ClubWhisky.com Forum - Questions About Whisky  

Go Back   ClubWhisky.com Forum - Questions About Whisky > All About Whisky! > Single Malt Scotch Whisky

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 03-08-2016, 03:22 PM
chrswhsky chrswhsky is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 1
Default Dissertation Research

This thread seems to be for naught as the link to the survey has already been closed by the OP. I have left the link in place for the time being but as Jojo has already requested the OP to hopefully participate in the rest of the forum, there has been no update or even notice saying that the survey has been discontinued.

Jojo and I will be keeping an eye on this and if the OP re-activates the survey and starts participating I'll probably delete this message.


Hi there,

I'm currently in my final year of studying a Marketing degree in Glasgow and have decided to focus my dissertation on the exploration of heritage branding within the Scotch whisky market.

As part of my dissertation I need to carry out research and have decided to do this using an online survey.

If you could be so kind and take 10 minutes out of your day to fill in my survey it would be of great help!

Exploring the relationship between heritage branding and consumer purchase behaviour of regular whisky drinkers within the Scotch Whisky industry

Thank you!

Last edited by Islay Peat; 03-09-2016 at 04:17 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 03-08-2016, 04:30 PM
john_b's Avatar
john_b john_b is offline
ClubWhisky.com Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 187
Default

For any forum members that may read this: the survey seems to be legitimate.

To the OP: I tend to be skeptical when I see a link such as the one you posted. But I run solid antivirus and I decided to give it a try. To your credit, the survey heading offers your identity, and a decent explanation as to the goal of the survey.

Honestly, I don't know what to make of today's marketing trends. Personally, I tend to avoid fancy packaging, regardless of brand. Let the bottle contents speak for themselves. Give me a clean, easy to read label, with the age of the whisky clearly visible.

While there's nothing wrong with an NAS whisky (and there are certainly some good ones out there), there seems to be a growing trend toward more and more NAS, and less age statement whiskies. Such a trend may fly in the short term, as the "fad" consumers make their pass through whatever type the beverage may be, Scotch, bourbon, vodka, etc., and the distilleries try to pump out enough to keep up with the demand, and even more important for them, maximize profits. But when the fad dies down, the distilleries will be left with those of us that appreciate the time it takes to slowly craft a great product, while the fad crowd will have moved on to the next flavor of the month.

What then?
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 03-09-2016, 12:02 AM
BoxcarBill's Avatar
BoxcarBill BoxcarBill is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Idaho
Posts: 412
Default

Wasn't this/something similar put to us about a year ago?
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 03-09-2016, 01:07 AM
Jojo's Avatar
Jojo Jojo is offline
ClubWhisky.com Admin
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Atlanta, GA (Virginia-Highland)
Posts: 2,227
Default

Hi there, chrswhsky!

While we don't mind you requesting feedback and insight from our ClubWhisky.com members and guests, we do hope this is not the sole reason for you being here. If you can get more involved with our forum, all the better. We, of course, would like to hear more of what you have to say.

Hope to see ya around!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrswhsky View Post
Hi there,

I'm currently in my final year of studying a Marketing degree in Glasgow and have decided to focus my dissertation on the exploration of heritage branding within the Scotch whisky market.

As part of my dissertation I need to carry out research and have decided to do this using an online survey.

If you could be so kind and take 10 minutes out of your day to fill in my survey it would be of great help!

http://goo.gl/forms/o9p6UfxWvK

Thank you!

Last edited by Jojo; 03-09-2016 at 01:11 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 03-09-2016, 01:12 AM
Jojo's Avatar
Jojo Jojo is offline
ClubWhisky.com Admin
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Atlanta, GA (Virginia-Highland)
Posts: 2,227
Default

Possibly - I'll have to check it out. Good memory!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxcarBill View Post
Wasn't this/something similar put to us about a year ago?
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 03-09-2016, 01:31 AM
john_b's Avatar
john_b john_b is offline
ClubWhisky.com Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 187
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxcarBill View Post
Wasn't this/something similar put to us about a year ago?
My memory about such things is poor at best, but now that you mention it, there may have been.

JoJo said she was going to check it out, so maybe she will come up with something.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 03-09-2016, 01:43 AM
Jojo's Avatar
Jojo Jojo is offline
ClubWhisky.com Admin
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Atlanta, GA (Virginia-Highland)
Posts: 2,227
Default

I just did a quick search and found there was a survey request in 2013 regarding Jameson whiskey and another in 2011 regarding Glenlivet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by john_b View Post
My memory about such things is poor at best, but now that you mention it, there may have been.

JoJo said she was going to check it out, so maybe she will come up with something.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 03-09-2016, 01:35 PM
Jojo's Avatar
Jojo Jojo is offline
ClubWhisky.com Admin
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Atlanta, GA (Virginia-Highland)
Posts: 2,227
Thumbs up

Thanks john_b for your help and input!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by john_b View Post
For any forum members that may read this: the survey seems to be legitimate.

To the OP: I tend to be skeptical when I see a link such as the one you posted. But I run solid antivirus and I decided to give it a try. To your credit, the survey heading offers your identity, and a decent explanation as to the goal of the survey.

Honestly, I don't know what to make of today's marketing trends. Personally, I tend to avoid fancy packaging, regardless of brand. Let the bottle contents speak for themselves. Give me a clean, easy to read label, with the age of the whisky clearly visible.

While there's nothing wrong with an NAS whisky (and there are certainly some good ones out there), there seems to be a growing trend toward more and more NAS, and less age statement whiskies. Such a trend may fly in the short term, as the "fad" consumers make their pass through whatever type the beverage may be, Scotch, bourbon, vodka, etc., and the distilleries try to pump out enough to keep up with the demand, and even more important for them, maximize profits. But when the fad dies down, the distilleries will be left with those of us that appreciate the time it takes to slowly craft a great product, while the fad crowd will have moved on to the next flavor of the month.

What then?
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 03-09-2016, 05:27 PM
john_b's Avatar
john_b john_b is offline
ClubWhisky.com Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 187
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrswhsky View Post
This thread seems to be for naught as the link to the survey has already been closed by the OP. I have left the link in place for the time being but as Jojo has already requested the OP to hopefully participate in the rest of the forum, there has been no update or even notice saying that the survey has been discontinued.

Jojo and I will be keeping an eye on this and if the OP re-activates the survey and starts participating I'll probably delete this message.

I'm startin' to feel like I stepped in a pile of dog poo....
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 03-09-2016, 06:12 PM
Jojo's Avatar
Jojo Jojo is offline
ClubWhisky.com Admin
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Atlanta, GA (Virginia-Highland)
Posts: 2,227
Thumbs up

john_b - all good! If no action on this in the next few days, this thread will be closed. Thanks again!
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 03-10-2016, 06:30 AM
Islay Peat's Avatar
Islay Peat Islay Peat is online now
ClubWhisky.com Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Alaska
Posts: 949
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by john_b View Post
I'm startin' to feel like I stepped in a pile of dog poo....
Hahaha! Not you John, and maybe not even the OP (hopefully??), but looking at the link and finding it already locked kind of made a waste of your excellent and generous post.

You're one of the best this forum has to offer, and with that said, and in honor of you post where you mentioned NAS bottlings, I'm having one of my favorites now, Corryvreckan. Who ever said NAS has to be bottom rung!

Jojo, great seeing you here so much more lately. Care to share a dram? I've got my Corry in the Glencairn now...
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 03-10-2016, 05:44 PM
Jojo's Avatar
Jojo Jojo is offline
ClubWhisky.com Admin
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Atlanta, GA (Virginia-Highland)
Posts: 2,227
Default

This forum needs a LIKE button!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islay Peat View Post
Hahaha! Not you John, and maybe not even the OP (hopefully??), but looking at the link and finding it already locked kind of made a waste of your excellent and generous post.

You're one of the best this forum has to offer, and with that said, and in honor of you post where you mentioned NAS bottlings, I'm having one of my favorites now, Corryvreckan. Who ever said NAS has to be bottom rung!

Jojo, great seeing you here so much more lately. Care to share a dram? I've got my Corry in the Glencairn now...
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 03-11-2016, 07:10 AM
Islay Peat's Avatar
Islay Peat Islay Peat is online now
ClubWhisky.com Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Alaska
Posts: 949
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jojo View Post
This forum needs a LIKE button!
I'm a big fan of forums that have a Like button because it allows people to nod in approval or laugh without cluttering up a thread. The forums I'm on that have one get lots of clicks from me, but I hate to make a post unless I have something to add. So can we get one?
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 01:35 AM.


Whisky.com Home | History of Whisky | Distillery Directory | Tours | Calendar of Events | Gift Shop | Contact Us