ClubWhisky.com Forum - Questions About Whisky  

Go Back   ClubWhisky.com Forum - Questions About Whisky > All About Whisky! > Single Malt Scotch Whisky

Old 08-31-2016, 06:45 AM

Default Buying a good Highland Scotch in Scotland...

My friend (lucky) is heading to Scotland for two weeks and has kindly offered to bring me back a bottle of Scotch (she owes me!).
I'm looking for something unique, outstanding, delicious, Highland, and unavailable I'm Canada.
My favourite scotch so far is Glenmorangie Pride 1978.

I enjoy sharing a nice Scotch with some friends. I love letting them try something unique, different, and delicious.

My current list of likes:
Balblair 1989
Balblair 2002
Singleton of Dufftown
Balvenie Triple Wood
Balv eine Caribbean Cask
Tullibardine 225 Sauternes finish
Old Putney 16
Aberlour A'Bunadh
Etc.
Does anyone have a recommendation for a unique (not in a bad way) and delcious Highland that isn't available except locally?

Thanks,
Dennis
Old 09-01-2016, 01:58 AM

My only suggestion is to tell him to get something from the export duty free shop. Although the selection may be limited compared to other shops the savings can be substantial.
I've only had the Balvenie Caribbean Cask (liked) and the Aberlour A'Bunadh (didn't much care for) on your list.
I'm currently mixing the A'Bunadh, about 20%, with 80% Ardbeg 10.

Last edited by BoxcarBill; 09-01-2016 at 02:03 AM.
Old 09-01-2016, 11:23 AM
ClubWhisky.com Moderator

I'm another who didn't care for the A'Bunadh, but that really doesn't matter because you do, and that is what matters.

Tell your friend that going to Cadenhead's seems to be a pretty universally recommended shop to go to. I've got a few friends who have been there and nothing but glowing reviews so far. They particularly seem to enjoy having people ask for them to pick something really good, and treat people better if they show some humility.
Old 09-03-2016, 05:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islay Peat View Post
They particularly seem to enjoy having people ask for them to pick something really good, and treat people better if they show some humility.
That's good to know, because I was planning on popping into their shop and acting like a completely obnoxious, overbearing malt snob (kidding!!)
Old 09-03-2016, 12:03 PM
ClubWhisky.com Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son-o'-the-Sod(?) View Post
That's good to know, because I was planning on popping into their shop and acting like a completely obnoxious, overbearing malt snob (kidding!!)
LoL

I wouldn't have thought of even saying that if not for a story from a friend who had been there a couple years ago. Bottom line was that he got treated much better as a self-acknowledged novice than the know-it-all in line ahead of him.

Tags
highland, scotland, traveling - scotland