ClubWhisky.com Forum - Questions About Whisky  

Go Back   ClubWhisky.com Forum - Questions About Whisky > All About Whisky! > Single Malt Scotch Whisky

Old 11-24-2013, 02:50 AM

Default Help Please I Am New

My story is this.
I am a 21 Y.O. college student.
I spent a good amount of time in high school drinking with friends, so i am not new to alcohol per se. However, the drinks that i always had up to this point was shots, and chasers after. and when i get drunk enough that i cant taste anymore, then i would just do shots w/o chasers.

However, a month ago, I got a bottle of glenlivet 12.
I would like to start learning to drink for appreciation now.
so yesterday, i opened the bottle up, poured a dram, and took a sniff.
i only smell that burning sensation when you drink alcohol, not "vanilla", "peat" and other stuff that people uses to describe alcohol.
when i take a small sip, it immeditaly burns, same with when i finally bring it down.

so, i took some cap full of distilled water from a water bottle at room temp and poured some it.
the smell now smells the same, but with less intensity, but i still can smell anything else.

when i take a sip, and leave it in the front of my mouth and on my tongue, i finally dont get any burning sensation, but i also feel as if im not tasting ANYTHING at all.

when i finally drink it out, the burning sensation is there again.

so my question is, how do i start to actually differentiate the smell and taste? its always that burning sensation in the nose and when i drink it down.

Im even starting to regret opening the bottle.

thanks for the help.
Old 11-24-2013, 03:20 AM

I am pretty new, but Glenlivet 12 was harsh for me. Glenlivet 21 is nice, but for around the same price as the Glenlivet 12, you can get a Dalmore 12 which is worlds better. Hope this helps until others come along.

If by chance you smoke cigars, try one with the Glenlivet 12. The cigar will mute your sense of taste but Glenlivet 12 tastes a lot better when you tone it down.
Old 11-24-2013, 04:24 AM

No i dont smoke cigars.

What should i do with this bottle now? will i get a taste for it soon? or should i just quit with this bottle
Old 11-24-2013, 04:32 AM

mix it with Drambuie and pour it over vanilla ice cream.
Old 11-24-2013, 04:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxcarBill View Post
mix it with Drambuie and pour it over vanilla ice cream.
Will doing this still get me accustomed to drinking scotch whiskies?

I am getting tired of doing shots with my friends now, that can only go so far.
i dont want to be in my 30's and 40's and still doing shots.

I want to get to the point where i can sit down when im older, after work, and enjoy a drink
Old 11-24-2013, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMKR View Post
i dont want to be in my 30's and 40's and still doing shots.
Doing shots in your 40's is nothing to be unhappy about, as long as they're tequila and not scotch!!
Old 11-24-2013, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son-o'-the-Sod(?) View Post
Doing shots in your 40's is nothing to be unhappy about, as long as they're tequila and not scotch!!
You know what i mean lol
I just mean that its probably about time I throw away the kid personality and start to get into the adult world for the future.

I dont want my group of future colleagues to be sipping scotch while i pop out a shot glass and start doing shots hahaha.
Old 11-24-2013, 07:26 AM

so how can i get used to drinking scotch w/o having to shoot it down and take a gulp of a chaser?

I was able to finish the first dram that i tried today but i am not sure if i will be able to do another next time.

should i just keep continuing like this until i get the taste for it?

or am i just doing it wrong?

i honestly cant taste anything or smell anything other than a sharp burning sensation. (even on the nose, i feel a bit of a burn and tinkle)
Old 11-24-2013, 07:30 AM

I would try something else. Glenlivet 12 is not one of my favorites.
Old 11-24-2013, 05:03 PM

I find that different drinks are for different people. I tried a bunch of samples through Masters of Malt. Some were horrible others were good, but about 10-12 were truly amazing. I would go this route. I read the tasting notes and if it sounds interesting try it. Its far less than just buying a bottle to try and you will usually find some that you like. I wouldn't worry about trying to pick everything up on your first sip. Some say whisky is an acquired taste. If you like it keep at it.
Old 11-24-2013, 09:34 PM

I think the most important way to learn to appreciate whisky is drinking it VERY slow. Sometimes a dram will take me an hour to finish. Sometimes longer. Get a glencairn and take a SMALL sip for every 5 minutes you spend nosing. Too large of a sip invites the alcohol burn to take over. That will ruin it. If you do what I've said, I think you'll have no problem drinking higher abv Whiskies. Oh yes, and if you desire, add a little water AfTER you've tried it neat. Just remember, a little goes a long way. Good luck
Old 11-25-2013, 01:45 AM

I know where your coming from. I am just turning 60 tomorrow and have very recently discovered the pleasure of good single malt scotch whisky.
I have been at it for a couple years.
IMHO The Balvenie 15 single barrel will give you a taste of what Scotch whisky is. Not flavored with secondary wine cask influents. I know it is more expensive but it will drink like a true Scotch whisky.
Just pour an oz. or dram and let it breath for 15 minutes. You can add a small amount of water if you like but a very small amount. Nose it as many different ways as you can think of before sipping it. Hold it in the mouth while moving around and taking in a little air to taste it.
Balvenie is a sweet whisky with honey almond and heather.
If you like the more hard core flavors of smoke and peat, then go for an Ardbeg, Laphroiag or Lagavulin. These have some intense smoke and other things.
You going about this correctly.
Ask, Talk and try.
This Scotch whisky a whole enjoyable world in itself.
Oscar
Old 11-25-2013, 04:48 AM

Darn, I guess all of this means no more drinking right out of the bottle!
Old 11-25-2013, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by speyslider View Post
I find that different drinks are for different people. I tried a bunch of samples through Masters of Malt. Some were horrible others were good, but about 10-12 were truly amazing. I would go this route. I read the tasting notes and if it sounds interesting try it. Its far less than just buying a bottle to try and you will usually find some that you like. I wouldn't worry about trying to pick everything up on your first sip. Some say whisky is an acquired taste. If you like it keep at it.

I live in Washington State and i hear that its illegal for alcohol delivery to some states, including Washington,
so i dont think i can to that route sadly
Old 11-25-2013, 07:25 AM

@wallagm and @oscar

When im drinkign it slowly the burn is strong that it takes me a long time to even finish a dram.

i cant even handle a sip. when its on my tongue and front part of my mouth, it doesnt burn, but when slowly drink it, it just burns

(trying to say that i drink it slowly cuz i have to due to the burn, since im not looking to 1 shot it now lol)
Old 11-25-2013, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyoske View Post
You aren't alone. It took a while to be able to drink straight whisky and enjoy it.

The first three successive whiffs will be mostly the evaporating alcohol you smell. Take a fourth/fifth/sixth (if needed) whiff to get to the nose characteristics.

As for tasting, you can't take "too small" of a sip. Just let it touch your tongue at first. We're talking SMALL sips.

When I first started drinking whiskey (bourbon), I would take a shot of it first, then sip it over ice. Compared with the shot, sipping cool, diluted whiskey was a piece of cake , and it went down much smoother.

Start off drinking whisky over ice in a tumbler. You aren't ready to drink straight whisky in a glencairn.
Old 11-25-2013, 07:49 AM

What im doing is drinking my whiskey with some water. (to the point where it doesnt burn when its on my tongue)

i would try some ice but i dont have an ice tray or anything.

and also, after a while, when i take a whiff, i dont smell anything burning but smell something else (kinda pleasant) that i cant identify. (on the glenlivet 12)
I think its something sweet.

but, i still cant taste anything.

EDIT: also, what does "smooth" mean in terms of whiskey? i never understand what it meant.
Old 11-25-2013, 08:31 AM

To me, smooth means very little burn. Between a Glenlivet 12 and a Glenlivet 21 there is a WORLD of difference. Like the difference in harshness between milk and Coca-Cola.

I like to take a sip and chew it letting it get all over my mouth and tounge. I do that a few seconds, then swallow. I will let in a little air, and breath it out through my nose for a few seconds then take a big deep breath and let it out.
This should help with the burn.

I may add water, but I do not use very cold water. I use cool, to room temp, distilled water.

I am not sure if you are joking about doing shots, or drinking out of the bottle, but a bottle or shot glass are NOT ideal for anything you want to enjoy. Try smelling the whisky in the bottle, then pour it into a glass (preferably a tulip shaped glass like a glencairn glass, snifter glass, or even a wine glass (bordeaux or pinot noir)). Some people may think that smell is not a major part of it, but try eating something while holding your nose.

In the U.S. World Market has Glencairn glasses for $10 and they are a great investment.

With Glenlivet 12, the sweet smells I recognize are citrus and vanilla. More of a lime than an orange, but together they smell like an Orange Julius.

Last edited by William; 11-25-2013 at 08:47 AM.
Old 11-25-2013, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by William View Post
To me, smooth means very little burn. Between a Glenlivet 12 and a Glenlivet 21 there is a WORLD of difference. Like the difference in harshness between milk and Coca-Cola.

I like to take a sip and chew it letting it get all over my mouth and tounge. I do that a few seconds, then swallow. I will let in a little air, and breath it out through my nose for a few seconds then take a big deep breath and let it out.
This should help with the burn.

I may add water, but I do not use very cold water. I use cool, to room temp, distilled water.

I am not sure if you are joking about doing shots, or drinking out of the bottle, but a bottle or shot glass are NOT ideal for anything you want to enjoy. Try smelling the whisky in the bottle, then pour it into a glass (preferably a tulip shaped glass like a glencairn glass, snifter glass, or even a wine glass (bordeaux or pinot noir)). Some people may think that smell is not a major part of it, but try eating something while holding your nose.

In the U.S. World Market has Glencairn glasses for $10 and they are a great investment.

With Glenlivet 12, the sweet smells I recognize are citrus and vanilla. More of a lime than an orange, but together they smell like an Orange Julius.
hahaha lol, that totally understand that analogy .
so smooth means less burn got it now.

should i just keep trying the glenlivet 12 for now until my mouth gets used to it and i can tell the flavors?

EDIT: about the shots thing, im saying i dont want to keep doing that with friends anymore and want to eventually go to the "adult" world.
i spent a great deal of HS and College doing shots and parties and crap, and its pretty boring now.
so i was just trying to say that my body isnt new to alcohol, just the part of tasting and doing so w/o chasers.

Last edited by IMKR; 11-25-2013 at 09:11 AM.
Old 11-25-2013, 09:30 AM

Smaller sips and chew it.
Old 11-25-2013, 11:02 AM

IMKR, what I'd recommend is to compare two different whiskies - the Glenlivet 12 and something cheap will do - and something to cleanse your pallet - I think beer is good, but only take small sips - the idea is to use the beer to to rinse your mouth, not drink until your taste buds give up. I don't personally think water works for this, but it may be fine for you. Weak black or green tea could be other possibilities.

Pour a measure of each whisky, and then take a tiny sip of the better quality, hold it in the front of your mouth and inhale over it. You should get more than one taste as the air fills your mouth. Think about the tastes and what they remind you of, try to remember what was happening in your mouth.

Give it a moment, then take a small sip of beer and use it refresh your mouth.

Give it another moment and then take a small sip of the second whisky and repeat the inhaling process. The cheaper of the two should have fewer tastes and will probably taste harsher than the more expensive whisky.

Adding a little water can help to uncover some flavours.

Once you can taste the difference between the two whiskies you should start to be able to smell the difference too, and you nose can "suggest" how the drink should taste.

Small sips of everything - the idea is to taste the drinks, not gargle with them.
Old 11-25-2013, 02:35 PM
ClubWhisky.com Member

Quote:
I live in Washington State and i hear that its illegal for alcohol delivery to some states, including Washington, so i dont think i can to that route sadly
Maybe go on the Master of Malt website, fill out an order and input your zip code. Then the site will tell you if they can ship to your location. My bet is that they can.

The samples are a good way to go. Life's too short to spend time trying to develop a taste for a whisky you obviously don't like (the Glenlivet 12). I made that mistake many years ago in my early teens, and finally developed a taste for beer. Then I proceeded to drink a LOT of it. Drank a fair amount of cheap Tennessee whiskey, too. Hated the whiskey, but getting drunk was the order of the day back then, and I was successful on many occasions.

Not any more.

I stopped drinking completely for almost 20 years. Frankly I just plain got tired of it all. A few years ago, I started trying different good craft and import beers (which I thoroughly enjoy) and about a year ago tried a decent bourbon, Woodford Reserve. It was OK, but not great. Next was my first Scotch whisky, a bottle of Macallan 12. I thoroughly enjoyed it. Moved on to a selection of samples from MoM and since then I've tried a few others. I sip purely for flavor and the enjoyment. Currently I'm enjoying a bottle of GlenDronach 15 year old Revival.

Repeating the suggestion; try the samples. There also may be some tastings near you on the west coast, where you can try a number of different whiskies in one evening.

Enjoy the journey.

Last edited by john_b; 11-25-2013 at 02:38 PM.
Old 11-25-2013, 04:54 PM

Good call on trying to input address on MoM to see if shipping is possible. Some might frown on drinking whisky with water but I say whatever it takes to get you into it works. I always try straight then with a drop or so of distilled water. I don't care for ice really. Also check your local liquor stores to see if they sell some of the small sampler packs ( Glenmorangie, Glenrothes, Glenlivet) as a way to try a few different types.
Old 11-25-2013, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyoske View Post
Actually I meant guess I'll have to use a glass!
Set back, relax, take your shoes off. Scotch is to enjoy. I pour something along the lines of Highland Park 18 in a glass, put my feet up, which allows two Wirehairs to get even closer, get comfortable and sip. Find some Scotch that you enjoy, it's out there.
Old 11-26-2013, 05:10 AM

Hmmm i think i can place orders on MoM, doesnt really give me any errors, (of course i didnt try go all the way since that means actually placing the orders)

but only problem at this point for me is that the delivery chargers are so huge !!

and bottle samples are also only 30ml for like $10 - $20.

but the delivery charges are more expensive the the items itself.

i dont think this is worth it for me
Old 11-26-2013, 05:26 AM

also, is the definition of a "good scotch" something that doesnt burn you? (smooth?) also is this different for everyone?

like will the glenlivet 12 not burn some people?

EDIT: also, in the glenlivet 12, i smell something really nice (its faint but its there), I like the smell of it, (i didnt smell this the first 2 days i tried it) but when i drink it, i dont taste what i smell.

Last edited by IMKR; 11-26-2013 at 05:30 AM.
Old 11-26-2013, 06:13 AM

I think a good Scotch is relative to the person drinking it.

The Dalmore 12 does not get a lot of recommendations as compared to The Balvienie or Glenmoringie but I love it. It is my favorite Scotch under 15 years. It is not that complex, but I think it is a good starting point."

I started with my first Scotch in September (Macallan 12) and it has gotten out of hand since then.

Others have a lot more time and experience, I am just suggesting what I have gone through in my short time with Scotch.
Old 11-26-2013, 06:50 AM

The way I look at it is that when I order 20 samples for 200 and the shipping is 45-50 I get to try 20 different whiskies for the price of 2-3 bottles of something I might not like or finish. You could also try to find a local whisky bar or store that offers tastings. Great way to sample a few to expand your tastes.
Old 11-26-2013, 02:25 PM
ClubWhisky.com Member

^^^This ^^^

Tags
noob