ClubWhisky.com Forum - Questions About Whisky  

Go Back   ClubWhisky.com Forum - Questions About Whisky > All About Whisky! > Single Malt Scotch Whisky

Old 01-11-2013, 02:40 AM
oldtiger

Default Balvenie

Had a chance to try Balvenie 14 Carribbean and really liked it. Also had a chance to try a dram of 21 Balvenie ( wish i could afford the 21 as my everyday Scotch but too expensive.
Now what other scotches should I try that have these type of citrus and floral taste profiles. Thanks guys.
Old 01-11-2013, 03:15 AM
Administrator & Owner ClubWhisky.com

For around $50 try Tomintoul 16. I would like to know what you think. They also have a Tomintoul 14 available in Canada that I also enjoy.

http://www.whisky.com/brands/tomintoul_brand.html
Old 01-11-2013, 03:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtiger View Post
Had a chance to try Balvenie 14 Carribbean and really liked it. Also had a chance to try a dram of 21 Balvenie ( wish i could afford the 21 as my everyday Scotch but too expensive.
Now what other scotches should I try that have these type of citrus and floral taste profiles. Thanks guys.
spinaker 12 yr
Balblair 1991 vintage
Balblair 2000 vintage
Glenfarclas 17yr +
Glendronach 15 yr revival or Allardice
BenRiach 12 yr Tawny port/ or Pedro Ximenz

the Balblair's are more of the floral citrus type single malts and the Spinaker is more of a honey/ spicey malt but the Glenfarclas,Glendronach, and Benriach are all finished in some sort of sherry wether it be Spanish Oloroso or Pedro Ximenez. You get more of that sweet long lasting finish from the Sherry which isn't quiet as savory as the port but works awfully well for Single malts
Old 02-14-2013, 01:30 AM

Well, you need to try the REST of the Balvenie expressions.

Seriously, the 12yr Doublewood is fantastic, as is the 10yr Founders Reserve and 12yr Signature, not to mention the 15yr Single Barrel.
Old 03-20-2013, 12:01 PM

Have the 14yr Roasted Malt which is seriously good. I'll definately try the Doublewood next. Great brand it looks like.
Old 03-21-2013, 12:40 AM

The 12yr Doublewood is ok, it's a pretty basic entry level malt and the one I first started drinking when I got into whisky.

For the price point it's very good, but in the wider scheme of things......the 12yr Signature offers much more complexity and is all round a much better dram (and around the same price).

If you're doing Doublewood go for the 17yr old one, that is quite stunning. Balvenie works well with a little more age.

The 21yr Portwood is one of my go to everyday's, their whole range is serious stuff.
Old 03-23-2013, 03:15 AM

The Glendronach 15 yr revival is extremely good. I bought the 12 year to compare but it wasn't even close.
The balvenie double wood is good but light to me, I can get it at couple different places for $30.00 which is a steal.
I have been trying the balvenie 15 year single cask recently and like very much but I read that each cask is a little different and some are excellent and some are just good. We'll see.
Also picked up a 12 single cask (new product) but have not had time to evaluate.

Tags
balvenie - portwood, balvenie 14, tomintoul