ClubWhisky.com Forum - Questions About Whisky  

Go Back   ClubWhisky.com Forum - Questions About Whisky > All About Whisky! > Single Malt Scotch Whisky

Old 05-17-2013, 04:51 AM
ClubWhisky.com Moderator

Default Japanese Blended Whisky Thread

Been wanting to start a thread on Japanese whisky for a while now and finally decided to just post a couple pictures to get things started.

This thread is for the blends, which includes the WWA 2012 winner Taketsuru 17, in addition to the rest of the Taketsuru lineup, 12, 17 non-chill filtered, 21, 25 and the already sold out 35.

Another great Japanese blend comes with the Hibiki lineup, of which I'm a big fan of the 12, although the 17 is good too.

Here's just a starter pic, that unfortunately has some single malts in it too, but I'll change that as soon as possible.

Old 05-18-2013, 01:40 PM

Currently finishing up a bottle of Taketsuru 21 yr. Seriously legendary stuff. Hope to find another bottle locally to restock it.
Old 05-18-2013, 08:37 PM
ClubWhisky.com Moderator

Got a small bottle of the Taketsuru 21 for my friends birthday - we both like them all, but I prefer the 17, he likes the 21 and 35.

Old 05-21-2013, 08:20 PM

I just saw Hibiki 12 in a local shop, the first time I've ever seen it. How would you describe the flavor, is there anything you can compare it to? I think it was $57, I may give it a go...
Old 05-21-2013, 08:44 PM
ClubWhisky.com Moderator

That's a good price and I can tell you that when I tried it and the 17, my preference went with the 12 - less money, better for my palate, what's not to like?

A friend bought a bottle of Hibiki 17 while in Japan and when I told him I liked the 12 better, he got a bottle of it to bring back with him. Got a message from a mutual friend who he shared it with and he said it's his new hands-down favorite of any whisky he's ever had.

I'm not good with the descriptions, and it was back in December so all I can say is that I enjoyed the small bottle of 17 I bought, and liked the 12 better, though I only had one glass of it at the distillery.

I should say that it is very smooth and if I recall had a nice finish - been partially aged in plum wine casks.

Last edited by Islay Peat; 05-21-2013 at 08:50 PM.
Old 05-21-2013, 09:22 PM

Thanks Peat, I think I will give it a shot. I have not tried a Japanese whisky before, but I have heard nothing but good things about them.
Old 05-21-2013, 09:25 PM

From Malt Advocate, Hibiki 12 with a score of 88:
Well-rounded, solid malt backbone, and very drinkable. These are the main characteristics of this impressive blend. Honeysuckle, vanilla-coated malt and fruit (pineapple upside down cake, lemon tart, plum, bramble) are the primary flavors. Ripe barley, marzipan, beeswax, and clove round out the palate. Gentle, soothing finish. Suntory can make a 12 year old blend this good with just two malt distilleries? Scotland, are you taking notice?
(Vol. 18, #3) Reviewed by: John Hansell

Sounds very interesting!
Old 05-21-2013, 09:29 PM
ClubWhisky.com Moderator

These reviews confuse the heck out of me - I couldn't taste any fruits whatsoever, but did think it tasted like a very smooth whisky.

Make sure and come back here when you do your own review of it.
Old 05-21-2013, 09:44 PM

I always think the same thing about reviews: Where did they come up with that? I just watched Ralfy's review of the Hibiki 12 on youtube, and I find I tend to agree with his assessments on most whiskies I've compared to his reviews. He does mention the sweet and fruity notes to both the nose and taste. He says the flavor says quality from start to finish, and it is very well-presented. He grades it 88/100, knocking off 3 points for added caramel color and chill-filtering.

I'm excited to try it, I will post my notes when I do!
Old 07-19-2013, 03:16 AM
ClubWhisky.com Moderator

Okay, I just picked up a bottle of 12, or Hibiki 12, both from the label on the bottle and yes, this is a special drink indeed.

Very sweet and pleasant nose on this and very rounded smoky presence in the flavour. Finish in the nose is short, but carries a lasting warmth and leaves the tongue with an enjoyable memory accompanied by no regret.

Old 07-19-2013, 04:59 AM

I Love Hibiki. Gone though 2 bottles in the last 13 months. Another good one is Nikka from the Barrel. So easy to drink.
Old 07-19-2013, 10:20 AM
ClubWhisky.com Moderator

This is absolutely addictively good and am glad to find that my first impression where I preferred it over the Hibiki 17 was accurate.

Now on your recommendation I'll have to try the Nikka from the Barrel next time I get a chance.
Old 07-19-2013, 08:25 PM

I still need to pick a bottle of this up! Thanks for the write-up Peat.
Old 07-20-2013, 09:06 AM
ClubWhisky.com Moderator

One of my friends went to Japan and after trying as many whiskies as he could, chose the Hibiki 12 to bring back with him.

Wonderful stuff, as is the Yamazaki 12, but then that's a single malt...
Old 07-21-2013, 07:07 AM

The Hibiki 12 although soft and only just into medium bodied has a rich, creamy oak/vanilla flavor with some mild spice. Silky smooth, very easy sipping indeed.

Last edited by BoxcarBill; 07-22-2013 at 05:59 AM.
Old 08-01-2013, 01:30 AM

Picked up a gift set box from whisky exchange.

Its a really nice set and glass. Its mainly a display piece for me though. Its very small, a 50cl bottle and I can go though that very quick once i crack it open.
Old 08-01-2013, 04:40 AM
ClubWhisky.com Moderator

Nice display and if you like the contents you can get it through Total Wines for a decent price.
Old 08-01-2013, 04:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islay Peat View Post
Nice display and if you like the contents you can get it through Total Wines for a decent price.
yeah they have great price but the total wine or any other store in the New Mexico don't carry Japanese whiskys. Guy at Total wine told me the other day that the disturbers don't think they can move it in New Mexico and have no plans to bring it to NM for now(but total wine has only been in the state since March, so thing could change). So I am stuck ordering it online or having friends and family bring me bottle up from Texas, which they do cause they friends and family. I love it.
Old 08-01-2013, 04:57 AM
ClubWhisky.com Moderator

That really sucks, but if they've got it available in the store chain then they should be able to get a bottle for you from one of the other stores.

They've also got the Yamazaki 12, which is a great whisky and a bargain too. If you're interested in Japanese whiskies, pass on the Taketsuru 12 they have, but definitely go for the Yamazaki 12, Hibiki 12 and Hakushu 12.
I like the Hakushu 10 better, but it was discontinued in February and replaced by the 12, which is still good, and shows the unique Hakushu flavor profile.
Old 08-01-2013, 05:06 AM

Thanks for the recommendations.Only other one I have had besides the Hibiki is the Nikka from Barrel and I thought its was great. For a cask strength whisky, it didn't really need water but was still very drinkable neat, and very favorable. So looking to try more Japanese whiskys for sure.

Anyone had Taiwan whiskys? I been dying to try Kavalan Solist.
Old 09-21-2013, 09:18 PM

Picked up a bottle of Hibiki 12 last week to bring to a scotch and cigar night. Polished it off between me and two friends, everyone thought it was an exceptional whisky. Very smooth, with a beautiful vanilla and fruity nose that matched the flavors. This has made my short list of favorites, and is the nicest blend i have had yet. For the price of $57 at my local, this will be a staple in my cabinet.

I am going to the NYC Whiskyfest next month, looking forward to the Hibiki table, and hope to try some of their other expressions.
Old 09-21-2013, 10:48 PM

Make sure you make it a priority to get your nose stuck into a glass of Hibiki 21. Blend shmend, it's one of the best whiskies I've had full stop. Single malt or not. Every time I open my bottle I don't know if to drink it or wear it as cologne - it's simple a beautiful work of art.

The 17 and 21 are of different DNA to the 12 though, totally different whisky.
Old 09-22-2013, 04:19 AM
ClubWhisky.com Moderator

Good to see the Hibiki getting some much deserved notice and I'll be trying the 21 and 30 next time around just for the experience.

Hopefully you guys get a chance to try Nikka's Taketsuru 17 or higher, although unfortunately the Nikka products are very overpriced here.

I'm 100% with you guys on not caring if it's a blend or not; I just care if it tastes good and the Hibiki 12 is magic on both the nose and palate.
Old 10-05-2013, 10:17 PM

Got two bottles of Hibiki 12yrs online for 46$ each with shipping. Score.

Last edited by Ratman; 10-09-2013 at 05:49 AM.
Old 10-09-2013, 05:28 AM
ClubWhisky.com Moderator

Now I'm going to have to have a sip tonight to celebrate for you. Post up when it arrives!
Old 10-09-2013, 05:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islay Peat View Post
Now I'm going to have to have a sip tonight to celebrate for you. Post up when it arrives!

Oh I got them on Sat and already dipped into one. . I was gonna post the site that I got them from incase someone might want to order some but wasn't sure of the rules here about that. But they still have it list on there site for 38.99. It came out to 93$(sorry just saw I forgot to put 46 EACH on my other post) with shipping for both bottle. So thats a deal to me. If anyone wants the site, just Message me and I will lead to it. Its out of Cali, and ships to most states but some states won't allow shipping of liquor.

Last edited by Ratman; 10-09-2013 at 05:51 AM.
Old 11-25-2013, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by opelfruit View Post
Make sure you make it a priority to get your nose stuck into a glass of Hibiki 21. Blend shmend, it's one of the best whiskies I've had full stop.
Can't agree with this more. Went on a tour of the Yamasaki distillery and finished it off with tasting of about eight Scottish and Japanese whiskies all of which were 10 or 12 year and Hibiki 21. The Hibiki was in a completely different league - unfortunately also in a different price bracket.
Old 10-28-2014, 01:01 AM

Sorry to bring back an old thread, but I am looking for information on a bottle of Suntory I was recently given. It says "Suntory Reserve" a rare blend of specially reserved whiskies. Black bottle, black label, with the #70 imprinted in the glass in the back of the bottle. There is a good american serviceman story that came along with this bottle and I am just looking for a little more info. From what I found, it could of been made between 1969 and 1972, but that is it. Any help would be great. THANKS
Old 10-28-2014, 09:04 AM
ClubWhisky.com Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forestguy View Post
Sorry to bring back an old thread, but I am looking for information on a bottle of Suntory I was recently given. It says "Suntory Reserve" a rare blend of specially reserved whiskies. Black bottle, black label, with the #70 imprinted in the glass in the back of the bottle. There is a good american serviceman story that came along with this bottle and I am just looking for a little more info. From what I found, it could of been made between 1969 and 1972, but that is it. Any help would be great. THANKS
Post up a couple pics and you'll get some help on it. If I recall correctly it's not a really special whisky but still interesting if you can get the information you're after.
Old 11-08-2014, 07:45 PM

Default Hibiki 21

Bought the hibiki 21 year old a few days ago. Was just there on the shelf next to the 12 and 17 year olds. Has anyone tried it? How does it compare with the 12 and 17? Shall i open it or do you think is better to get a taste of the younger ones first? Never had japanese whisky before...

Last edited by Islay Peat; 11-09-2014 at 07:16 PM.
Old 11-09-2014, 07:15 PM
ClubWhisky.com Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by drakoskl View Post
Bought the Hibiki 21 year old a few days ago. Was just there on the shelf next to the 12 and 17 year olds. Has anyone tried it? How does it compare with the 12 and 17? Shall i open it or do you think is better to get a taste of the younger ones first? Never had Japanese whisky before...

It's been a couple years since I tried the 21 and I'm curious to give it another try, but if you like older whiskies then you'll probably like this one too.

Most of the time I like 10-12 best, but in the case of the Hibiki liked the 12 and 17 both.
Old 12-10-2014, 09:42 PM

Default Yamazaki distiller's reserve

Did you guys tried this one? I am about to buy a few bottles and i am wondering if they are worth it espesially for the price of 42 euro per bottle.
Old 12-12-2014, 09:28 AM
ClubWhisky.com Moderator

I haven't but I'd be surprised if it's not good. Be sure and let us know how it compares with the regular Yamazaki 12.
Old 12-12-2014, 07:09 PM

Default Yamazaki distiller's reserve

This whisky is a very nice suprise to me. I have the bottle next to me and i keep on drinking ,from the bottle. Tastes like a much more expensive whisky. Very smooth at the beginning , deep considering is a NAS. It leaves a little burn on the finish but i like it! Since this is my first japanese whisky i cannot compare it with older expressions of this distillery but is definetly better than the macallans i tasted 2 weeks ago (amber,sienna,ruby). I bougth 3 bottles , planning on keeping one for my collection but now...i dont know
Old 01-23-2015, 06:35 PM

I'm glad to have found this thread as I have recently been getting very interested in Japanese Whiskies. I spent a decent chunk of last year in Bourbons, so I am getting a bit of sticker shock when hunting Japanese Whiskies, but that just means I'm going to be drinking for quality than quantity.

I find Japanese whiskey to be very much reflective of the culture and food. The flavors are subtle, focused and refined and the heat is often very tame. Even "Nikka From The Barrel" only clocks in at just over 51% ABV, as compared to some 60-70% ABV Barrel proof scotches and bourbons in my bar. The Price:Proof ratio of Japanese whiskey is a challenge I will have to weigh as I dive deeper.

Here are some notes of my favorites:

Hibiki 12 - A very nice easy to drink bottle as it should be @ 43% ABV. I think this is a perfect starting point for those who are new to whiskey in general and more specifically Japanese. I keep a bottle of this on hand as many of my friends new to whiskey gravitate towards it. Its fruity and floral and an all around easy sipper.

Hibiki 21 - As Opelfruit mentioned, the nose on this one is fantastic and nosing it from anything but of a Glencarin (or similar shaped vessel) is an injustice. OK, not really, but the nose is terrific. Taste wise, this whiskey is sweet, delicate, fresh, citrusy (which isn't a word, but I'll use it) with a nice viscous mouth feel. This is a very good whiskey, but there are LOTS of great whiskies at the $350 price point, so I won't likely own another one of these unless I go through duty free or the price drops.

Yamazaki 18 - Putting things into perspective, I'd rather own 2 of these than 1 Hibiki 21. I finished a bottle of this with a friend on NYE, so I went out the following week and purchased another. I really do like this bottle, and wish I could get it for closer to the $150 price, but it seems to be gradually creeping up to the $200 level.

I've had a few other less memorable bottles that turned me off of the category all together. I'm happy to have found a few that make me want to dive deeper.
Old 11-04-2015, 04:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiggity_3.1 View Post
I'm glad to have found this thread as I have recently been getting very interested in Japanese Whiskies. I spent a decent chunk of last year in Bourbons, so I am getting a bit of sticker shock when hunting Japanese Whiskies, but that just means I'm going to be drinking for quality than quantity.

I find Japanese whiskey to be very much reflective of the culture and food. The flavors are subtle, focused and refined and the heat is often very tame. Even "Nikka From The Barrel" only clocks in at just over 51% ABV, as compared to some 60-70% ABV Barrel proof scotches and bourbons in my bar. The Price:Proof ratio of Japanese whiskey is a challenge I will have to weigh as I dive deeper.

Here are some notes of my favorites:

Hibiki 12 - A very nice easy to drink bottle as it should be @ 43% ABV. I think this is a perfect starting point for those who are new to whiskey in general and more specifically Japanese. I keep a bottle of this on hand as many of my friends new to whiskey gravitate towards it. Its fruity and floral and an all around easy sipper.

Hibiki 21 - As Opelfruit mentioned, the nose on this one is fantastic and nosing it from anything but of a Glencarin (or similar shaped vessel) is an injustice. OK, not really, but the nose is terrific. Taste wise, this whiskey is sweet, delicate, fresh, citrusy (which isn't a word, but I'll use it) with a nice viscous mouth feel. This is a very good whiskey, but there are LOTS of great whiskies at the $350 price point, so I won't likely own another one of these unless I go through duty free or the price drops.

Yamazaki 18 - Putting things into perspective, I'd rather own 2 of these than 1 Hibiki 21. I finished a bottle of this with a friend on NYE, so I went out the following week and purchased another. I really do like this bottle, and wish I could get it for closer to the $150 price, but it seems to be gradually creeping up to the $200 level.

I've had a few other less memorable bottles that turned me off of the category all together. I'm happy to have found a few that make me want to dive deeper.
I live in Minnesota and all Japanese whisky has become almost impossible to find. I buy what I find which has recently been a few bottles of Hibiki 12 and a Yamazaki 18. The Harmony is plentiful.
is this a strategy the Japanese is using to reintroduce at much higher prices down the road or they actually going NAS whisky like a lot of scotch whisky distillers seem to be trying to do, ?
Old 01-27-2016, 04:16 PM

Default 2016 Yamazaki Sherry Cask

I am under the impression that this will be releasing on Feb. 1. Does anyone know who will be distributing this on the East Coast, i have found out that none are allocated to deliver to NJ. Does anyone know where it will be the best bet to pick up a bottle of this?

Tags
japanese whisky