ClubWhisky.com Forum - Questions About Whisky  

Go Back   ClubWhisky.com Forum - Questions About Whisky > All About Whisky! > Single Malt Scotch Whisky

Old 02-27-2016, 10:46 PM

Default New from Detroit

Hello,

I have been reading the forum for a few days now and decided to introduce myself, ask a question, and post a picture.

My name is Nick and I live in metro Detroit. I have always been a bourbon fan but absolutely despised Scotch based on 2 experiences that I have had. The first was way back in college doing shots of something that to me tasted almost exactly like dirt. I do not remember the name of that Scotch, but remember thinking I couldn't understand why people talked with such great esteem about something that tasted so awful. It was college so I'm quite sure it came from the bottom shelf. The second experience was with a blend called White Horse. It was at a friend's wedding and the best man brought it for right before the ceremony to calm the groom. He talked about it like it was the best thing since sliced bread. I had no idea it was cheap stuff, just that once again it tasted like dirt to me.

Fast forward a few years and I am building up a decent collection of bottles for my home bar and renovating a space to store them and decide that I will give Scotch one more chance. The only name I really know besides Johnnie Walker is The Macallan since it s featured prominently in the show Suits. So I give that a try. I buy the 12 year Sherry Oak bottling. I am amazed that it actually tastes like Whiskey to me. None of that earthyness that I had associated with Scotch in the past. I do some research and discover the different areas in Scotland and find out that it is a Highland (or Speyside, I'm still unclear with The Macallan) and that I must like that region. So I buy another bottle, this time The Macallan 10 year Fine Oak and find myself really enjoying that as well.

I'm going to take my time in this Highland region and eventually venture closer to the Islay region using "The Malt Map" that I found online. Aside from the 2 Macallans that I have tried, the Famous Grouse, Johnnie Black and a 4 100ml sampler of Glenmorangie I haven't had any others. I have an unopened bottle of The Balvenie 12 year Double Wood that isn't opened yet, but will be soon. Based on the fact that I am really enjoying the Macallan bottles can you offer up anything similar that will get me a little closer to the middle of the malt map? I figure if I dip my toes in slowly I can gradually get up to the Ardbegs and Laphroags in due time. I'm enjoying the journey so far.

I have also attached a picture of my modest bar collection as it stands now. Ignore the unfinished dry wall in the back.

Old 02-27-2016, 11:16 PM

I mostly have Island style whisky. Highland Park is my favorite, just found a new friend in Talisker and I enjoy my Ardbeg and Laphroaig. Only Speyside I have is a Glenfiddich 15 Solera expression and I think you might enjoy that dram, satisfying finish. The Glenmorangie Nector D'Or was a nice surprise for me and was a great dram and closest to a Mac(IMO) out of the whiskies Ive tried.
I'd open that Doublewood and give it shot, havent tried it myself but I always wanted too. Maybe you can do a mini review of it for me.
Old 02-27-2016, 11:42 PM

The Balvenie DW 12 is in my opinion one of the best bangs for the buck but it's price seems to be rising more than other malts.
I'm working on a Glenfarclas 12 which I don't think is quite as good as the DW 12 but another good buy for $50.
Sounds like peaty, smokey Scotch isn't your thing. Maybe as you try some mildly peat/smoke malt you'll take to it.

I drank Johnnie Walker Black many years ago then stopped drinking whisk(e)y entirely.
About 5 years ago I heard a few reports on Laphroaig 10 so decided to get a dose at a bar. At first I thought this wasn't for me but after 15 mins. I wanted more. JW black is now a complete waste of time.

Last edited by BoxcarBill; 02-27-2016 at 11:47 PM.
Old 02-28-2016, 01:47 AM
ClubWhisky.com Member

Macallan 12 sherry oak was my first good Scotch whisky, and it opened the door to further exploration for me. Enjoy the journey!