ClubWhisky.com Forum - Questions About Whisky  

Go Back   ClubWhisky.com Forum - Questions About Whisky > All About Whisky! > Single Malt Scotch Whisky

Old 09-14-2016, 07:54 AM

Default Does The Shape Actually Affects How Whisky Taste ?

I came across this website which is a set of tripod glass inspired by the oriental drinking vessel. I always thought that the shape of the glass affects how drink actually taste and smell is a saying that comes from the western drinking culture, but apparently the Chinese has the same philosophy as well.

But, can anyone tell me how to differentiate them ? Cause I never get it but it seems legitimate.

Last edited by Islay Peat; 09-15-2016 at 01:12 PM.
Old 09-15-2016, 02:34 AM
ClubWhisky.com Member

I'm not sure what it is you wish differentiated...are you referring to the effect the different glass shapes have on the taste of the whisky?

If so, my personal experience is that a glass that is wider near the bottom and narrow at the top (a glencairn, a nosing copita, or at least a snifter) help focus the aromatics of the whisky. Since smell has a significant impact on taste, the specialized glassware does indeed enhance the taste experience.
Old 09-15-2016, 01:15 PM
ClubWhisky.com Moderator

I agree with John, and although the OP appears to have been spamming us by posting a thread for the purpose of drawing attention to a website (which I deleted), I'm leaving the thread so we can talk about glass shape in general.

That said, I love my Glencairns. John, how about a drink!
Old 09-15-2016, 02:36 PM
ClubWhisky.com Member

I ran across this page recently, where the author compares several different types of glasses. It's just one man's opinion, but interesting how he went about it (at least to me):

http://www.whisky-emporium.com/UK/Fe...WhichGlass.htm

I started out with a small snifter, simply because that's what I had. I soon received my first glencairn from my older son, which I still enjoy using to this day.

Last Christmas, I asked for (and received) a nosing copita, and I am thoroughly enjoying it. Having used it for about 8 months now, I would be hard pressed to choose a favorite between it and the standard glencairn.
Old 09-22-2016, 11:21 PM

I like a glencarin glass unless I am drinking Glenmorangie. If I drink Glenmorangie I use a Glenmorangie glass.

Old 09-23-2016, 02:03 AM
ClubWhisky.com Moderator

Maybe that's what I need to make it taste better to me...
Old 09-23-2016, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islay Peat View Post
Maybe that's what I need to make it taste better to me...
Glenmorangie is one of my favorite brands but I am partial to Speyside whisky. That's why we have choices. (I love Islay whisky too. )

The Glenmorangie glass might help. As you know, a lot of the taste is in the "nose" and I can get my nose down inside the Glenmorangie glass.

Last week my son and I did a Scotch whisky tasting at a bar in San Francisco. They used tulip glasses. It was hard to get a good nose with those glasses. A glencarin glass would have helped.
Old 09-23-2016, 01:48 PM
ClubWhisky.com Moderator

Wasn't interested the first time I saw them but I love my Glencairn glasses now and although I have a liking for many Highland and Speyside bottlings, Glenmorangie has successfully stymied me so far.

I'll continue to give them a try when the opportunity arises but at present I'm leaving my portion available for those able to enjoy them. Like food, it's all good, even if we don't personally like it.

Tags
glass, glencarin, glenmorangie glass, nose