ClubWhisky.com Forum - Questions About Whisky  

Go Back   ClubWhisky.com Forum - Questions About Whisky > All About Whisky! > Single Malt Scotch Whisky

Old 12-01-2013, 10:58 PM

Default The Balvenie Tun 1401 Batch 9 Availability

I have noticed that the Batch 9 seems to be much more difficult to find than the Batch 6 or Batch 3 (here in the USA). One used to be able to find the Batch 3 on the shelves still as of this year. I have been contacting the numerous liquor stores in the greater Bay Area (SF Bay) and it seems like no one can get the distributor to release the bottles and those that do have them have been asking at least $50/bottle over suggested retail value.

It also appears that the online stores sell out of the bottles as soon as they get them.

Anyone else notice this?

Any idea what is going on?

Scotty

BTW: I did open a bottle of the Batch 9 on Friday. Report to come later.
Old 12-02-2013, 09:56 PM

I have noticed the same thing. None of my usual places in SoCal have made it available yet. Looking forward to your review of it though.
Old 12-03-2013, 03:09 AM

I bought 2 bottles a few weeks ago, bought one then found out how hard it was to get so I went back and bought the second one. Price was around 235.
Old 12-04-2013, 12:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotch Neat View Post
I bought 2 bottles a few weeks ago, bought one then found out how hard it was to get so I went back and bought the second one. Price was around 235.
The price I have been seeing out in my area is about $335 after taxes. You got a steal, my friend. Good Job.

Scotty
Old 12-04-2013, 05:04 PM

I think it's hard to find because of what it is and how cheap it is.
You basicly have a 35 year old +/- whisky put togther by one of the greats at a little over $200.00.
Online stores have people watching for it and buy it on the spot whereas they used to wait for some reviews first before dropping the cash down on the 1st few batches.
I didn't wait for those reviews for batch 9 and took a chance by buying 12 bottles.
I also found some batch 3 at a couple of local stores for less than retail while it was online at $600.00 a bottle. I bought 6 of these. Lucky me.
If they don't go up in value, I'll drink every last one of these and enjoy a great whisky.
On another note I found a bunch of batch 7 at the airport but could not buy any because I was just coming home from Vegas, I'll need to figure out a way around that if possble.
Maybe have to go to Mexico thru Vegas and then home to Minnesota?
Old 12-05-2013, 07:40 AM

[once again]: Oscar, you lucky!!

Last edited by Islay Peat; 12-20-2013 at 07:48 AM. Reason: cleaned up
Old 12-05-2013, 04:13 PM

Deja Vu with a little luck lately on Scotch!!!
But I didn't win crap in Vegas.
Old 12-06-2013, 11:40 PM

Summitdog or Oscar, care to review batch 9 for all of us? I have yet to crack open my batch 6 and haven't been so lucky to find batch 9, but I would love to hear how batch 9 stacks up to batch 3 (best scotch I have yet to enjoy in my humble opinion).
Old 12-07-2013, 08:07 AM

1401 Batch 3: the "sine-qua-non" of ALL Balvenies thus far...[slapping forehead]: "mother goddam, why didn't I get it when it first came out?!!"
Old 12-07-2013, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doubleplay8 View Post
Summitdog or Oscar, care to review batch 9 for all of us? I have yet to crack open my batch 6 and haven't been so lucky to find batch 9, but I would love to hear how batch 9 stacks up to batch 3 (best scotch I have yet to enjoy in my humble opinion).
I would love to do a review but it would be my first. I have not opened a bottle of any TUN 1401 yet as I am trying to expand my tasting experience first. I don't know if I am worthy of a bottle of this yet.
I have only been at this Scotch whisky thing for a little over a year now.

I have been turning around from the Islay (which I started out with) towards the more tamed Balvenie style. I have been enjoying very much a few bottles of the 15 year lately so I may soon be up to the task of a review. I may start with the 21 year and then go on to the TUN's.

Oscar, who can't get his mind off all that batch 7 at the airport.
Old 12-07-2013, 05:22 PM

Just drink one Oscar. If you managed to find not just one but a case someone found you worthy. I tried the Balvenie 15 year last night and it was amazing. I love the 12 yr doublewood but the 15 is its older more experienced sister. Just much smoother and fuller flavor and finish for me. Also tried the Macallan 18 and liked it but don't think it would be on my must purchase list.
Old 12-08-2013, 04:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by speyslider View Post
Just drink one Oscar. If you managed to find not just one but a case someone found you worthy. I tried the Balvenie 15 year last night and it was amazing. I love the 12 yr doublewood but the 15 is its older more experienced sister. Just much smoother and fuller flavor and finish for me. Also tried the Macallan 18 and liked it but don't think it would be on my must purchase list.
I agree and find that if I let a glass of the balvenie 15 sit for a half hour it will become incredible on the nose. Angle food cake, vanilla frosting, almonds, Christmas desert in a glass.
I did happen to pull a bottle of the Tun1401 batch 9 from the safe and transferred it
to the kitchen cabinet and was busted by the fun police (wife). wife says your not going to drink that $250.00 a bottles stuff are you?
No dear, I have not had any of that yet. (I'm not lying at this point)
I plan on opening a bottle of the batch 9 as soon as my nose opens. I take Alegra every day and it makes a huge difference. Just have to wait until it right.
My fear is that if it is that flippin good, how do I go back to what I thought was good (and affordable)
Old 12-08-2013, 06:07 PM

You'll just have to assign it special event only status. The only problem will be in not making everything into a special event. " Oh the mail arrived on time", Oh it's 57 degrees in December".
Old 12-23-2013, 06:58 PM

Default Transit through LAX Duty Free - BINGO!!

Last October while transit through LAX on a red eye to the Far East, the Duty Free store was selling Balvenie 21 on a special sale for $150, but by the time I saw this, the store had already closed!! Fast forward to my December trip, went to the same Duty Free store, not one bottle of Balvenie 21 in sight, what they have on display did not interest me.... Asked the lady working there, that's all the Balvenie you have in stock?? She went through her list, and said "We have one bottle of Balvenie Tun 1401 Batch 7 left in the back."........ "I WILL TAKE IT!!" Touchdown!! $255 duty free...
Unfortunately, this will be my last trip for awhile.....
Old 12-23-2013, 11:01 PM

Makes me want to buy a cheap flight just to check out duty free
Old 12-23-2013, 11:44 PM

Bobb I've been thinking the same thing. I can catch a flight to mexico and come back on a shuttle the same day and it would totally be worth it if I could get a bottle.
Old 01-18-2014, 04:28 AM

Default Total Wines & More

Mail order or call your nearest store to see if they have it on hand!!
http://www.totalwine.com/eng/categor...viewPerPage/96

$239.99!!
Old 01-18-2014, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oscarswanson View Post
I think it's hard to find because of what it is and how cheap it is.
You basicly have a 35 year old +/- whisky put togther by one of the greats at a little over $200.00.
Online stores have people watching for it and buy it on the spot whereas they used to wait for some reviews first before dropping the cash down on the 1st few batches.
I didn't wait for those reviews for batch 9 and took a chance by buying 12 bottles.
I also found some batch 3 at a couple of local stores for less than retail while it was online at $600.00 a bottle. I bought 6 of these. Lucky me.
If they don't go up in value, I'll drink every last one of these and enjoy a great whisky.
On another note I found a bunch of batch 7 at the airport but could not buy any because I was just coming home from Vegas, I'll need to figure out a way around that if possble.
Maybe have to go to Mexico thru Vegas and then home to Minnesota?
Where in Minn do you live. Are Batch 3 and 6 still available?
Old 01-22-2014, 04:36 PM
ClubWhisky.com Member

Tun 1401 is one that will probably elude me. It can't be bought in my home state of NC. My sister in SC is trying to locate some for me, but so far without success. Apparently, the increased interest in single malts that I read about has not happened in my neck of the woods.
Old 01-23-2014, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by john_b View Post
Tun 1401 is one that will probably elude me. It can't be bought in my home state of NC. My sister in SC is trying to locate some for me, but so far without success. Apparently, the increased interest in single malts that I read about has not happened in my neck of the woods.
Ask her to check with Total Wine & More local store, or order on line via total wine.com. The Florida Total Wine stores have Balvenie Tun 1401 Batch 9 in stock....
Old 01-25-2014, 03:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by john_b View Post
Also try frugal macdogal in Fort Mill,SC close to carrowinds. they carry alot of special release.
Old 01-30-2014, 07:38 PM

Sighted a couple of these in California awhile back as in around November. But Total Wine here hasn't gotten anything afaik. Sucks that batch 9 seems hard to get. I do know of a store that has it, but I'm not inclined to fork over $500 for it.
Old 01-31-2014, 12:35 AM

Wow, over $500?? Total Wine & More have Batch 9 in Florida for $239.99. In their Millinium Store in Orlando, the manager told me they have 6 cases, but selling out fast.....
Old 01-31-2014, 02:12 PM

6 cases is only 18 bottles
Old 01-31-2014, 05:23 PM

Total Wine & More have many stores in Florida. The store on Colonial in Orlando already sold out their share of the stock. I believe South Florida most probably have more than Central Florida. But at a fair price tag of $239.99 its not bad.
Old 02-01-2014, 02:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcodragon View Post
Total Wine & More have many stores in Florida. The store on Colonial in Orlando already sold out their share of the stock. I believe South Florida most probably have more than Central Florida. But at a fair price tag of $239.99 its not bad.
The thing that's terrible about total wine is that you can't order from a total wine across the country and have it shipped to your local one. I've tried. Doesn't work.
Old 02-01-2014, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by masterj View Post
The thing that's terrible about total wine is that you can't order from a total wine across the country and have it shipped to your local one. I've tried. Doesn't work.
You are correct! I checked their web site, they only ship wines and accessories to certain States, no spirits(pick up only).