ClubWhisky.com Forum - Questions About Whisky  

Go Back   ClubWhisky.com Forum - Questions About Whisky > All About Whisky! > Single Malt Scotch Whisky

Old 03-01-2013, 10:15 PM

Default Different Glenmorangies

I just picked up a bottle of the 10 as a baseline before I got into their other varieties. I've read good things about the Nectar, and I have a friend/coworker who says the Finealta is his favorite scotch (I'm partial to things that could be a peat or sherry "monster"...such as Laph QC or A'bunadh). Anyway, with all their different varieties I was looking for some input regarding which to try next, or which to avoid.

My take on the 10 is that it kind of reminds me of the 'fiddich 12 - very smooth and approachable, a lot of lighter fruit flavors, but nothing really memorable or remarkable, just a pleasant enough drink.
Old 03-02-2013, 04:05 AM

Default Nectar D'or

I've been to a couple Glenmorangie tastings so I've tried just about all of their expressions and I have to say the Nectar D'or is my favorite. I bought a bottle of it the other day and it's disappearing fast. The 18-year-old is also excellent but a bit out of my price range. I wasn't overly thrilled with the Quinta Ruban or the Lasanta but that's just my personal taste. The Nectar D'or is absolutely delicous.
Old 03-02-2013, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcp21 View Post
I've been to a couple Glenmorangie tastings so I've tried just about all of their expressions and I have to say the Nectar D'or is my favorite. I bought a bottle of it the other day and it's disappearing fast. The 18-year-old is also excellent but a bit out of my price range. I wasn't overly thrilled with the Quinta Ruban or the Lasanta but that's just my personal taste. The Nectar D'or is absolutely delicous.
+1 on the Nectar D'Or - excellent!
Old 03-20-2013, 11:34 AM

Great brand to sample. I've started many friends with it the same way with their 10 yr old to start. My favorite is Sonnalta PX. Tone of sherry flavor so complex. I'm going to try the 25yr next. However I have the 18 yr extremely old and was disappointed with.
Old 04-12-2013, 03:21 PM

Recently tried the Lasanta and think it's terrific! A teaspoon of water only and have savored a fabulous lingering finish.

Question: In view of the fact that the process for all three of the 12 year varieties is the same, i.e., 10 years of maturation in oak followed by two years finish in in casks of sherry (Lasanta), or port (Quinta Ruban) or sauterne (Nectar d'Or), why is there such disparity in price between the first two and the Nectar d'Or? At the TW&L I frequent, the Lasanta and the QR each go for $46 while the Nd'O jumps to a whopping (comparatively) $80. Michael Jackson's tome on single malts rates the Lasanta and the QR at 86 apiece, and scores the Nd'O at just a point more at 87. Are the French charging much extra for their sauterne casks or is there something else at work here on the part of Glenmorangie?
Old 04-16-2013, 05:40 AM

Good wood and expensive (labour intensive and limited production) wine.

Spent sauternes casks are about 10 times more expensive than spent bourbon casks.
Old 04-17-2013, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by opelfruit View Post
Good wood and expensive (labour intensive and limited production) wine.

Spent sauternes casks are about 10 times more expensive than spent bourbon casks.
Yes, but spent bourbon casks are used in all 3 varieties listed in my post. It's during the last two years (of the 12 total) that the casks are changed, i.e., sherry for the Lasanta, port for the QR, and sauterne for the Nd'Or. Are you saying that the sauterne casks from France are that much more pricey than the Spanish sherry or the Portugal port ones?
Old 04-17-2013, 10:36 PM

I dont know the ratio but Sauternes costs a lot to make (time and money wise) and is very bloody expenisve. The casks cost a lot too.

Ultimately, stick whisky in a run of the mill sherry or wine casks, or stick it in Gonzalez Byass or Lafite casks......you know which whisky is going to end up more expensive right

Tags
glenmorangie