ClubWhisky.com Forum - Questions About Whisky  

Go Back   ClubWhisky.com Forum - Questions About Whisky > All About Whisky! > Single Malt Scotch Whisky

Old 03-07-2016, 06:07 PM

Smile Islay Scotch Anniversary Gift

Hello!
For our anniversary I want to buy my husband an array of scotches. He loves Islay scotches in particular. He likes the smoke and peaty flavors the most. I have about 4 picked out so my question is are these 4 good choices or are there others that might be better options?
1. Lagavulin 16 yo
2. Laphroaig Quater Cask
3. Caol Ila 12 yo
4.Ardbeg Uigeadail
Old 03-07-2016, 07:44 PM
ClubWhisky.com Member

Welcome to the forum!

The Lagavulin 16 and Laphroaig Quarter Cask are certainly peaty and smoky. Although Quarter Cask is one of my favorites, I'm told that some find it a bit too much. If your husband loves Islay whiskies, he will probably do well with it.

As for the Caol Ila 12 and Ardbeg Uigeadail, I've not tried either, so I can't speak to those. Other forum members here have, and they'll probably post comments/suggestions soon.

Has your husband had any of these particular whiskies before? It is very thoughtful that you've made selections from multiple distilleries, and I would think your husband would be well pleased with your choices.

How many years, if I may ask?
Old 03-08-2016, 08:17 AM

Hi, and welcome.
Although I find the Quarter Cask too harsh/young for me it's quite tasty and complex. The Lagavulin 16 is very good, a bit spendy though. The Uigeadail is good also but I prefer the VERY tasty Corryvreckan to it. (might be a bit over the top for some though)
The Caol Ila 12 is quite silky but a bit monotoned, soft on the palate for as Islay, and in my opinion overpriced. Ardbeg 10 is a good bang for the buck but it's price is rising.
If you can get Springbank 10 (not an Islay) for about $60 that would be a good one to add to the mix.

Just my 2.

Last edited by BoxcarBill; 03-08-2016 at 08:48 AM.
Old 03-08-2016, 11:06 AM
ClubWhisky.com Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by KayWalt View Post
I have about 4 picked out so my question is are these 4 good choices or are there others that might be better options?
1. Lagavulin 16 yo
2. Laphroaig Quarter Cask
3. Caol Ila 12 yo
4. Ardbeg Uigeadail
I like all 4 of these and the only adjustments I might make to this list would be to buy the Laphroaig 10 and Ardbeg 10 if price and making a basic lineup was the goal. However, if price is not a big issue then the changes I would offer would be to go with Lagavulin 12 and Ardbeg Corryvreckan. Having both Lagavulin 16 and 12, the 12 is by far their best and as a huge Ardbeg fan, Corryvreckan is king.

I'm with John when it comes to Laphroaig Quarter Cask and have always liked it. I also love the Caol Ila 12, and again, when I drink these I don't compare them so much, but rather pick which one I'm going to drink based on its own set of merits, and these two are a nice contrast to the rest of the pack.

One more point on Uigeadail vs. Corryvreckan is that, at least to me, they seem to be almost the same product, apart from other Ardbegs in a general sense, with the Corryvreckan just completely taking the lead, and for this reason I no longer buy my old favored Uigeadail because I have Corrvreckan instead. That said, I still keep Ardbeg 10 on hand, as it is perfect in its own right and is always good.

Tags
islay, scotch