for at least an hour.

Thanks for the tip about nosing with alternate nostrils. I'll try that next time.
Old 07-19-2013, 02:45 AM

Huge fan of Balvenie. I have the 12yr doublewood and the 15yr single barrel and love both. I'm really looking forward to trying the 17yr doublewood and this review has definitely gotten me interested in trying the 21yr.

I never tried a Single Malt aged in a Port wine cask, so now I'm especially interested in trying this one out.
Old 07-19-2013, 02:58 AM
ClubWhisky.com Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mphill489 View Post
Huge fan of Balvenie. I have the 12yr doublewood and the 15yr single barrel and love both. I'm really looking forward to trying the 17yr doublewood and this review has definitely gotten me interested in trying the 21yr.

I never tried a Single Malt aged in a Port wine cask, so now I'm especially interested in trying this one out.
I've been sipping the DoubleWood 12 for the past few days and wondering about all the ones mentioned in your post, not to mention the PortWood.

All things in time, eh?
Old 07-26-2013, 03:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islay Peat View Post
I've been sipping the DoubleWood 12 for the past few days and wondering about all the ones mentioned in your post, not to mention the PortWood.

All things in time, eh?
Yep, exactly My "to drink" list grows pretty quickly.
Old 12-25-2013, 04:19 AM

You guys are killing me, So many new names and flavors where does one begin???
Just ordered a Macallan 18 and Bunnahabhain 25yr old for next month. Birthday coming in the middle of the month so what the heck right
Old 12-30-2013, 05:41 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to whiskeydfw
Cool

Fantastic review, thanks for posting. This is one that I've been looking for - Balvenie is one of my favs.
Old 02-05-2014, 09:11 AM

Quote:
If you want to try the Balvenie 21yr, the easiest way is to find a Balvenie sample pack:

This is how I first tasted the 21yr, and is the ONLY reason I was willing to pay the entry price for a bottle. If I didn't already know how it tasted (and that I LOVED it!), I would never have paid the bottle price.

The Sample Pack was $15.99, well worth it for a taste of three of the best whiskies in their respective price points: 12yr Doublewood, 15yr Single Barrel, and 21yr Portwood.
Where did you get this sample pack if you don't mind me asking? You can pm me if you'd like.

-Thanks
Old 02-17-2014, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by masterj View Post
Where did you get this sample pack if you don't mind me asking? You can pm me if you'd like.

-Thanks
I checked in at Total Wine & More maybe once every two weeks, and they always carry some type of sampling kits - so far I bought qty.(2) Balvenie 12/15/21, qty.(1) Glenmorangie, qty.(1) Glenrothes, and qty.(1) classic single malts - Talisker 10, Lagavulin 16, Craigmorgen? something. Its a good way to find out whether you like the whisky without laying out too much money on a full bottle..... Mail order from Master of Malt offer the most selections, but the shipping cost is pretty high.....
Old 03-23-2014, 04:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oscarswanson View Post
jwise & islay,
The store found that the $108.00 price was wrong and made the adjustment. The new price? $234.00
I returned several times as it is only a few blocks from my home. No luck.
I gave up and did not return for several months.
The trip back today rewarded me with another bottle of the Balvenie 21 at $108.00 once again. They only had one bottle but I hope they replace it so I can buy more.
Old 11-25-2015, 10:06 AM
ClubWhisky.com Moderator

Quote:
I've never had Highland Park 14 yr. The 12yr is good, but the 18yr is where it is at! HP18 is some of the best stuff out there.

Try the Balvenie 17yr Doublewood. It is head and shoulders better than the 12yr Doublewood, which is itself very good.
Yes! Highland Park 18 and Balvenie 17 Doublewood are two of my favorites.

Sure miss JWise reviews...

Tags
balvenie, balvenie - portwood, macallan, port wood, review