ClubWhisky.com Forum - Questions About Whisky  

Go Back   ClubWhisky.com Forum - Questions About Whisky > All About Whisky! > Single Malt Scotch Whisky

Old 07-25-2015, 02:57 AM
ClubWhisky.com Moderator

Especially love the Hakushu 10.
Old 08-01-2015, 07:37 AM

Default What Did You Buy Recently?

Recently i bought Dewar's White Label Blended Scotch Whisky, it is very mild,sweet and very accessible flavor and the ending of its taste was of herbs and honey. I like to have this whisky.
Old 08-17-2015, 09:38 AM

Oban Distillery on Edition and an Oban Little Bay
Old 08-17-2015, 07:57 PM
ClubWhisky.com Member

Bought a bottle of Talisker 10.
Old 08-19-2015, 06:14 AM

I recently brought Bushmills Malt 10 Years,itís an amazing whisky.
Old 08-19-2015, 07:42 PM
ClubWhisky.com Moderator

Bought it last year, but just found it hidden away, a bottle of Yoichi 10, still unopened, but not for long.
Old 08-19-2015, 08:47 PM
ClubWhisky.com Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islay Peat View Post
Bought it last year, but just found it hidden away, a bottle of Yoichi 10, still unopened, but not for long.
Nice! Enjoy it... Cheers!
Old 08-20-2015, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by john_b View Post
Bought a bottle of Talisker 10.
I've got one of those unopened in the storage room. Let us know what ya think...
Old 08-20-2015, 06:48 PM
ClubWhisky.com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxcarBill View Post
I've got one of those unopened in the storage room. Let us know what ya think...
Short version: it's an enjoyable whisky.

More detailed: the peat/smokey notes are not overpowering, and lean more toward an Orkney/heathery flavor than an Islay peating. There's mild oak, faint vanilla, citrus, and dark fruit notes on my palate, and it's a bit salty. I also got some grassy/fresh cut hay notes. Finish stays with you a while. Slightly warming.

(edit) The Drink Distiller website rates it at 96, which I think is an exaggerated rating. I'm not trying to bash Drink Distiller; fact is, I'm registered on their site and I think they do a good job overall. I keep a journal, and rate beers and whiskies I taste with a more simple A, B, C, etc. I will slip in a + or - sometimes, such that I may have a B+ or A-, for example. The ratings are for me only, to help me remember if I think about buying a beer or whisky that I haven't had in a long time. And I can be very content with a beer or whisky that I rate a B+ or B. To me, a beer/whisky that creeps into the A range (90 or better) is an outstanding drink, and if it reaches an A+ (95 or higher), it darn well better be extraordinary! For what it's worth, I only have a couple of A+ beers out of well over 100, and no A+ whiskies (yet) in my notes. I don't see Talisker 10 as extraordinary, but it is a good, very enjoyable dram that I would gladly buy again. In my notes, I've got Talisker 10 at a B, maybe a B+.

Probably far more info than anyone wanted...

Last edited by john_b; 08-20-2015 at 07:32 PM.
Old 08-20-2015, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Probably far more info than anyone wanted...
Not really. I'm a beer geek myself. Curious to know your fav beers.

I just finished off a Dalmore 12 (thank god) which I'll never buy again, and the same goes for a Bowmore 12 which is almost gone. The Bowmore is very drinkable and not bad tasting but I just can't stop thinking Koolaid when I'm sipping it. If it was under $30/btl I'd drink it on occasion.

I'm nursing a Springbank 10 which is a winner but this can be plenty spendy if you don't live in Minneapolis.
Caol Ila 12 is another one I have to be careful with because the liquid level goes down even when I think I'm not drinking it.

Have the Talisker 10, Glenfarclas 12 , and a Bunnahabhain 12 in the unopened queue but I have 15 bottles of Balvenie DW 12 I must attend to in the mix.

Last edited by BoxcarBill; 08-20-2015 at 08:47 PM.
Old 08-20-2015, 11:42 PM
ClubWhisky.com Member

Quote:
I'm a beer geek myself. Curious to know your fav beers.
Two of my favorite beers are Trappistes Rochefort 10, and Schneider Aventinus (now labeled Tap 6 Unser Aventinus) Not an A+ in my notes but still a favorite when I want a good hoppy kick is DFH 90, and Bell's Hopslam. Also really like a local brewery's kolsch style, Mother Earth's Endless River.

The Dalmore 12 was in the realm of "meh" for me. I had a sample bottle of it. I can drink it, but I'm not likely to buy any more.

Haven't tasted anything from Bowmore yet. Springbank is on my list to try, as is a Bunnahabhain 18.
Old 08-21-2015, 12:36 AM
ClubWhisky.com Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jojo View Post
Nice! Enjoy it... Cheers!
I will, as soon as I decide who is going to help me drink it! Don't dare waste the Yoichi 10 on just myself!

On the subject of Bowmore and Bunnahabhain, it was the Bunnahabhain 12 that made me want to try the 18, and the 18 is one of my absolute favorites. I've also enjoyed the Bowmore 12 enough to have bought it twice now, but the Tempest that I tried a couple years back was an incredible dram and I'd really like to get a bottle of it someday.

I'm another who did not care at all for the Dalmore, but apparently I'm somewhat of a loner when it comes to not liking the Talisker 10. Talisker 18 is a wholly different thing and I'm really enjoying it.
Old 08-21-2015, 12:59 AM
ClubWhisky.com Member

Quote:
I'm another who did not care at all for the Dalmore, but apparently I'm somewhat of a loner when it comes to not liking the Talisker 10. Talisker 18 is a wholly different thing and I'm really enjoying it.
What is it about the Talisker 18 that makes the difference for you? It's on my wish list; hopefully I'll get to it one of these days.

For me, some younger whiskies can be a little rough around the edges, whereas a few more years adds depth and richness. For example, as much as I like Laphroaig's Quarter Cask and their 10 year old, I like Laphroaig 18 better.
Old 08-21-2015, 02:08 AM
ClubWhisky.com Moderator

Quote:
What is it about the Talisker 18 that makes the difference for you? It's on my wish list; hopefully I'll get to it one of these days.

For me, some younger whiskies can be a little rough around the edges, whereas a few more years adds depth and richness. For example, as much as I like Laphroaig's Quarter Cask and their 10 year old, I like Laphroaig 18 better.
I'm not very good like so many of you are, at describing, or even keeping track of what I like or not, but all I can say is that every time I tried the 10, it was not an enjoyable experience, whereas the 18 is very much in line with my tastes.

Ironically, I love the Laphroaig 10 and Quarter Cask, but not the 18 or Triple Wood. Strange stuff, whisky, and one of the things I'm really enjoying about it is the fact that what one of us likes is terrible for another, and vice versa. Keeps things interesting!
Old 08-21-2015, 04:45 AM

Quote:
Two of my favorite beers are Trappistes Rochefort 10, and Schneider Aventinus
I remember you saying you liked the Rochefort 10. Pretty sure I tried it once and although very tasty and complex it was quite sweet and dark if I remember correctly.
I liked the DFH 90 minute around 10/12 years ago. I think it's been going down hill since then. I had a 12 ozer a few months ago and couldn't finish it but I think is got spoiled somehow because it wasn't past the expiration date.

Most quality beers are on my do list except amber and brown ales, some Belgian dubbels too.

The only malt whisky I couldn't finish was a Glenlivet Nadurra 16 Year Old Cask Strength. I gave it away.
Old 08-21-2015, 06:37 AM

Blanton's Original Mini
Bourbon Penny Packer
Bushmills Malt 10 Years
Cardhu 15 Years
Old 08-21-2015, 12:14 PM
ClubWhisky.com Member

Quote:
I remember you saying you liked the Rochefort 10. Pretty sure I tried it once and although very tasty and complex it was quite sweet and dark if I remember correctly.
Yes, the 10 is fairly sweet. Sometimes I'll sip a Rochefort 8 instead, because it isn't as sweet, but still dark and rich.

Quote:
I'm not very good like so many of you are, at describing, or even keeping track of what I like or not, but all I can say is that every time I tried the 10, it was not an enjoyable experience, whereas the 18 is very much in line with my tastes.

Ironically, I love the Laphroaig 10 and Quarter Cask, but not the 18 or Triple Wood. Strange stuff, whisky, and one of the things I'm really enjoying about it is the fact that what one of us likes is terrible for another, and vice versa. Keeps things interesting!
Those differences can be, and often are, the foundation of a good conversation. What a horribly boring world this would be, if everyone was just like me .
Old 08-24-2015, 09:41 AM
ClubWhisky.com Moderator

Quote:
Those differences can be, and often are, the foundation of a good conversation. What a horribly boring world this would be, if everyone was just like me .
I like the way you think.
Old 09-10-2015, 07:18 AM

just picked up a GlenSpey 21, Glenfiddich 14yr old Bourbon Barrel Reserve, and a Tomatin 14 to add to the collection
Old 09-14-2015, 04:31 AM

Saw this in a liquor store in Montana for $52.49 and decided to go for it. The glasses are real Glencairns.
It's the 2014 release with vatted 5 and 6 year old malts. Rather young but I'll try anything once... like Laphroaig Quarter Cask which was too alcohol hot for me.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0488.jpg
Views:	334
Size:	96.8 KB
ID:	2315  

Last edited by BoxcarBill; 09-14-2015 at 04:53 AM.
Old 09-14-2015, 07:03 AM
ClubWhisky.com Moderator

Quote:
Saw this in a liquor store in Montana for $52.49 and decided to go for it. The glasses are real Glencairns.
It's the 2014 release with vatted 5 and 6 year old malts. Rather young but I'll try anything once... like Laphroaig Quarter Cask which was too alcohol hot for me.
For that price I kind of want one too. Can never have too many Glencairns and while I don't recall particularly enjoying the Kilchoman I had a couple years ago, I'd try a whole bottle in that package deal.
Old 09-14-2015, 06:43 PM

Quote:
I'd try a whole bottle in that package deal.
You gonna be in the hood Pete? I have a few, although nothing too fancy, opened and unopened bottles here.
Kilchoman Machir Bay
Talisker 10
Springbank 10
Glenfarclas 12
Bunnahabhain 12
Caol Ila 12
Ardbog
Corryvreckan
and the always present Ardbeg 10 & Balvenie DW 12.

I even have some A'bunadh which I use to mix with the Ardie 10.
Old 09-16-2015, 06:28 AM
ClubWhisky.com Moderator

Quote:
You gonna be in the hood Pete? I have a few, although nothing too fancy, opened and unopened bottles here.
Kilchoman Machir Bay
Talisker 10
Springbank 10
Glenfarclas 12
Bunnahabhain 12
Caol Ila 12
Ardbog
Corryvreckan
and the always present Ardbeg 10 & Balvenie DW 12.

I even have some A'bunadh which I use to mix with the Ardie 10.
Some new additions eh? That Bunnahabhain 12 is great but if you get the chance, the 18 is!!! Same goes for the Talisker 18!
I'll let you know when I'm in the area and hopefully I'll be able to bring something that you have had the opportunity to try yet.
Old 09-21-2015, 12:16 PM

Recenty i brought Aberlour 10 years Highland Single Malt Scotch Whisky is typical modern Speyside malt, with its full bodied palate comprising of rich fruitcake, malt and notes of toffee. It had really amazing taste.
Old 09-21-2015, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesharry1 View Post
Recenty i brought Aberlour 10 years Highland Single Malt Scotch Whisky is typical modern Speyside malt, with its full bodied palate comprising of rich fruitcake, malt and notes of toffee. It had really amazing taste.
Interesting.

Almost word for word from the master of malt tasting notes.
Old 09-25-2015, 07:10 AM
ClubWhisky.com Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by FightingIrish View Post
Interesting.

Almost word for word from the master of malt tasting notes.
Par for the course with him it appears.
Old 10-01-2015, 09:43 AM

Was in the supermarket in Spokane and saw Aberlour 12 for $24.99. Even after their coo coo tax in that dizzy state it came to $33 so I grabbed one. I thought about 2 but that thought didn't last long.
Old 10-01-2015, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Was in the supermarket in Spokane and saw Aberlour 12 for $24.99. Even after their coo coo tax in that dizzy state it came to $33 so I grabbed one. I thought about 2 but that thought didn't last long.
Aberlour 12 is an excellent whisky and at that price i would have bought more than one for sure... Have you tried it yet? What do you think?
Old 10-02-2015, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drakoskl View Post
Aberlour 12 is an excellent whisky and at that price i would have bought more than one for sure... Have you tried it yet? What do you think?
I've had it before and think it's OK. Not quite as good as Balvenie DW 12 though. Has a nice sweet fruitiness with hints of licorice for me.
I parked my car at Costco Spokane Valley then took the bus to a tavern in the Browne's addition. I was on foot when I discovered it at the Rosauers there. That affected my decision to get more. I'm already thinking I should have gotten 2.
Old 10-02-2015, 01:13 PM

I like the aberlour 12 more than the balvenie dw..last night i had the balvenie 12 triple cask which i also found quite flat..i prefer the aberlour than both..so far the only balvenie that i liked is the 15 single barrel (not the sherry cask didnt try that)
Old 10-03-2015, 04:22 AM

Quote:
I like the aberlour 12 more than the balvenie dw..last night i had the balvenie 12 triple cask which i also found quite flat..i prefer the aberlour than both..
What do you think of the Macallan 12 sherry cask?
Old 10-03-2015, 06:11 AM
ClubWhisky.com Moderator

Quote:
I like the aberlour 12 more than the balvenie dw..last night i had the balvenie 12 triple cask which i also found quite flat..i prefer the aberlour than both..so far the only balvenie that i liked is the 15 single barrel (not the sherry cask didnt try that)
I had a bottle of the Aberlour 12 last year and while it was okay I was also glad to see it gone. Like Bill, the Balvenie DW 12 is one that I always have to keep on hand.
Not being an across the board Balvenie fan, I haven't enjoyed the Portwood 21 nearly as much as I'd hoped I would and again, while I think the Golden Cask 14 is okay, I'll be glad to see it gone as well.
When all is said and done I'll be happy to see my Balvenie lineup consist of the (in this order) Single Barrel 15, DoubleWood 17, DoubleWood 12.
Quote:
I like it and need to go buy one but I have had it more times than I can count over the past year.
Old 10-03-2015, 12:25 PM

Quote:
I love the mac 12 sherry but cannot find it here anymore..
Old 10-03-2015, 01:30 PM
ClubWhisky.com Member

Quote:
My first single malt...it clearly showed me that I prefer single malts over bourbons.
Old 10-04-2015, 04:12 AM

The Mac 12 sherry is an easy drinker alrighty but I personally find it a bit boring. Don't think much of the Highland Park 12 either.
Old 10-04-2015, 06:32 AM
ClubWhisky.com Moderator

Quote:
The Mac 12 sherry is an easy drinker alrighty but I personally find it a bit boring. Don't think much of the Highland Park 12 either.
Funny, I've been trying to finish off my bottle of Highland Park 12 (will always try to keep the 18 on hand though) but even as an Islay fan I really enjoy the Macallan 12.
Old 10-10-2015, 03:04 PM
ClubWhisky.com Member

Quote:
Funny, I've been trying to finish off my bottle of Highland Park 12 (will always try to keep the 18 on hand though)
In my relatively limited experience, HP 18 is one of my favorites.

Has anyone here tasted BenRiach 20 or Glenmorangie 18? If so, what did you think?
Old 10-10-2015, 04:32 PM

HP18 i like very much.. Gelnmorangie 18 i tried once but did not like it..
Old 10-11-2015, 08:51 AM
ClubWhisky.com Moderator

Highland Park 18 for sure!

I've tried several Glenmorangie bottlings and have not been able to find even one that I liked.
Old 10-11-2015, 12:22 PM
ClubWhisky.com Member

I appreciate the feedback! Trying to decide on my next purchase...
Old 10-14-2015, 04:05 AM

HP 12, picked up today (caught the store owner getting his new stock in and got it right out of the box)...have had only a couple of drams in bars before (not the ideal conditions for assessing a malt), so it's all good .
Old 10-27-2015, 04:38 PM

Bought 2 lagavulin 25 today.. Has anyone tried it?
Old 10-28-2015, 07:51 AM
ClubWhisky.com Moderator

Quote:
Bought 2 lagavulin 25 today.. Has anyone tried it?
Not yet.

I'll be right over.
Old 10-28-2015, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Not yet.

I'll be right over.
Hehe...when i open it ill send you a dram
Old 10-28-2015, 09:16 AM

I ve been to a bar last night and they had an amazing selection of whiskies.. I tried the yamazaki 12 and then i had the balvenie 21!! The yamazaki was very nice but the balvenie was superior IMO.. thicker , more oily more depth.. What do you guys think?
Old 10-28-2015, 11:12 AM

Recently i bought Bourbon Penny Packer and Bowmore 12 Years, am eagerly waiting for this weekend to enjoy Bourbon Penny Packer
Old 10-28-2015, 12:15 PM
ClubWhisky.com Member

Quote:
I ve been to a bar last night and they had an amazing selection of whiskies.. I tried the yamazaki 12 and then i had the balvenie 21!! The yamazaki was very nice but the balvenie was superior IMO.. thicker , more oily more depth.. What do you guys think?
I've not tasted the Yamazaki yet, but the Balvenie 21 is very good. If you get a chance, try GlenDronach 21 and see what you think.
Old 10-29-2015, 08:15 AM
ClubWhisky.com Moderator

Quote:
Hehe...when i open it ill send you a dram
Better yet bring it with you when you come to sample my collection.

Quote:
I've not been a fan of the Balvenie 21 or 14, but really like the 15 and 17.
Especially the 15 and it's one of my all time favorites.
Like the Yamazaki 12 too and always have it on hand but the Suntory that I really miss is the Hakushu 10. They replaced it with the more expensive and (in my opinion) inferior 12. Oh well...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesharry1 View Post
Recently i bought...Bowmore 12 Years...
I liked the Bowmore 12 and should go get another bottle to see if I still do.

What did you think of it so far?
Quote:
I've not tasted the Yamazaki yet, but the Balvenie 21 is very good. If you get a chance, try GlenDronach 21 and see what you think.
Like I said above, I like the Yamazaki 12, but definitely avoid their no age statement bottling.
I'll see if I can find any GlenDronach about but if you bring some you can have some of my Portwood 21.
Old 11-06-2015, 11:43 AM

Default Amrut single cask 6 year old

I bought 2 bottles of amrut single cask 6 year old indian whisky from the whiskybase shop online.. Has anyone tried amrut before?
Old 11-07-2015, 02:59 AM

Quote:
Has anyone tried amrut before?
No but almost bought a bottle last winter. Anxious to hear your review.
I'm not thrilled at the thought of consuming anything from India or China but we're gonna die eventually anyway.
Old 11-07-2015, 11:41 AM
ClubWhisky.com Moderator

Quote:
I bought 2 bottles of amrut single cask 6 year old indian whisky from the whiskybase shop online.. Has anyone tried amrut before?
I had some a few years ago as I was just getting interested in whisky and the only thing I remember is that I thought it was good at the time.
Old 11-19-2015, 10:31 AM
ClubWhisky.com Moderator

Just stopped into a liquor store to get some change today and even though I just 'knew' they wouldn't have anything of interest, lo and behold, there was a bottle of Laphroaig 10 Cask Strength for the same $55 they were selling the standard 10 for!

It's $80 around town, if you can find it and I'm glad to have it in my collection now!
Old 11-19-2015, 06:06 PM

Latest score was a Pair of Tobermory 15 yo.
Old 11-23-2015, 06:48 AM

This Bunnahabhain 12 is quite yummy. Not Islay tasting at all, more like a Speyside. Very silky for 46.3% abv but loaded with rich flavor.
I think I'm getting the slightest hint of peat sniffing the glass when it's been drained but I'm not sure.

This is definitely on the buy again list.

Last edited by BoxcarBill; 11-23-2015 at 06:51 AM.
Old 11-23-2015, 09:51 AM
ClubWhisky.com Moderator

Quote:
This Bunnahabhain 12 is quite yummy. Not Islay tasting at all, more like a Speyside. Very silky for 46.3% abv but loaded with rich flavor.
I think I'm getting the slightest hint of peat sniffing the glass when it's been drained but I'm not sure.

Your reviews are the best because you talk in terms not meant for sophisticates, but using words everyone can relate to, even if they just started drinking whisky.

Good job, now go have another sip.
Old 11-23-2015, 01:13 PM
ClubWhisky.com Member

Quote:
This Bunnahabhain...

Your nose is not deceiving you. The 12 is peated very slightly; according to Bunnahabhain, just under 2 ppm.
Old 12-01-2015, 09:31 AM

Laphroaig 32 year old.. All i can say so far is that it looks awesome
Old 12-14-2015, 04:42 PM
ClubWhisky.com Member

Just got back from a trip to Orlando. While there, I picked up a couple that I can't buy in my home state: Bunnahabhain 18 and Laphroaig Cairdeas 200 year anniversary.
Old 12-15-2015, 06:12 AM
ClubWhisky.com Moderator

Good score John! As you may have already noticed the Bunnahabhain 18 is one of my favorites.

If you haven't already tried the Cairdeas you're in for a surprise because it tastes like a Lagavulin and not at all like a Laphroaig!
Old 12-18-2015, 10:09 PM

[IMG][/IMG]

I'm a sucker for cool packaging.
Old 12-24-2015, 06:52 AM

Quote:

The last couple times I've had this it starts out rather alcohol hot then I get acclimated to it. The power of mood I guess.
Old 12-26-2015, 12:20 AM
ClubWhisky.com Moderator

Quote:
The last couple times I've had this it starts out rather alcohol hot then I get acclimated to it. The power of mood I guess.
That happens to me a lot! Well, sometimes.

Don't have the 12 but I'll toast you a Merry Christmas with the 18!
Old 12-26-2015, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Don't have the 12 but I'll toast you a Merry Christmas with the 18!
My Glencairn is in hand awaiting your pour.
I just now finished off an Ardbog bottle. I stood with it upside down for a good 3 minutes to get every drop. Kind of a sad moment but I recently opened a Corry. Life goes on...

Hope all is well in the north country & well wishes back to ya.

Last edited by BoxcarBill; 12-26-2015 at 06:38 AM.

Tags
whisky suggestions