ClubWhisky.com Forum - Questions About Whisky  

Go Back   ClubWhisky.com Forum - Questions About Whisky > All About Whisky! > Single Malt Scotch Whisky

Old 11-07-2013, 03:18 AM

Default Would I like Glenmorangie Ealanta?

I'm a Macallan drinker and my favorites are the 12 and 25. I've also tried Cask Strength. I've tried other whiskies including Jura and Talisker and they are OK. I also like Maker's Mark. What I did not like was the bottle of Macallan Fine Oak that my partner bought for me. It tasted, ummm, rather oaky. So I wonder about Ealanta which a lot of people are calling the world's best scotch right now. I've read descriptions of it which mention the American oak charred barrels and the oak overtones in the whisky itself.

Do you think someone like me would like Ealanta, who prefers Speyside but doesn't enjoy too much oak character in their whisky?
Old 11-08-2013, 05:14 AM

If your not a Bourbon fan, chance our you not gonna fall in love with it. the nose is a pure bourbon and the finish is too. It taste more like a refined Bourbon than a single malt scotch. Not in a bad way but nothing like you expect from a scotch whisky.

But i also want to try it at least once. I like to try new things and this is one of the new things going on right now in Whisky. Distillery using Virigan Oaks to mature their whiskies. Alot of time they used old bourbon cask and that give its a good favor but a Virgin Cask is going to give it Alot of the favors you get from small batch bourbons. So I would try it but know what to expect from it.
Old 11-12-2013, 10:12 AM

Have a bottle of Ealanta coming in plus found another bottle of Sonnalta PX 1000 ML ! Let you know how it tastes.
Old 01-01-2014, 08:06 AM

What did you think?

For me, and to put it bluntly, Glenmorangie just sent a single, sneaky, sophisticated Master across the pond to whoop our American arses.

No need to send many, no need to repeat it.... Ealanta did its job, and for that, I would like to send Glenmorangie a most sincere and heart felt message... "Up yours and Thank You... I will drink as much of it as I can get my hands on."

Last edited by donmorgan; 01-01-2014 at 08:08 AM.
Old 01-27-2014, 12:02 PM

^ Totally agree. They pulled a fast one. Your have to try it. Never had a scotch that melted bourbon with scotch like this. My problem is I can't keep it away from my wife.

Tags
glenmorangie, glenmorangie ealanta