ClubWhisky.com Forum - Questions About Whisky  

Go Back   ClubWhisky.com Forum - Questions About Whisky > All About Whisky! > Single Malt Scotch Whisky

Old 10-27-2013, 08:51 AM
ClubWhisky.com Moderator

Default Lagavulin 16 problem!

I love Lagavulin 16 and every time I've had it, it's been a very enjoyable night.

Then I bought a bottle a few weeks back, and there's just nothing special about it.

The bottle I bought last year was great, from start to finish.

The bottle I had them open at a bar this summer was great.

The one that was a quarter gone and I helped finish off that night in a bar this last spring was great.

Same with the one I tried at a scotch tasting a few months back.

The only Lagavulin 16 I've ever had that didn't cheer me up is the bottle I've got in the cupboard now.

Last night in a bar I had a glass of Lagavulin 16 and again, it was perfect, so much so that I even nosed the glass after it was empty.

Anyone else had an experience like this with one of their favorite drinks?
Old 10-27-2013, 02:10 PM
ClubWhisky.com Member

I've not run into this yet, but a couple of things come to mind:

Maybe your bottle has been exposed to excessive light or sunlight somewhere along the way.

Or, maybe it's TCA/TBA. I've never tasted the effects of TCA or TBA, so I have no clue if it would simply make the whisky taste "off" or if there is a particular nose or taste element that clearly identifies TCA or TBA.

From an earlier thread: http://www.whisky.com/forum/showthread.php?t=97074

The poster of that thread states that there are taste and smell elements but apparently from reading through the post, a lot of people don't readily notice it.

Maybe it's neither of the above, but something else entirely, such as batch variation?

Is mislabeling even a possibility? As in, what you have is actually a bottle of 12? But if that were the case, I'm thinking you could easily detect the color difference.

I'm just throwing out some ideas. Probably not much help.

Last edited by john_b; 10-27-2013 at 02:18 PM.
Old 10-29-2013, 09:18 AM
ClubWhisky.com Moderator

I had a taste the after making that post and it didn't taste bad, actually enjoyable, but still not the way that it usually is for me.

Had the 12 a couple times, and after my tasting of it back in the spring, I think I may actually prefer it. Higher price too though, so if it were the 12 it would probably have the opposite effect on my liking of it!
Old 10-30-2013, 04:42 AM

I haven't had the 16 more than a couple of times, but I've heard anecdotally that the current version lacks something in comparison to older bottlings.
Old 10-30-2013, 06:32 AM

You know that in 1997 Lagavulin greatly increased production volumes to try to meet a higher demand. So the new bottlings under the new higher volumes would be bottled during 2013.

This could be the reason for the difference, there was a lot of suspicion around other sites to whether the quality would drop off, and it may have done.
Old 10-30-2013, 11:25 AM
ClubWhisky.com Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son-o'-the-Sod(?) View Post
I haven't had the 16 more than a couple of times, but I've heard anecdotally that the current version lacks something in comparison to older bottlings.
Quote:
Originally Posted by opelfruit View Post
You know that in 1997 Lagavulin greatly increased production volumes to try to meet a higher demand. So the new bottlings under the new higher volumes would be bottled during 2013.

This could be the reason for the difference, there was a lot of suspicion around other sites to whether the quality would drop off, and it may have done.
I think that the bars I've had it at this year must have older stock and mine's from the most recent batch then.

At very least it's still enjoyable - just not the heavenly experience I've been having in all other instances, and it being only the second time I've bought a bottle of it.
Old 11-02-2013, 03:34 AM

I can't believe they would do this to such a beloved whisky. It's is truly a shame but I have watched companies go down this same road my entire life.
Take an excellent product and start watering it down until they go out of business.
I guess it's all about squeezing every penny out of it. I like the things that remain then same.
Like ME
Under worked and over paid according to my last review at work. No crap that's what they said