ClubWhisky.com Forum - Questions About Whisky  

Go Back   ClubWhisky.com Forum - Questions About Whisky > All About Whisky! > Single Malt Scotch Whisky

Old 04-07-2016, 06:32 PM

Default Private Preserve?

Have any of you guys used this? It seems to be a mix of Nitrogen and Argon and most people rave about it preserving their liquors.

The main purpose I would use it is to try and stay off oxidation on my more expensive Scotch's like my Macallan 21 thats already half empty. (Yes I know I can decant it, but part of the "fun" is having it in the bottle!). It seems like the products main detractors complain about price, but for expensive scotchs this is definitely not an issue...

My main concern is whether this gas will somehow taint the taste of the whisky in the long term.

Anyone have any long term experience with this stuff?
Old 04-08-2016, 02:35 AM
ClubWhisky.com Member

I don't have any experience with Private Preserve. My preservation methods consist of keeping the bottle in a dark place (a closet), and not expose it to excessive heat. Once a bottle is open, I tend to not keep it around long enough for serious oxidation to become an issue, i.e. it's gone within a few months to a year at most. What little changes do occur, I find interesting.
Old 04-08-2016, 03:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by john_b View Post
I don't have any experience with Private Preserve. My preservation methods consist of keeping the bottle in a dark place (a closet), and not expose it to excessive heat. Once a bottle is open, I tend to not keep it around long enough for serious oxidation to become an issue, i.e. it's gone within a few months to a year at most. What little changes do occur, I find interesting.
I just began drinking scotch, so in my excitement to try all the flavors I have found myself with a good collection of nicely priced bottle ($50-$150) with only a dram or two out of them. This was before I found out that whisky oxidizes. So while some of the everyday type bottles like the Macallan 12/15,Glenlivet,Chivas will surely not make it past a year, many of the others I'm afraid will.

There are many more expensive bottles that I want to have for the occasional dram ($100-$300) but I can't bring myself to buy them knowing I have to either drink them soon or have them deteriorate within the year. Variety is the spice of life!

Thats why I was hoping something like the Private Preserve would extend the oxidation time by a year or two on the expensive bottles.
Old 04-08-2016, 12:20 PM
ClubWhisky.com Member

I understand your concern, having read some of the web pages that suggest the "year" duration.

Here's the thing: Scotch whisky doesn't have a timer built into it. Some of those whiskies will last far longer than a year; others, maybe not even a year. Some think the more delicate the whisky, the quicker the deterioration. I don't know. No doubt whisky oxidizes, but I don't believe it's settled science as to how fast that happens with each and every whisky in the marketplace. Many hold the opinion that a lot of it has to do with how much whisky is still in the bottle; if it's down to about a third to a quarter, then call a few friends and finish it off.

I also know of at least one other person here that has a bottle or two unsealed for going on 2 years, and they tell me the whisky still tastes just fine. Maybe they'll read this thread and share their experiences.

Those bottles you've only had a dram or two from, will probably be OK for a long time if you store them in a dark place and keep them out of excessive heat.

Tags
oxidation, private preserve, private reserve, whisky life