ClubWhisky.com Forum - Questions About Whisky  

Go Back   ClubWhisky.com Forum - Questions About Whisky > All About Whisky! > Single Malt Scotch Whisky

Old 12-25-2013, 04:34 AM

Default Don't Really Care For The Lagavulin 16

A good friend bought me a couple single malts. I usually drink bourbon, so I thought this would be nice. One was Balvenie 15, which I really like. Mild, sweet not too strong. The other was Lagavulin 16. I don't really care for that one. Very strong peaty? taste. At least that's what I think it is.

Anyway, I would like some other opinions on the Lagavulin 16. Do you like it? Why do you like it?
Old 12-25-2013, 05:11 AM

Yes, I like Lag 16. It is with me tonight, and after I finish off a little more of the Aberlour 18 I am currently drinking, I will move on to it.

I like it because it has a VERY strong flavor profile that comes through, even after drinking other great whiskies or smoking a cigar.
Old 12-25-2013, 05:15 AM

I'm a peat monster lover.
With that said, the Lag 16 is undoubtedly a quality southern Isla malt, and I enjoy drinking it, but IMHO it's overrated, especially considering it's currently very close in price with Corryvreckan.

P.S. Too bad I can't swap you my Nadurra for the Lag. To me it tastes like bourbon.

Last edited by BoxcarBill; 12-25-2013 at 06:00 AM.
Old 12-31-2013, 12:01 AM

If you are new to scotch try Lowlands, Highlands, and Speysides. Then move to islands, THEN Islays. The peat and iodine take a little getting used to, especially if you are used to bourbon.
Old 12-31-2013, 01:00 AM
ClubWhisky.com Member

I've tried Lagavulin 16 on two occasions. For me, it's just OK. The smokiness tends to overwhelm on my palate. I prefer Ardbeg Corryvreckan, which does a much better job of balancing the peat, smoke, and all the other flavors.

But, again, that's just me and my 2c.

Last edited by john_b; 12-31-2013 at 02:05 PM.
Old 03-10-2014, 07:17 PM

Yep, the price sounds right. I find it to be rather hot (alcohol burn) but it's 59% ABV I believe. To me it tastes like white lightning with a splash of bourbon in it. Let me know what you think of it.

Last edited by BoxcarBill; 03-11-2014 at 05:34 AM.
Old 03-27-2014, 06:28 AM

I like Lagavulin because it's really rich, full bodied and just a beefy malt. Satisfies all my boxes for when I need a big warming hug/wallup. It has a more tar, sherry wood intermingling than peat I'd say.

To me Lagavulin, Ardbeg, and most Laphroaig's are overall good expressions. There are a few I simply cannot stand like the regular Laphroaig 10yr. For some reason the lighter ABV really brings out this ash syrup note that I really hate. Tastes like the smell of burnt paper/cardboard.

Last edited by Islay Peat; 04-03-2014 at 10:18 AM.
Old 03-27-2014, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by masterj View Post
I like Lagavulin because it's really rich, full bodied and just a beefy malt. Satisfies all my boxes for when I need a big warming hug/wallup. It has a more tar, sherry wood intermingling than peat I'd say.

To me Lagavulin, Ardbeg, and most Laphroaig's are overall good expressions. There are a few I simply cannot stand like the regular Laphroaig 10yr. For some reason the lighter ABV really brings out this ash syrup note that I really hate. Tastes like the smell of burnt paper/cardboard.
Interestingly all the Lagavulin casks are 3rd fill. What is commonly perceived to be sherry influence is actually due to the European oak which is responsible for the 'sherry' flavours. It is nothing like American oak and the effect on whisky is totally different. The 1st and 2nd fill sherry casks at Lagavulin go into the Distillers Edition releases. The stills at Lagavulin are filled to 95% capacity which creates an 'oily' spirit.

Last edited by Islay Peat; 04-03-2014 at 10:19 AM.
Old 03-28-2014, 05:59 AM

To me the Laphroaig 10 has a cooked vegetables taste I don't particularly care for. The tongue licking the ashtray taste I can handle although it threw me (it was my 1st Islay) for about 10 minutes before I started to like it.
Is Laphroaig letting the barley sprout beyond the malt stage before smoking it?

Last edited by BoxcarBill; 03-29-2014 at 05:48 AM.
Old 03-28-2014, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petesmoke View Post
Interestingly all the Lagavulin casks are 3rd fill. What is commonly perceived to be sherry influence is actually due to the European oak which is responsible for the 'sherry' flavours. It is nothing like American oak and the effect on whisky is totally different. The 1st and 2nd fill sherry casks at Lagavulin go into the Distillers Edition releases. The stills at Lagavulin are filled to 95% capacity which creates an 'oily' spirit.
Looks like i made a slight mistake with this info. According to Ingvar Ronde "Bourbon hogsheads are used almost without exception". In Peat Smoke And Sprit Andrew Jefford quotes Lagavulin as "there is more or less no sherry used any more in Lagavulin". Perhaps the last few old European oak casks are making their way through the system at Lagavulin. The 250 litre casks first hold grain whisky for a few years, followed by a period of malt whisky, finally Lagavulin fills these casks as the 3rd fill.
Old 03-29-2014, 05:16 AM
ClubWhisky.com Moderator

Let's keep the thread focused on Lagavulin 16.
Old 04-02-2014, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petesmoke View Post

I agree about the Laphroaig 10 and the 'engine oil' flavours in Bowmore are not to everyone's taste.
Totally right. Yea sorry just didn't want to go into a complete explanation of what was actually responsible for the flavors but it was well documented that they "re-fashion" all their casks to look like sherry butts and are used many many times. It's a subject that was written about on the k&l spirits blog.
I've attached a link in case any members are interested in reading it.

http://spiritsjournal.klwines.com/kl...rs-lament.html
Old 05-10-2014, 02:51 PM

Lagavulin 16 is not for everybody. I personally love the stuff.
Last night I was continuing with my bottle of Yamazaki 12 and for some reason it was just coming across as a little to light. I then poured myself a dose of Lagavulin 16 and was totally impressed with the flavor, perfection in a glass.
I then had a glass of Corryvreckan. Wow, what a kick in the teeth with flavor and strength. Love it.
as far as Lagga 16 goes. Gave a glass of it to my brother a while back. He only drinks the cheap stuff at his local bars in Wi.
He said here you drink this - I don't like it.

Last edited by Islay Peat; 05-13-2014 at 07:07 AM. Reason: Oscar...
Old 06-07-2014, 09:53 AM

Agree with the comments on Corryvreckan, really has so much going on. Really takes you for a ride of flavors.
Old 06-09-2014, 10:17 AM
ClubWhisky.com Moderator

Finished the old one and opened a fresh bottle of Lagavulin 16 with a friend tonight, which was a great way to finish up our tasting session which included Crown Royal Reserve, Hakushu 10 and 12, and Ardbog.

Tags
lagavulin 16