ClubWhisky.com Forum - Questions About Whisky  

Go Back   ClubWhisky.com Forum - Questions About Whisky > All About Whisky! > Bourbons, Canadian, Tennessee, Collectibles and more...

Old 01-08-2009, 09:23 PM
RebeccaJ

Default White Horse Paper Mache Horse figure

I hope it is okay to post this question here. I am attaching some pictures of a large paper mache horse that I purchased in an antique store today. The horse is 23 inches from hoof to top of the ear and 23 inches from nose to tail. It is standing on a platform that is about 2 inches tall and says "White Horse 1742". The platform is in really poor condition and I had intended to take the horse off of the platform to display it. I decided to do a little web research first and make sure that my new horse isn't the "holy grail" of whiskey collectibles in. (a girl can dream, right? ha ha) The horse itself has a lot of nicks and missing paint. I did a google search and found a smaller version of this horse in Australia and though there wasn't a picture, there is supposedly a large "White Horse Whiskey" horse figure in the White Horse Bar in NYC.

The couple that owns the antique store told me that it belonged to George Hamilton IV who is a member of the Grand Ole Opry. (I'm in the Nashville area) That is the only information they had about its history.

If anyone could help me figure out an age and approximate value for this horse, I would appreciate it. I don't want to remove the platform if it is worth something. Thank you in advance for any information you can share with me!

Rebecca

Old 01-16-2009, 04:13 AM
ClubWhisky.com Admin

Hey there Rebecca - We'll see what background info we can get for you. However as for a valuation, contact either McTear's or Bonham's. mctears.com or bonhams.com BTW, this horse is very cool, I love it!
Old 01-16-2009, 05:08 PM
ClubWhisky.com Admin

Default White Horse

Rebecca - as you already know, here is the information from Diageo - we are posting for all to see!

Rebecca, The White Horse figure has come in different sizes and materials over the years and those that are as large as the own and have purchased are quite rare. That particular design of figures was in use for many years ranging from the 1920s to the 1940s. So, your horse could date back to the 1920s although it's difficult to say for sure. We suggest you contact BBR Auctions for a valuation - onlinebbr.com " ~ Diageo Archive Department