ClubWhisky.com Forum - Questions About Whisky  

Go Back   ClubWhisky.com Forum - Questions About Whisky > All About Whisky! > Single Malt Scotch Whisky

Old 12-09-2013, 03:08 PM

Default Help! Right Type Of Decanter And Glasses?

Hi there,

I don't drink whisky but my fiance does. He's not the type to wear cufflinks or watches so I have decided to get him a nice decanter/glasses/whisky stones set as my wedding gift to him, accompanied by his favourite whisky.

I need some help as I had a first look online to gauge prices etc and noticed in some descriptions that some bottles were suited to certain types of whisky so I want to make sure I am getting him the right thing. I thought it best to come to real whisky drinkers rather than go somewhere where the ****sperson is just trying to get me to buy something just to make the ****.

I am planning on getting him a bottle of 12 year old Cardhu (he said this is the one he remembers enjoying the most from his Grampa's collection) and he prefers single malts. Thats about where my knowledge ends!

So can anyone shed any light on what type of decanter I should get (I'm assuming it's down to the shape and the material it's made from) and also the same for the glasses? I found one that was narrow and tall and apparently suited to light Canadian whiskies, whereas most others are short and wide. Also, are there any things I should avoid/look for with whisky stones? I've see square ones but I can't imagine they would be good for the health of the interior of the glass when swirling it around.

I don't want to get him something based on looks alone, I want it to be functional and suited to the kind of whisky he drinks.

So, to summarise:
What kind of decanter would suit 12 yr Cardhu?
What kind of glasses would suit 12 yr Cardhu/single malts in general?
What kind of whisky stones are best?

Looking forward to hearing your recommendations, or if there are any helpful guides you can point me in the direction of that would be great too!

Thanks
Sarah
Old 12-09-2013, 05:18 PM

After a little more research, I have seen some people note that decanters deteriorate the whisky and serves no purpose other than aesthetic reasons. Is this the case? Am I better off not bothering and perhaps using the money saved to get better quality glasses/stones?

Thanks
Sarah
Old 12-09-2013, 05:30 PM
ClubWhisky.com Moderator

If he's into single malts you may want to skip the stones altogether since we don't normally drink decent single malts chilled and they're not well suited to the favored whisky glass, which is the Glencairn Glass.

Personally I wouldn't even worry about the decanter either, as there's not much better than the actual bottle that your favored spirit comes in for pouring out of.

I'd suggest getting a set of 4-8 Glencairns for those times he wants to share a glass with friends. I've only got 4 and have found myself short more than once.

If you go to the link I put above you'll see there are also some cut crystal Glencairns and which to go with will depend more on his tastes. I've got some of the cut crystal Glencairns in this version and when I'm using my friends plain ones, find them to be a bit nicer in use and will probably end up getting some plain ones in the near future.

If you like the idea still of getting him a decanter, here's a nice one that would match the glasses above.

In closing, the Glencairn is the only glass ever made for the appreciation of fine whiskies and its design is perfect for all aspects of the tasting process. Just as you have glasses for wines, these were designed from the start for single malt appreciation and are a joy to use.
Old 12-10-2013, 06:28 PM

Whisky Bride and others,

You might like this set here

This is a great whisky (be surprised if he does not love it, and it comes with 2 very cool glasses. There are other gift sets like this available as well.

I want a decanter because every cool old guy in his study in a movie has one. But really I'd fill it with dirty water and use the bottles instead.
Old 12-10-2013, 06:42 PM
ClubWhisky.com Moderator

Yes, I agree with Islay Peat.
Just get him 4 or 8 Glencairn glasses and skip the decanter.
Then with the money you save, get him 2 bottles of whisky.
Cheers!

AUDENTES FORTUNA IUVAT
十人十色
"Chill out, it's just a whisky forum."
Old 12-11-2013, 12:57 AM

Well said! Two bottles of whisky and glencairn glasses would be ideal

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEtherMan View Post
Yes, I agree with Islay Peat.
Just get him 4 or 8 Glencairn glasses and skip the decanter.
Then with the money you save, get him 2 bottles of whisky.
Cheers!
I understand your sentiment, Bronco. I also love the look of a nice decanter, but like you said, it's purpose would be strictly decorative.
Old 12-11-2013, 02:13 AM

I should have some Glencairn glasses tomorrow. I kind of like my Whisky in the original bottle. And Congratulations!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 12-14-2013, 01:05 AM

Plain (as in no-brand-sticker) crystal dram glasses, NO decanter.

Don't know in which country you reside, but these are perfect: http://na.wwrd.com/ae/us/sparkle/mar.../701587142540/ and are $19.99 at Macys (USA). I have owned them for a while without a complaint. Very classy, not to heavy, not to light. Best $20 bucks you'd ever spend on crystal glassware. Take the savings and buy him a good bottle of single malt, may I suggest Balvenie 17yr Peated Cask?
Old 12-14-2013, 07:13 AM
ClubWhisky.com Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by STS View Post
Plain (as in no-brand-sticker) crystal dram glasses, NO decanter.

Don't know in which country you reside, but these are perfect: http://na.wwrd.com/ae/us/sparkle/mar.../701587142540/ and are $19.99 at Macys (USA). I have owned them for a while without a complaint. Very classy, not to heavy, not to light. Best $20 bucks you'd ever spend on crystal glassware. Take the savings and buy him a good bottle of single malt, may I suggest Balvenie 17yr Peated Cask?
Those glasses are only a couple bucks less than the best price on Glencairns, and not nearly as well suited for nosing.

Anyone that wants to really appreciate a good nosing whisky needs to look at the Glencairn glass.

Last edited by Islay Peat; 12-14-2013 at 07:20 AM.
Old 12-14-2013, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islay Peat View Post
Those glasses are only a couple bucks less than the best price on Glencairns, and not nearly as well suited for nosing.

Anyone that wants to really appreciate a good nosing whisky needs to look at the Glencairn glass.
I only paid $10 for my Glencairn glasses.

http://www.worldmarket.com/product/g...hisky-glass.do
Old 12-14-2013, 07:39 AM
ClubWhisky.com Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by William View Post
I only paid $10 for my Glencairn glasses.

http://www.worldmarket.com/product/g...hisky-glass.do
Each? You can get a set of 4 for less than $30 but if you got a set for $10 then that's the place to buy!
Old 12-29-2013, 06:15 AM

Although glencairn glasses aren't "my" favorites, I have to second the idea of not getting a decanter and just sticking with the bottle of scotch and the glasses. I also agree that most scotch drinkers like to keep their scotch stored in the original bottle, and most bottles are unique with interesting shapes and informative labels you just don't want to toss. BTW, congratulations.
Old 01-01-2014, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islay Peat View Post
Each? You can get a set of 4 for less than $30 but if you got a set for $10 then that's the place to buy!
My mistake. They were $10 each.
Old 05-30-2017, 07:08 PM

I know this question was asked by you looong ago and perhaps this answer is of no use to you anymore but hopefully, it will be for others who have the same or a similar question.

So, you were right! Whisky decanters serve no real purpose other than aesthetics. Does this mean you shouldn't buy one? This is entirely up to you and your hubbies preferences. I do have a little collection of decanters for whisky & wine and I wouldn't give them back, ever.

If you are looking for a decanter though it also is entirely up to you which one you get. It comes down to what style you like and where it will be on display as it should fit the rest of your bar. BUT there is one thing I wish to tell everybody to look out for: Is the decanter made of crystal lead glass or is it lead-free.

Because the alcohol will leach lead out of the glass into the beverage and thereby poison it, up to some degree. The longer you store it the higher will the level of lead within the whisky be. It takes a while until this becomes dangerous, however, it sure doesn't benefit health. So, depending on how long you intend on storing your whisky inside the decanter (equaling: how long you take to finish it) you might be better of with a lead-free decanter.

I think I can agree with the glasses which were already recommended.

Whisky stones? Well.. I'd say better don't bother buying them at all. Whisky stones are serving the sole purpose of cooling the whisky which only dulls the flavours. So, in my opinion, they are a total waste. No whisky connoisseur would use whisky stones.
If you want your whisky chilled just use normal ice cubes. Aren't they watering it down? - You might ask. Yes! But that is kinda the point. Look, the thing is that adding a bit of water often benefits the whisky and helps it to unfold its flavours. Which is why many people add a hint of water to their whiskies. So, when you use ice cubes they do fulfil two purposes, first: Ice cubes cool your whisky as desired. Secondly: they then help the whisky to unfold its flavour (at least a bit).

I created a whole website about decanters of various types, dedicated to informing about all the aspects and the things you should know in order to choose the right glass decanter fitting your needs and expectations. So for all who are unsure about how to choose a whisky decanter (such as what criteria, pros n cons, quality etc.) visit:
http://carafes-and-decanters.com/whiskey-decanters/

Hope it's gonna be of help to some of you!

Tags
cardhu, decanter, glencairns