ClubWhisky.com Forum - Questions About Whisky  

Go Back   ClubWhisky.com Forum - Questions About Whisky > All About Whisky! > Single Malt Scotch Whisky

Old 08-23-2013, 10:14 AM

Default Absolute favorite Scotch, bar none?

I have tried many different Scotch' and own/regularly taste more than 20 Scotch'. My problem now is that every new bottle I buy/taste it is similar to something I already have tasted. I am wondering what you guys like a lot. My collection ranges from Red Label all the way to 25 year single malts. I have yet to find a scotch that I don't like Islay highland speyside lowland campbletown blends all are fair game

My collection so far
Figured I'd throw out an update. Picked up several bottles since last update. From top left:

Chivas Regal 12/18, Ardbeg 10, Aberlour A'bunadh, Highland Park 12/18, Johnnie Walker Red/Black/Double Black/Green/Gold & Blue, The Balvenie 12 Doublewood & 14 Caribbean Cask, Macallan 12 & Directors Edition, Bowmore 12, Lagavulin 16, Glenlivet Nadurra, Glenlivet 18(80's bottling), Oban 18, Glenfarclas 25

Red Breast 12, Monarch of the Glen 15, Woodford Reserve, Bulleit, Wild Turkey Rye, Pappy Van Winkle 12, Russels Reserve 10, Jack Daniels, Gentleman Jack x2

From top left:
J&B, Trader Joes/Macallan 10 Year, Kirkland/Macallan 15/18 & 20 Sherry Oak, Everclear 190 Proof x2, Crown Royal, Southern Comfort, Yukon Jack, CC Citrus

Last edited by xounlistedxox; 12-06-2013 at 01:12 AM. Reason: Updating pic
Old 08-23-2013, 10:31 AM

My favorites are
Macallan 10, 12, 18 sherry oak
Aberlour abunah
Balvenie 15 year single cask
Ardbeg 10
Laphroaig 10
Octomore 10 year old as something rare and very different
Old 08-23-2013, 03:06 PM

Longmorn 33 YO, IB, 1971/2004, 53.5%
Old 08-23-2013, 08:12 PM

Ardbeg Corryvreckan is probably my fav to date but agree variety is the answer. I'm even enjoying my own blends now.
I was disappointed with HP 12 when I bought it 6 weeks back but thought it not so bad last night.
It's all good. Mood and expectation play a big part in what will hit your target at any given time.
Old 08-23-2013, 09:33 PM

I've got a bit of an obessive nature (when I say a bit, I mean a lot). So I try not to have too many bottles open at once or it get a bit stressed out. I tend to run with the below;
  • 1 Islay
  • 1 sweeter malt (Speyside etc)
  • 1 Japanese
  • 1 Bourbon

I find it gives me enough variation and options to fit pretty much any mood I may be in.

My favourite distilleries are Ardbeg and Balvenie, so as you can see there is a big difference in my taste profiles, which I why I find it hard to nail down 1 specific whisky I would chose over all others.

I must say Corryvrecken is a massive favourite of mine, as has been mentioned already above.

If I were to only ever have 1 whisky I'd probaby punt for a Yoichi 20 year old, my only problem is their batch variation.....

...there's is just too much good stuff out there.
Old 08-24-2013, 01:11 AM
ClubWhisky.com Member

Too early in the journey to name a favorite, but of those I've tried there are clearly a few frontrunners:

Balvenie Portwood 21
Ardbeg Corryvreckan
Glenmorangie Finealta
Old 08-24-2013, 03:05 AM
ClubWhisky.com Moderator

Just off the top of my head I'll make a short list as others have done.

Ardbeg Corryvreckan
Hibiki 12
Glenfiddich Special Old Reserve
Old 08-24-2013, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxcarBill View Post
It's all good.
I just realized "all" is all inclusive.
There is a minimum threshold, and Johnie Walker Black (although once a favorite many moons ago) is now below that minimum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by opelfruit View Post
My favourite distilleries are Ardbeg and Balvenie
Although I'm a relative greenhorn in the wonderful world of Scotch whisky, I easily recognized the top quality of these 2 you've mentioned.

Last edited by BoxcarBill; 08-24-2013 at 06:27 AM.
Old 08-25-2013, 12:40 AM

Looks like I'm going to have to try some balvenie and some ardbeg. I haven't had anything from these distilleries thus far.

My favorites from my collection and would consider a must have in any scotch collection are:

Johnnie Walker Gold, but only when it was imported by schieffelin & sommerset co. Much better than the diageo version out now.

Aberlour a'bunadh

The Macallan 12

Bowmore 12

I like my whisky with some bite & lots of distinct flavor character. Many of them are too similar and offer nothing to stand out from the rest. I love doing blind tastings to really see which ones I like. If you guys haven't done that you have to try it. You'll be amazed.
Old 08-25-2013, 04:00 AM

My must have on hand scotchs would be,

Aberlour abunah(but have to be slow with it cause not sold around me)
Hibiki 12(same as above)
Glenfiddich 15yr Solera
Glendronach Revival
Believne Caribbean Cask
Eagle Rare 10yr

Those would be the bottles that I like to always have on hand and replace them as fast I can when they run out.
Old 08-25-2013, 04:22 AM

I just picked up balvenie double wood 12. It reminds me very much of Macallan 12, but with a little more bite. Very good, but too similar to Macallan to be it's own stand alone single malt. I will try it periodically to see if it changes
Old 08-25-2013, 05:04 AM

The DoubleWood is the whisky that first got me into single malts. It's a nice, safe bet, malt but wont do much to light up your life.

Much better introduction to Balvenie would be the 12yr Signature or 15yr Single Cask.

Even though the DoubleWood and Signature are both 12yrs, don't be fooled; the Signature is a different world of complexity and balance. Although I'd still put the Sig and DW as entry level malts for Balvenie, there is a big gap between them.

.......once Balvenie hits 17yrs it starts to become masterful, it's the perfect age for it. Just a shame that so much of their amazing stuff is now discontinued.
Old 08-25-2013, 05:32 AM

Quote:
The DoubleWood is the whisky that first got me into single malts. It's a nice, safe bet, malt but wont do much to light up your life.

Much better introduction to Balvenie would be the 12yr Signature or 15yr Single Cask.

Even though the DoubleWood and Signature are both 12yrs, don't be fooled; the Signature is a different world of complexity and balance. Although I'd still put the Sig and DW as entry level malts for Balvenie, there is a big gap between them.

.......once Balvenie hits 17yrs it starts to become masterful, it's the perfect age for it. Just a shame that so much of their amazing stuff is now discontinued.
I saw Highland Park 25, the only scotch to win 100 points at the ultimate spirits challenge. Even at $350+ that's hard to pass up. Anyone tried it?
Old 08-25-2013, 05:46 AM

Which one was it?

I'm not sure which one won the 100 points, but in 2012 there were 2 bottlings;

48.1% mid year and 45.7% late in the year, make sure you get the right one

....no not tried it, my experience with HP hasn't been too good (think I had a bad sample of 18yr old and the 12yr does nothing for me).
Old 08-25-2013, 07:01 AM
ClubWhisky.com Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by xounlistedxox View Post
Looks like I'm going to have to try some balvenie and some ardbeg. I haven't had anything from these distilleries thus far.

My favorites from my collection and would consider a must have in any scotch collection are:

Johnnie Walker Gold, but only when it was imported by schieffelin & sommerset co. Much better than the diageo version out now.

Aberlour a'bunadh

The Macallan 12

Bowmore 12
Interesting list there and I'm still looking forward to trying the Gold and Platinum both, as well as the Macallan 12.

Bowmore 12 is pretty pleasant for me too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratman View Post
My must have on hand scotchs would be,

Aberlour abunadh(but have to be slow with it cause not sold around me)
Hibiki 12(same as above)
Glenfiddich 15yr Solera
Glendronach Revival
Balvenie Caribbean Cask
Eagle Rare 10yr

Those would be the bottles that I like to always have on hand and replace them as fast I can when they run out.
Love the Hibiki 12 and hope you get a chance to try the Yamazaki 12 sometime soon. They're both available at Total Wines.

Just got the Glenfiddich 15 last week and am liking it enough to be interested in buying it again, against the contrast of never wanting to try the 12 again.
Old 08-25-2013, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Looks like I'm going to have to try some balvenie and some ardbeg.
The green bottle Ardbegs (10, Ug, Corry) are peat monsters. I think the best way to get acquainted with them, if you don't just take to them right off, is to blend the 10 with a softer whisky.
I'm sipping a 50/50 mix of Ardie 10 & HP 12 now and think it significantly better than the HP 12 alone (which I don't think I'll buy again) and although not better (or as good) as the Ardie 10 neat, a pleasant change of pace.

Last edited by BoxcarBill; 08-25-2013 at 07:20 AM.
Old 08-25-2013, 09:17 PM

Quote:

Well after sipping through a couple ounces of balvenie 12 I will have to change my opinion. I thoroughly enjoyed it and would buy it again. I tried it neat straight from the bottle, then with a tiny bit of water, then let the glass sit and air out for about 30 minutes per Ralfy recommendation. For a mere $40 balvenie is one heck of a bang for the buck scotch. I look forward to trying more balvenie in the future.
Old 08-26-2013, 07:56 AM

Quote:
For a mere $40 balvenie is one heck of a bang for the buck scotch.
Buy a case:
The Doublewood 12 in Idaho is $52, and in Oregon the single barrel 12 is:

1764B BALVENIE 12 YR SINGLE BARR 750 ML 12 YRS 86 $74.95
Old 08-26-2013, 02:51 PM

Hmm, by the sounds of the thread we are only suppose to list one?

I've been hesitant to post here as I am on a journey and plan to taste many different styles so it would be difficult to pick one fav bar none. After trying my first Islay with the Bowmore 12 I have to say I am hooked! So this is my fav for now. After I finished the Bow12 the Mac12Fine oak, JWblue,gold just doesn't do anything for me anymore

I've just ordered a bottle of Bowmore 18 and Lagavulin 16. I know I planned to try Auchentoshan12 and a japanese but they will have to wait.

cheers, Mike

Last edited by complicated; 08-26-2013 at 02:53 PM.
Old 08-26-2013, 07:41 PM
ClubWhisky.com Admin

Quote:
I just picked up balvenie double wood 12. It reminds me very much of Macallan 12, but with a little more bite. Very good, but too similar to Macallan to be it's own stand alone single malt. I will try it periodically to see if it changes
Definitely try again at some point. While I can't recall specifics on the first time I tried Balvenie's Doublewood (meaning it did not leave an impression one way or another), I can tell you the second time I tried it several months later, it really caught my attention. Thumbs UP! Keep us posted on your follow up!
Old 08-26-2013, 10:19 PM

In the past two years I've had the following:
The Glenlivet 25
Glenfarclas 21
HP 18
Hibiki 12
Johnny Walker Gold
Balvenie 14 Caribbean Cask and 17 2x wood
Glenmorangie 12 Nectar D"or
Abelor a'bunadh
Ardbeg Uigeadail

Of these, the ones I will most certainly buy again in the order I prefer them is:

HP 18 (if its a good batch ... my all time favorite)
Glenlivet 25
Glenfarclas 21
Hibiki 12 ( A real tasty surprise )
Johnny Gold
Abelor a'bunadh ( if the batch is good)
Old 08-27-2013, 07:06 AM

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by complicated View Post
Hmm, by the sounds of the thread we are only suppose to list one?

I've been hesitant to post here as I am on a journey and plan to taste many different styles so it would be difficult to pick one fav bar none. After trying my first Islay with the Bowmore 12 I have to say I am hooked! So this is my fav for now. After I finished the Bow12 the Mac12Fine oak, JWblue,gold just doesn't do anything for me anymore

I've just ordered a bottle of Bowmore 18 and Lagavulin 16. I know I planned to try Auchentoshan12 and a japanese but they will have to wait.

cheers, Mike
Any reason you are avoiding the Supreme Being... ARDBEG?
Old 08-27-2013, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojo View Post
i can tell you the second time i tried it several months later, it really caught my attention.
bingo!

capital letters are bane for some reason

Last edited by BoxcarBill; 08-27-2013 at 09:07 AM.
Old 08-27-2013, 07:16 AM
ClubWhisky.com Moderator

Quote:
After trying my first Islay with the Bowmore 12 I have to say I am hooked!
Bowmore 12, I need another bottle too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mintakax View Post
Hibiki 12 ( A real tasty surprise )
It sure is!
Quote:
Definitely need to make the trip over and check out Ardbeg, both the 10 and Corryvreckan.
Old 08-27-2013, 03:33 PM

Quote:
We have Uigeadail, 10yo,Corryvreckan, and if you can find it, Galileo available. I will try them soon. Which one do you recommend first?

I've just opened my first bottle of Lagavulin 16 as I am typing. Initial thoughts are very thick creamy body, less sweet than Bow12. Not bad.

cheers, Mike
Old 08-27-2013, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Which one do you recommend first?
cheers, Mike
Do all three in one sitting, start with the 10, then Ug, then the nectar of the gods, Corry.
Old 08-29-2013, 05:19 AM
ClubWhisky.com Moderator

Quote:
We have Uigeadail, 10yo,Corryvreckan, and if you can find it, Galileo available. I will try them soon. Which one do you recommend first?

I've just opened my first bottle of Lagavulin 16 as I am typing. Initial thoughts are very thick creamy body, less sweet than Bow12. Not bad.
I love my Lagavulin 16, but the Ardbeg range is something that I really enjoy, particularly if I'm in a mood to take my time with the glass.

While I still enjoy Uigeadail very much, I no longer think of it as a must-have, as I do with both the 10 and Corryvreckan.

I would feel that if you can't afford all three, as Bill has suggested, then go with any of them, but whatever you do, don't bypass the 10, as it is every bit as essential as the more sublime upper-line siblings.
Old 08-29-2013, 11:44 AM

Interesting that no one has been able to narrow it down to a single dram, and I quite agree. My first thought of a response after reading the thread title was, "Usually, the one in my glass."
That being said, I can narrow my faves down to five - all locally available, reasonably priced and delightful (to me) on both the nose and the palate. They are, in no particular order...

MacAllan 12
Dalwhinnie 15
Balvenie Doublewood 12
Dalmore 12
Aberlour 12

(Honourable Mention to Cragganmore 12)

I normally have two from this list open at any given time (Dalwhinnie and Dalmore at present).
Experienced whisky-philes might categorize all of these as core expression Speyside Sherry Bombs (although the Dalwhinnie is a Highlander). I make no apologies for my personal tastes, but do not look down on the peat-monster-addicted, sulphur-sensitive, anti-cold-filtering or deep-pocketed whose lists are quite different.

I have very much enjoyed reading the responses of other posters.
Old 08-30-2013, 07:33 AM
ClubWhisky.com Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_T View Post
MacAllan 12
Dalwhinnie 15
Balvenie Doublewood 12
Dalmore 12
Aberlour 12

(Honourable Mention to Cragganmore 12)
Interesting that Balvenie DoubleWood and Dalwhinnie 15 are listed side-by-side; the former one I hold in high regard, the latter one which both times I've tried it refused to come to polite terms with my senses.

I'm looking forward to trying more of your other favorites and always find your posts to be worth reading slowly.
Old 08-30-2013, 05:59 PM

My favorite seems to be changing all the time, however I had the pleasure of sharing a bottle last week of the Glenfiddich 21 Gran Reserva and it was exceptional! May be one of the smoothest, most balanced drams I have had.

I have never been overly impressed with any of the Glenfiddich expressions I have tried (12, 15, 18, 19 yr Age of Discovery) but the 21 really knocked my socks off!

If I base my favorite on which bottle currently in my cabinet that I reach for the most, it is Aberlour A'bunadh Batch 45, which I like even more than the 44.
Old 08-31-2013, 06:24 AM
ClubWhisky.com Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunnermcgee View Post
I have never been overly impressed with any of the Glenfiddich expressions I have tried (12, 15, 18, 19 yr Age of Discovery) but the 21 really knocked my socks off!
I don't care for the 12 at all, find the 15 and 18 okay, but the one and only Glenfiddich that I've found that I wish was still available is the Special Old Reserve.

Apparently no one knows anything about it either, or at least enough to come up with anything that would compare in nosing and flavor.

I'll have to try the 21 as soon as I get a chance, and continue to slowly nurse my bottle of Special Old Reserve.
Old 08-31-2013, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islay Peat View Post
I love my Lagavulin 16, but the Ardbeg range is something that I really enjoy, particularly if I'm in a mood to take my time with the glass.

While I still enjoy Uigeadail very much, I no longer think of it as a must-have, as I do with both the 10 and Corryvreckan.

I would feel that if you can't afford all three, as Bill has suggested, then go with any of them, but whatever you do, don't bypass the 10, as it is every bit as essential as the more sublime upper-line siblings.
I'm half-way through the Lag16, now don't get me wrong-it's good but I prefer the Bowmore12. In Aus, the Lag16 is only $10 more than the Bow12. I do, among others, have an unopened Bow18 but I think I'll leave that in the cellar and get the Ardbeg 10 next. Has anyone here tried the Galileo?
cheers, Mike.
Old 08-31-2013, 08:19 AM
ClubWhisky.com Moderator

I'm one who tried the Galileo and Blasda, but did not care for either.

Had some friends over tonight and introduced them to Ardbeg and one who said he didn't like Islay varieties fell for the Corryvreckan, while the other took a strong liking to the 10.

I spilled some Ardbeg 10 on my shirt and have been enjoying the fragrance for the last couple hours - now I think it's time to go back and get another Glencairn full.
Old 08-31-2013, 04:13 PM

Quote:
I'm one who tried the Galileo and Blasda, but did not care for either.

Had some friends over tonight and introduced them to Ardbeg and one who said he didn't like Islay varieties fell for the Corryvreckan, while the other took a strong liking to the 10.

I spilled some Ardbeg 10 on my shirt and have been enjoying the fragrance for the last couple hours - now I think it's time to go back and get another Glencairn full.
Please tell me, which one should I try first-Corryvreckan,Uigeadail or Ardbog? These three are being touted as "Limited editions". Should I snap all three up before they disappear? I will try the ten yo as well, but no rush as it's not "limited".

cheers, Mike.
Old 08-31-2013, 06:58 PM

Not sure why; corryvrecken and oogie are both part of the standard lineup. Ardbog certainly is limited and pretty much globally sold out. I'll sell you my spare bottle for a million quid :-D ...........it's very, very good.

My view: Ardbog is best, then corry and then oogie. Bare in mind you're comparing 3 of the, potentially, best whiskies in the world. 4 if you chuck in the ten year old. Bottle for bottle Ardbeg is probably the best distillery in the world.
Old 09-01-2013, 04:28 AM
ClubWhisky.com Moderator

Quote:
Please tell me, which one should I try first-Corryvreckan, Uigeadail or Ardbog? These three are being touted as "Limited editions". Should I snap all three up before they disappear? I will try the ten too as well, but no rush as it's not "limited".
I'd definitely go for the highly rated, and definitely limited Ardbog before it's no longer available.

Personally, I still find great enjoyment from the Uigeadail, but no longer worry about having it on hand as it's place has been taken by the Corryvreckan, which while others may not feel the same, I find Corryvreckan to be an even more excellent version of Uigeadail, and even for the extra cost of entry, prefer to pay in order to have what it offers.

As already noted by Opel, Corryvreckan and Uigeadail are both readily available and if they were to be discontinued, you'd have plenty of time to get them.

This may surprise you, but I still think of the least expensive Ardbeg, 10, as my absolute favorite, and the others as special occasion drinks, not because of the price, but what it offers in terms of nose and flavour.
Quote:
My view: Ardbog is best, then corry and then oogie. Bare in mind you're comparing 3 of the, potentially, best whiskies in the world. 4 if you chuck in the ten year old. Bottle for bottle Ardbeg is probably the best distillery in the world.
My thoughts exactly, other than the views on Ardbog, of which I will probably never get a chance to try.

Thankfully I've had plenty of 10, Uigeadail and Corryvreckan to keep my spirits up though.
Old 09-01-2013, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Not sure why; corryvrecken and oogie are both part of the standard lineup. Ardbog certainly is limited and pretty much globally sold out. I'll sell you my spare bottle for a million quid :-D ...........it's very, very good.

When I moved from wristwatches to whisky, I thought that this hobby would cost less. On average I think it may be catching up. But someone once told me, if it ends up in your tummy, and you enjoy it, then it's worth it.

I have just ordered all three-Corry, Uigeadail and Arbog. The Ardbog has a limit of one per customer.The Corry and Uige is listed as "limited edition" as well by the shop but no purchase amount limit.*EDIT all three have limit of one per customer at this particular purveyor*

Quote:
I'd definitely go for the highly rated, and definitely limited Ardbog before it's no longer available.

Personally, I still find great enjoyment from the Uigeadail, but no longer worry about having it on hand as it's place has been taken by the Corryvreckan, which while others may not feel the same, I find Corryvreckan to be an even more excellent version of Uigeadail, and even for the extra cost of entry, prefer to pay in order to have what it offers.

As already noted by Opel, Corryvreckan and Uigeadail are both readily available and if they were to be discontinued, you'd have plenty of time to get them.

This may surprise you, but I still think of the least expensive Ardbeg, 10, as my absolute favorite, and the others as special occasion drinks, not because of the price, but what it offers in terms of nose and flavour.
My thoughts exactly, other than the views on Ardbog, of which I will probably never get a chance to try.

Thankfully I've had plenty of 10, Uigeadail and Corryvreckan to keep my spirits up though.
When I am finished with the Lag16 this week I will pick up a Ardbeg10, and save the Corry,Uige and Arbog for a special occasion or when my "top shelf" friends drop by. I think I will go 10>Uige>corry>Ardbog. Maybe they are using scare tactics regarding the corry and uige as been limited. Well, it worked on me !

cheers, Mike.

Last edited by complicated; 09-01-2013 at 02:21 PM.
Old 09-02-2013, 02:25 AM

Quote:
I think I will go 10>Uige>corry>Ardbog. Maybe they are using scare tactics regarding the corry and uige as been limited. Well, it worked on me !
cheers, Mike.
Can I ask what you're paying for these gems?
Old 09-02-2013, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Can I ask what you're paying for these gems?
No prob, in Aussie dollars, : Ugie $125, Corry $143, Ardbog $158 no charge for shipping.

cheers, Mike.
Old 09-02-2013, 08:26 PM

I suspected they are "Limited" due to either the number of bottles that the guy in the shop has avaliable to him, or Ardbeg's approach to selling in Oz.

Most likely the former, as I wasn't aware of any issues with shipping and selling Scotch in Australia....but then I don't know anything about that

anyway, who cares, they are worth a purchase.
Old 09-03-2013, 02:10 AM
ClubWhisky.com Moderator

Quote:
I have just ordered all three-Corry, Uigeadail and Arbog.

When I am finished with the Lag16 this week I will pick up a Ardbeg10, and save the Corry,Uige and Arbog for a special occasion or when my "top shelf" friends drop by. I think I will go 10>Uige>corry>Ardbog.
You may find yourself, like me, actually preferring the 10 over it's more expensive siblings depending on your mood - it's The One that always tastes right to me.

Quote:
No prob, in Aussie dollars, : Ugie $125, Corry $143, Ardbog $158 no charge for shipping.
Ouch, ouch. Oh well, I'm sure you'll get your enjoyment out of all three!
Old 09-03-2013, 02:25 PM

Quote:
I suspected they are "Limited" due to either the number of bottles that the guy in the shop has avaliable to him, or Ardbeg's approach to selling in Oz.

Most likely the former, as I wasn't aware of any issues with shipping and selling Scotch in Australia....but then I don't know anything about that

anyway, who cares, they are worth a purchase.
I'd say it's marketing, as I am buying from probably Australia's largest chain. They've actually made these three online order only and not available off the shelf. I've seen Ard 10yo from Au$69-$79 and widely available.

Quote:
You may find yourself, like me, actually preferring the 10 over it's more expensive siblings depending on your mood - it's The One that always tastes right to me.
I bloody hope so! Otherwise I'd be broke. All the good stuff always costs more in Australia
Old 09-05-2013, 04:32 AM
ClubWhisky.com Moderator

I saw Ardbeg 10 for $95 and Uigeadail for $135 in Canada!
Old 09-05-2013, 02:45 PM

Quote:
I saw Ardbeg 10 for $95 and Uigeadail for $135 in Canada!
Thanks, I feel better now!

I picked up a bottle of Ardbeg 10 today, and the young lady that served me commented that I have good taste. Just finishing off the Lag16 right now. It was enjoyable, but I have to say I prefer the Bow12. Lag16 less sweet, less bacon but more chilli. Bow12 more bacon less chilli. Will open Ardbeg10 tomorrow. Very excited!

cheers, Mike
Old 09-05-2013, 10:09 PM

Did some Ardie 10 last night and thought it quite sweet, almost to the point of sugar being added. It's amazing what your mood and disposition, at the time, will render to your taste buds.
Old 09-07-2013, 08:08 AM
ClubWhisky.com Moderator

Mike, Bill, with Ardbeg 10 in Glencairn, cheers!
Old 09-07-2013, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Did some Ardie 10 last night and thought it quite sweet, almost to the point of sugar being added. It's amazing what your mood and disposition, at the time, will render to your taste buds.
I figured it might depend on what you ate beforehand as well. Last night when I first opened my Ard10 it was quite sweet. Tonight not so sweet.

Quote:
Mike, Bill, with Ardbeg 10 in Glencairn, cheers!
Likewise "Peat", cheers!

Mike
Old 09-07-2013, 07:52 PM

bowmore kranna dubh.
ardbeg 1977
glenfarclas 30
Old 09-08-2013, 04:04 AM
ClubWhisky.com Moderator

Quote:
I figured it might depend on what you ate beforehand as well. Last night when I first opened my Ard10 it was quite sweet. Tonight not so sweet.

Likewise "Peat", cheers!
Matters very much what comes before, even what you were doing.

Now I have a glass (my third) of Corryvreckan, and it is absolutely perfect on this rainy day here...

Quote:
Originally Posted by russell View Post
bowmore kranna dubh.
ardbeg 1977
glenfarclas 30
Are these all drinks I would love, but will never see in my lifetime?
Old 09-08-2013, 09:05 AM

i have had the pleasure of tasting them and whilst the kranna dubh and ardbeg 77 are pricey the glenfarclas 30,in my opinion,at a cost of about 110 pounds approx, is outstanding value.
Old 09-08-2013, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Matters very much what comes before, even what you were doing.
I believe this to be true, but have you figured how? Examples?

Also, half way through the Ardbeg 10. Initial thoughts are sweet, subtle and a long finish. Less chilli than the Lag16 which was my previous bottle. The smoke is different to Bowmore and Lag( I found them to be like bacon/smallgoods kind of smoke, which I love!) where is the Ard10 is like fragrant tobacco smoke which stays on the tongue long after you finish, drying. I honestly didn't realise that the Ard10 is 46%abv, because it was so smooth and so easy to drink. It creeps up on you.

cheers, Mike.

Last edited by complicated; 09-08-2013 at 03:42 PM.
Old 09-08-2013, 09:37 PM

Quote:
It creeps up on you.
cheers, Mike.
Often when you find which dram (after 2 or 3) is the one that best hits your spot, you've had your limit.

I sometimes think the Uigeadail is too young, a bit harsh, and other times wonder how I could have ever thought the former.
Old 10-05-2013, 03:18 PM

Quote:
I have tried many different Scotch' and own/regularly taste more than 20 Scotch'. My problem now is that every new bottle I buy/taste it is similar to something I already have tasted. I am wondering what you guys like a lot. My collection ranges from Red Label all the way to 25 year single malts. I have yet to find a scotch that I don't like Islay highland speyside lowland campbletown blends all are fair game

My collection so far
Mid shelf blue label Glenlivet. I have worn google out trying to find this 18yo. The current 18 label is different, can you tell me where you bought it and how long ago?
Old 10-28-2013, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeyScott View Post
Mid shelf blue label Glenlivet. I have worn google out trying to find this 18yo. The current 18 label is different, can you tell me where you bought it and how long ago?
Sorry for the delayed response. I thought I was subscribed but I wasn't. I actually made a thread specifically about that bottle. I picked it up at a local liquor store. They claimed its a mid 80s bottling of the Glenlivet 18. It reminds me very much of Irish Whiskey rather than most scotch' I have tasted
Old 10-31-2013, 09:33 PM

Macallan Select Oak from the 1824 Collection. Perhaps because of how hard it is to acquire but I love it's mellow smoothness.
Old 11-05-2013, 03:49 AM

Favorite of all time Highland Park 25

Best daily drinker Bruichladdich The Laddie Classic.
Best Daily drinker Peat Laphroiag Three Wood
Best Daily drinker Sherry/peat Bowmore Lamrig 3
Best challenge Arran Cask Strength 12

Wow this list just leaves off So many choices that are better than these but are not readily available anymore or are Independent Bottlings
Old 11-12-2013, 12:43 PM

For me it's Glenmorangie Sonnalta PX hands down.
Old 12-06-2013, 01:15 AM

Op updated, I've picked up several more bottles since the last post including Ardbeg 10 & Pappy Van Winkle 12.

Ardbeg is every bit as good as you guys have said. I'd say even better. It's absolutely amazing. I can't wait to try more!
Old 12-07-2013, 06:15 PM

I love the Ardbeg Uigy, but haven't tried the 10.

I like sherry-finished Islays. Lag12 is another good one.

As for my favorites:

Glenrothes 1972 (1991 is also really good)
Highland Park 25 (18 is also really good)
Glenfarclas 15
Balvenie 21
Old 12-07-2013, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwise View Post

As for my favorites:

Glenfarclas 15
Balvenie 21
After trying the Ardbeg 10 from others recommendations I will have no hesitations picking up another Ardbeg to try. Going to total wine & more makes it really hard to pick something and stick to it though. They have such an immense selection that I rarely get what I actually went there for
Old 12-08-2013, 12:23 AM
ClubWhisky.com Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwise View Post

As for my favorites:

Glenfarclas 15
Balvenie 21
You'll eventually try the 10 I'm sure, but Corryvreckan and Ardbog are calling your name. I quit worrying about keeping Uigeadail on hand after falling harder for the Corryvreckan.

I've been trying to keep my eyes open for some of these others but no luck so far other than to get a taste of Highland Park Loki last week.

Quote:
After trying the Ardbeg 10 from others recommendations I will have no hesitations picking up another Ardbeg to try. Going to total wine & more makes it really hard to pick something and stick to it though. They have such an immense selection that I rarely get what I actually went there for
Ardbeg 10 would be my desert island or apocalypse choice where you could only have one bottle, but be careful as not all Ardbeg's are going to give you what you thought you came for, in particular the Blasda and Galileo both left incredibly strong impressions of disaster on my mind. I'll have to try them both again someday, but having tried them once, neither was in least bit enjoyable.

Ardbeg 10, Uigeadail, Corryvreckan and Ardbog are like family, while Blasda and Galileo are distant relatives.
Old 12-08-2013, 01:55 AM

If you like peat then you cant go wrong with the Ardbeg line, although I would prefer if they had age statements.
Just bought some Corryvreckan for $59 a steal.
The Oban 14 I just finished was better than expected lite and smooth.
Problem is there are so many good drams out there.
Old 12-08-2013, 02:26 PM
ClubWhisky.com Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotch Neat View Post
If you like peat then you cant go wrong with the Ardbeg line...
Unless you're considering Blasda or Galileo...
Old 12-08-2013, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Unless you're considering Blasda or Galileo...
I do have an unopened bottle of Galileo, what can I expect or not for that matter.

Is it that bad or just not what is expected for an Ardbeg?
Old 12-08-2013, 04:56 PM
ClubWhisky.com Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotch Neat View Post
I do have an unopened bottle of Galileo, what can I expect or not for that matter.

Is it that bad or just not what is expected for an Ardbeg?
From some other postings I've read, I suspect it just wasn't within the range of my preferences, but is probably still an enjoyable drink which, despite the label on the bottle, shouldn't be considered what most of us expect from an Ardbeg.
Old 12-08-2013, 06:21 PM

Lately, my favorite scotch has been Springbank 15, really just an outstanding malt. The Whisky Shop in San Francisco had a whole shelf of different Springbank expressions, including cask strength at 12, 13, 15, and 16 years, along with the regular 10, 12, 15, and 18 expressions. They also had a 40!

I've tried the 12 (cask), 15, and 18. It's a pricey scotch, and of those three, the 15 comes out ahead. The flavor seems to be a bit muted by the time it reaches 18, which is unfortunate, since that was the priciest bottle of scotch I've bought to date. The cask strength 12 is also a great one, much better with a splash of water. But the 15 is really something special.
Old 12-09-2013, 02:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxHorn View Post
Lately, my favorite scotch has been Springbank 15, really just an outstanding malt. The Whisky Shop in San Francisco had a whole shelf of different Springbank expressions, including cask strength at 12, 13, 15, and 16 years, along with the regular 10, 12, 15, and 18 expressions. They also had a 40!

I've tried the 12 (cask), 15, and 18. It's a pricey scotch, and of those three, the 15 comes out ahead. The flavor seems to be a bit muted by the time it reaches 18, which is unfortunate, since that was the priciest bottle of scotch I've bought to date. The cask strength 12 is also a great one, much better with a splash of water. But the 15 is really something special.
Ralphy always recommends Springbank. I've rarely seen any even at total wine, so I haven't tried it yet, but it's on the long list of scotch I would like to try
Old 12-09-2013, 09:30 AM

Lord of the Isles Ardbeg...I managed to visit a few years ago and due to the person I went with we had a whole load of tasting including this beauty...a bit too expensive for me now but I found it to be delicious.
Old 12-09-2013, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Ralphy always recommends Springbank. I've rarely seen any even at total wine, so I haven't tried it yet, but it's on the long list of scotch I would like to try

If you're in California, I wouldn't think it would be hard to find. The SF stores (like The Whisky Shop, SF Wine Trading Company, and D & M) are full of the stuff, and Total Wine can transfer from store to store on request. I've never seen it at Bevmo, though.
Old 12-10-2013, 10:06 AM

Here are my more affordable favourites:

- Glenfarclas (15 specifically)
- Aberlour A'bunadh
- Glendronach (I find these are very reasonably priced and very enjoyable)
Old 12-10-2013, 03:09 PM

bobb,
agree about the glenfarclas, for the price it cant be beaten i m o.
Old 12-10-2013, 05:25 PM

My only bottle of Glenfarclas is the 25 year. It's really good, & definitely in a league of its own vs. my other bottles
Old 12-10-2013, 07:07 PM

Wow, I bought a bottle of Glenfarclas 17 a few weeks ago, and it was really underwhelming. The finish was just nonexistent, and it's probably the most disappointing bottle (for the money) that I've bought to date. Michael Jackson's book gave that one a high rating, but it just doesn't do anything for me.
Old 12-11-2013, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxHorn View Post
Wow, I bought a bottle of Glenfarclas 17 a few weeks ago, and it was really underwhelming. The finish was just nonexistent, and it's probably the most disappointing bottle (for the money) that I've bought to date. Michael Jackson's book gave that one a high rating, but it just doesn't do anything for me.
Good thing I went straight for the 25 year then!
Old 12-12-2013, 02:19 AM

Quote:
My only bottle of Glenfarclas is the 25 year. It's really good, & definitely in a league of its own vs. my other bottles
The 25yr is very good. Here's what I said about it back in 2011:

Quote:
Tasting Notes by jwise

I ordered a gift box of Glenfarclas 15yr in January, and this wee bottle of 25yr came with it. I think it is now time to crack it open and enjoy!

Nose: WHAT A NOSE! Wow. DEElicious. Currants, apple fritters, cinnamon, and fruitcake! I am loving this. Just the slightest bit of nose tingle. Just enough to remind me its a whisky that I'm nosing, and not a frosted Christmas cake! Mmmmmm.....

Palate: Ooh! A little tart. Spices building. The mouth leaves a lot to be desired. Not very good, really.

Finish: THERE IT IS! Long and wonderful. Not very sweet at all; mostly spicy and cinnamon. The backwash of aroma is fantastic. Just a subdued version of the nose. More spice; less sweet.

I come back to the nose for the best part. It is intense, flavorful, and mind-numbing. Pralines. So good.

This whisky has a great nose, but the 15yr beats it -- hands down!
Old 12-13-2013, 04:22 PM

Default Favorite scotch

Well for me, (novice) Glenlivet is great, but I had Jura 21 year old, thought I was going to heaven. I still have many more to taste but that was a benchmark for me, my first was Glenrothes, and is the reason I started to drink Scotch.