ClubWhisky.com Forum - Questions About Whisky  

Go Back   ClubWhisky.com Forum - Questions About Whisky > All About Whisky! > Single Malt Scotch Whisky

Old 03-18-2013, 04:34 PM

Default New To Forum, New To Scotch; Need Mentor!

Salute!

I've been drinking good bourbon and sour mash for many years. I think it's about time for me to learn a little about Scotch. What I know about it wouldn't fill a thimble, so I'm asking for some guidance.

I will continue to enjoy my 'every day' choices, but my partaking of Scotch will be a special treat to myself on occasion.

I'd be very grateful if one of you experienced gentlemen would be willing to steer me in getting started in the adventures that await me.

Many thanks,

Va Jim,
Floyd, VA
Old 03-18-2013, 06:23 PM

Which single malts have you tried so far and which ones did you like?
Old 03-18-2013, 07:56 PM

Just walked out of the dug out. Haven't tried a thing and don't have a clue where to start.

Now you know what kinda' beginner you're dealin' with!
Old 03-18-2013, 08:44 PM

I've been doing a bit of research. Would 12 YO Glenlivet be a good place to start?
Old 03-18-2013, 11:45 PM

Yes glenlivet 12 is great. Also try glenfiddich 12 year old, balvenie 15 year old, glenfiddich 14 year old rich oak , and if you can find any of the sherry oak macallans 10 and 12 year old should be wide available. All of these whiskies are from the speyside region. Speyside whiskies are my favorite and are great for a beginner. I also enjoy ardbeg and laphroaig from Islay region but I suggest that you wait to get some experience and then try Islay whisky because they have a very powerful taste and some times scares beginners.
If you want a little bit of peat as an introduction to the Islay whisky you can try isle of Jura 10 year old and the highland park 12 year old.
Cheers
Old 03-19-2013, 05:07 AM

Mmmmm... I love single malt whiskies.

Goodness, you could start with Macallan 12yr for a sherried Highland/Speyside, then go to Highland Park 12yr for a lightly peated/spicy/smoky islander, then try the Glenmorangie Nectar D'Or for a nicely finished Highlander, then try Bunnahabhain 12yr for an introduction to Islay whiskies (more peat/smoke than HP12), then just start drinking everything you can find, including the following:

Dalmore 15
Aberlour A'Bunadh
Highland Park 18
Auchentoshan Three Wood
Balvenie (anything, they are all excellent)

After you have tired with the delightfully tasty nectar, try out the following:

Laphroaig 10
Lagavulin 16
Ardbeg Uigeadail
Old 03-19-2013, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by va jim View Post
I've been doing a bit of research. Would 12 YO Glenlivet be a good place to start?
Glenlivet would be a good place to start, but its not much different than what you're used to drinking... flavor-wise. I think you will like it, but not see much point in spending the money. That was what I thought anyway. I'd buy another bottle if I could find it for $25 or less.

The Glenfiddich 12 is a good place to start as well. It has a very "pear" taste to me that I love. I think I will always have a bottle of fiddich around.

Glenmorangie 10yr orignial is another good starter. At first I thought it was too "spirit tasting", but as I worked through the bottle, I found a fruitiness and sweetness that I love.

There are lots of good whiskies, but those are inexpensive, easily found whiskies that I'm sure you will like well enough to at least finish the bottle

I started on Laphroaig 10yr. I didn't like it at first. Tasted too "mediciney". Now I love the stuff and buy it several bottles at a time! You're going to have to try Laph eventually, so its up to you whether to try it now or later.
Old 03-20-2013, 11:38 AM

Should start trying to decide which styles you prefer, sweeter brands or smokey peat types.
Old 03-20-2013, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by valuetl View Post
Should start trying to decide which styles you prefer, sweeter brands or smokey peat types.
I'm more inclined toward a sweet taste. I'll start with the Glenlivet and go from there.

One bottle at a time.
Old 03-20-2013, 09:46 PM

My uncle drank Glenlivet all his life. It was his favorite, though I'm not sure how many he tried. I thought it was a very smooth whisky, but wasn't much different from your run-of-the-mill whiskies... just smoother is all. I read a few posts on here saying Glenlivet has too much spirit taste or burns too much. I didn't get that at all. Maybe a difference in bottlings? Glenlivet means "smooth flowing one".

If you like sweet, you might look for something matured in rum casks. The Balvenie 14 year old Carribean Rum Cask is fairly sweet and you can definitely taste the sugar! I mean, its not sweet like candy, but you can taste the taste of sugar. Like the taste you would get from sucking on rock candy.

Oh, and smokey peat can be sweet too. Sweet like a cigar would be.
Old 03-21-2013, 03:36 AM
Administrator & Owner ClubWhisky.com

Suggest you review the many Whiskies that member jwise has noted:
http://www.whisky.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=8
Old 03-29-2013, 08:35 PM
ClubWhisky.com Moderator

For a gentle introduction to Islay flavorings you may try something less expensive and gentler like Black Grouse or one of the generic Islay bottlings that many stores carry.

For a bit more money you may also try Caol Ila 12 and Bowmore 12, both very good, but gentle as well. Then go find the Laphroaig 10 and Ardbeg 10...
Old 04-02-2013, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by va jim View Post
Salute!

I've been drinking good bourbon and sour mash for many years. I think it's about time for me to learn a little about Scotch. What I know about it wouldn't fill a thimble, so I'm asking for some guidance.

I will continue to enjoy my 'every day' choices, but my partaking of Scotch will be a special treat to myself on occasion.

I'd be very grateful if one of you experienced gentlemen would be willing to steer me in getting started in the adventures that await me.

Many thanks,

Va Jim,
Floyd, VA
I'd suggest to pick up a copy of Michael Jackson's "The Malt Whisky Companion" first to figure out what basic flavours you might like. Whiskies along that path would be than your first preference, then you can widen the path into different directions.

The Glenlivet or a Balvenie would be a good start before entering into to peaty or sherry or very distinctive other flavours...
Old 05-03-2013, 10:35 PM

Around my area, I can often find 50ml bottles of some of the more common malts: Glenlivet 12, Glenfiddich 12, etc...

If you look a little harder, you can find some more obscure offerings. I recommend you scour your local shops for as many miniatures as you can find, taste them, then come back on here and rank them for us.

Tell us what you liked, what you didn't like, and we can try and steer you in the direction of your palate.
Old 05-08-2013, 12:02 AM

I am like Jim. Bourbon and cigars gave been my go to relaxation recipe. Some friends of mine are introducing me to scotch. I never liked the peaty flavor before, but gave tried some that are nit so harsh. Looking to learn
Old 05-08-2013, 05:31 AM

In addition to the wealth of information in front of you in this forum, I have found the following to be very helpful...

Malt flavor grid: http://sipsmokesavor.com/index.php/malts

Many reviews by a relative newbie: http://scotchnoob.com/reviews/

Single Malt Whiskey Flavor Map: http://www.malts.com/index.php/en_us...ky-Flavour-Map

Kevin Erskine, Instant Expert's Guide to Single Malt Scotch (book)

Tasting events are gold mines, allowing you to sample a variety without committing to an expensive bottle which you might not enjoy. Checking with your local St. Andrew's Society or Scottish Heritage Society might be helpful in finding one.

The world of single malts is amazingly diverse, fascinating, complex and immensely enjoyable. It is not a subject which one masters at all quickly. Welcome to the adventure.

Last edited by David_T; 05-08-2013 at 06:13 AM.
Old 05-08-2013, 02:20 PM
ClubWhisky.com Member

Interesting links, much appreciated!

Tags
whisky suggestions