ClubWhisky.com Forum - Questions About Whisky  

Go Back   ClubWhisky.com Forum - Questions About Whisky > All About Whisky! > Single Malt Scotch Whisky

Old 01-20-2016, 12:29 AM

Default New Here, My Collection So Far

Hello Malt lovers, I'm new to this site and pretty green to Single Malt Scotch as well. Im a quick learner though and here is a couple bottles I picked up recently.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Love love love the finish on the 'fiddich 15, I like it much more than the fiddich 12 and even better than the 18. I think they are on to something with the Solera way.

Highland Park 12. The burst on this is amazing for a 12 year, I bought it because I liked the HP Dark Origins sample I had so much. Come to find out the Dark Origins is non chill filtered and contains no coloring. I believe that its why I liked the DO so much, so I searched for an affordable non chill filtered SMS and found Ardbeg 10.
Im off to find a deal on the Ardbeg 10 and the HP Dark Origins!
Old 01-20-2016, 02:32 AM
ClubWhisky.com Moderator

I think a lot of us like the Glenfiddich 15 over the 18 but for Highland Park definitely the 18!

For Ardbeg the 10 is always great no matter how many others you fall in love with but you must absolutely go and find a bottle of Corryvreckan!
Old 01-20-2016, 04:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islay Peat View Post
I think a lot of us like the Glenfiddich 15 over the 18 but for Highland Park definitely the 18!

For Ardbeg the 10 is always great no matter how many others you fall in love with but you must absolutely go and find a bottle of Corryvreckan!
Thanks! I'll definitely look for the Corryvreckan. WOW 57.1 ABV
Old 01-20-2016, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXL View Post
Thanks! I'll definitely look for the Corryvreckan. WOW 57.1 ABV
If the Corry is a bit wild for you try some Uigeadail as a stepping stone. I can never get enough Ardbeg 10. An opened bottle never lasts long even when I'm drinking mostly other selections. It and Balvenie DoubleWood 12 are my house malts.
Old 01-20-2016, 06:45 PM
ClubWhisky.com Moderator

Bill always has the trifecta you see in his avatar on hand but I gave up on keeping Uigeadail around after discovering the Corrvreckan, so my personal Ardbeg lineup consists of it, 10 and Ardbog.

Just had a sip of the Corrvreckan to make sure and, yep, it's a must have. Make sure to exhale through your nose after drinking and the smoky goodness will last for a long time afterwards.
Old 01-20-2016, 09:26 PM

I decided to look for and purchase all the Ardbegs that I can find, even though I have plenty of other malts to try.I like the 10 that much, and I'm sure the other expressions are as good or better.

My local La Bodega has an Ardbeg called Perpetuum. Anyone have any experience with this particular expression?

http://www.labodegawine.com/r/produc...lery-perpetuum
Old 03-04-2016, 06:20 AM

What I'm wanting to know is ..... where are you guys finding Pint sized bottles here in the states? I live in Kentucky, and have had a heck of a time finding enough Balvenie to complete the collection I have started. The last time I was at my local liquor store I was able to purchase a complete "case" of 3 bottle sample packs, but I still can't find the Carribean Cask anywhere.

In retreat, I have resorted to sipping on my Blanton's Single Barrel Bourbon while I anxiously search for more bottles to complete my collection. Luckily, Blantons is a native brand of Sazerac which is 10 miles down the road from me here in Kentucky.
Old 03-04-2016, 06:52 AM

I opened the Talisker 10. Quite tasty, I like it better than the subdued Caol Ila 12. Followed it with a bit of Corry. I'm still sniffing the empty glencairn 45 mins later.
Old 03-05-2016, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxcarBill View Post
I opened the Talisker 10. Quite tasty, I like it better than the subdued Caol Ila 12. Followed it with a bit of Corry. I'm still sniffing the empty glencairn 45 mins later.
I did sort of the same last night, I had the Talisker 10 then followed it up with the Ardbeg 10. Not quite the same caliber as the Corry I assume but yeah the glencairn was smelling so nice after it was all gone.

Im thinking HP18 tonight and I cant wait to save my money for the Talisker 18 that Islay Peat mentioned was soooo good!
Old 03-07-2016, 06:03 AM
ClubWhisky.com Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXL View Post
I did sort of the same last night, I had the Talisker 10 then followed it up with the Ardbeg 10. Not quite the same caliber as the Corry I assume but yeah the glencairn was smelling so nice after it was all gone.

Im thinking HP18 tonight and I cant wait to save my money for the Talisker 18 that Islay Peat mentioned was soooo good!
I'm having a Dalwhinnie 15 right now and am glad I gave it another chance. It was one that I didn't like on the first try but have been really enjoying for the past couple months now.

I guess I'll have to try the Talisker 10 again seeing both of you guys seem to be liking it, but yeah, when you can get a bottle of the 18 and the Corryvreckan too, you won't forgive yourself for waiting!

Glad to see you already got yourself a Glencairn. I drug my feet about buying them and actually got one for $1 at the second hand store before deciding I had to get more.
Old 03-04-2016, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KYMountainMan View Post
What I'm wanting to know is ..... where are you guys finding Pint sized bottles here in the states? I live in Kentucky, and have had a heck of a time finding enough Balvenie to complete the collection I have started. The last time I was at my local liquor store I was able to purchase a complete "case" of 3 bottle sample packs, but I still can't find the Carribean Cask anywhere.

In retreat, I have resorted to sipping on my Blanton's Single Barrel Bourbon while I anxiously search for more bottles to complete my collection. Luckily, Blantons is a native brand of Sazerac which is 10 miles down the road from me here in Kentucky.
I am located in Jacksonville, FL. and I have the same issue finding the higher quality sample bottles. When it comes to the common spirits, such as Glenlivet, you can find a bottle here or there. The cheap mass-produced spirits are all over the place, but I've found that the only place with a good selection of sample bottles is my local Total Wine superstore. Do you have one of those in Kentucky?
Old 03-05-2016, 06:54 PM

I find all my mini samples from La Bodega or BevMo. I live in California though maybe either of those two stores are in your state.