ClubWhisky.com Forum - Questions About Whisky  

Go Back   ClubWhisky.com Forum - Questions About Whisky > All About Whisky! > Single Malt Scotch Whisky

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 12-17-2014, 03:59 PM
oscarswanson's Avatar
oscarswanson oscarswanson is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 142
Default Burnt plastic flavored whisky

I have a bottle of Balvenie 21 year finished in port casks/pipes.
This is my first bottle of this but have had many other Balvenie whisky's that I loved.
This bottle has a very strong burnt plastic taste and was wondering what caused this.
I tried reading up on it but not much info on Google.
Is it sulfur form the casks? maybe what they used to clean them?
I'm at a loss. I really just can't stomach this taste.
I also noticed this to a much lesser degree in a bottle of 21 year Aberfeldy.
Maybe it's me and am ultra sensitive to this?
Thanks for any input.
Oscar
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 12-17-2014, 04:12 PM
john_b's Avatar
john_b john_b is offline
ClubWhisky.com Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 187
Default

Oscar,

I've always heard sulfur taste described as either a rotten egg taste or like the smoke from a struck match. Not sure about burnt plastic. Having only had a few wine finished whiskies, I have personally not run into the sulfur taste, and from what I've read not everyone can detect the sulfur.

Something definitely off with the 21 you have, though. I've had a bottle of Portwood 21, and never tasted anything remotely close to being burned. I wonder if the bottle has been exposed to excessive heat, maybe during shipment at some point?

Sorry I'm not more help.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 12-17-2014, 04:40 PM
oscarswanson's Avatar
oscarswanson oscarswanson is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 142
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by john_b View Post
Oscar,

I've always heard sulfur taste described as either a rotten egg taste or like the smoke from a struck match. Not sure about burnt plastic. Having only had a few wine finished whiskies, I have personally not run into the sulfur taste, and from what I've read not everyone can detect the sulfur.

Something definitely off with the 21 you have, though. I've had a bottle of Portwood 21, and never tasted anything remotely close to being burned. I wonder if the bottle has been exposed to excessive heat, maybe during shipment at some point?

Sorry I'm not more help.
Not rotten egg here.
Just a horrible taste of burnt plastic.
I can't imagine what would have caused this.
The bottle was in the box so I don't think it was sitting in the sunlight if that could even have caused this.
Maybe have to try the Boxcar method and mix it with some Ardbeg?
What a waste of money.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 12-17-2014, 11:18 PM
john_b's Avatar
john_b john_b is offline
ClubWhisky.com Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 187
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by oscarswanson View Post
Not rotten egg here.
Just a horrible taste of burnt plastic.
I can't imagine what would have caused this.
The bottle was in the box so I don't think it was sitting in the sunlight if that could even have caused this.
Maybe have to try the Boxcar method and mix it with some Ardbeg?
What a waste of money.
Did you buy it locally? If so, I would consider taking it back to the store and asking them to taste it. Who knows, maybe the store will swap for another bottle. The burned plastic taste you're describing makes me think something is wrong with the bottle you have. Even if not exposed to sun, if the bottle has been excessively heated (too long on a truck, for example), it could have been tainted.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 12-17-2014, 11:39 PM
Islay Peat's Avatar
Islay Peat Islay Peat is offline
ClubWhisky.com Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Alaska
Posts: 949
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by john_b View Post
Did you buy it locally? If so, I would consider taking it back to the store and asking them to taste it. Who knows, maybe the store will swap for another bottle. The burned plastic taste you're describing makes me think something is wrong with the bottle you have. Even if not exposed to sun, if the bottle has been excessively heated (too long on a truck, for example), it could have been tainted.
I like this idea too.

I've also got a bottle of Portwood 21 and oddly enough, while it's the most expensive Balvenie I have, it's the one I feel least like buying again.

I highly recommend their 15, 16 and 17 year options!
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 12-18-2014, 12:29 AM
oscarswanson's Avatar
oscarswanson oscarswanson is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 142
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islay Peat View Post
I like this idea too.

I've also got a bottle of Portwood 21 and oddly enough, while it's the most expensive Balvenie I have, it's the one I feel least like buying again.

I highly recommend their 15, 16 and 17 year options!
I agree that the 15 single barrel is outstanding peat. I have more bottles than I can count and plan to get more as it's still on sale at morelli's marked in St. Paul for $59.97. Balvenie doublewood 12 at 29.99. Lagavulin 16 at $62.97. And on and on. God I love that place.

As far as the 21 year old, I think it is a good idea to take it back to see what they will do for me.
It really is that bad. Yuck.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 12-18-2014, 03:33 AM
Islay Peat's Avatar
Islay Peat Islay Peat is offline
ClubWhisky.com Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Alaska
Posts: 949
Default

That's a great place to shop - wish there were more of them!
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 12-18-2014, 09:00 AM
BoxcarBill's Avatar
BoxcarBill BoxcarBill is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Idaho
Posts: 412
Default

°Ay Chihuahua!
That's cheap...

I can't drink my Nadurra. It's totally depressing, and Ardbeg 10 mixed in only ruins the Ardbeg 10.
What's the sales tax at Morelli's?

Last edited by BoxcarBill; 12-18-2014 at 09:06 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 12-18-2014, 01:43 PM
oscarswanson's Avatar
oscarswanson oscarswanson is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 142
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxcarBill View Post
°Ay Chihuahua!
That's cheap...

I can't drink my Nadurra. It's totally depressing, and Ardbeg 10 mixed in only ruins the Ardbeg 10.
What's the sales tax at Morelli's?
Boxcar,
I don't exactly but it is very close to 10 percent tax on Booze.

You know I remember the day when there was NO sale tax. Then I think it was 2 then 3 percent. Now the sky's the limit.

This has been out of control for decades.
Oscar, Who is showing his age.

Last edited by Islay Peat; 12-18-2014 at 07:41 PM. Reason: staying on topic... :)
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 12-19-2014, 06:09 AM
BoxcarBill's Avatar
BoxcarBill BoxcarBill is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Idaho
Posts: 412
Default

Still a steal with 10% tax.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 12-19-2014, 02:09 PM
shulaw05's Avatar
shulaw05 shulaw05 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Illinois
Posts: 13
Default

hey oscar, i live at the illinois/wisconsin border next to the lake. i have an open bottle of balvenie 21 and don't notice any of these problems you mentioned either. if you ever come down this way i'm happy to let you take a sample of mine to compare
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 12-28-2014, 05:29 PM
oscarswanson's Avatar
oscarswanson oscarswanson is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 142
Default

Appreciate that shulaw05 but I'll be in for the winter except the vacations in the southern Caribbean this winter.
I think I need to move from this frozen tundra. I have no use for it anymore.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Atom Brands Scoops 15 Golds And Four Master Medals In The Whisky Masters Series Jojo Single Malt Scotch Whisky 4 09-12-2018 10:50 PM
Hop Flavored Whisky Ratman Single Malt Scotch Whisky 4 08-10-2013 12:39 AM
Rare Malt Mill Whisky In Old White Horse Whisky & Some of the Finest Lagavulin Hawaiijej Whisky Blends 0 05-07-2012 11:57 AM
Australian Malt Whisky - Australasia Malt Whisky Night Dale Single Malt Scotch Whisky 2 09-27-2011 04:11 AM
Universal Whisky Experience Presents The Nth 2011 Show in Las Vegas! Jojo Single Malt Scotch Whisky 1 02-11-2011 07:21 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 07:31 AM.


Whisky.com Home | History of Whisky | Distillery Directory | Tours | Calendar of Events | Gift Shop | Contact Us