ClubWhisky.com Forum - Questions About Whisky  

Go Back   ClubWhisky.com Forum - Questions About Whisky > All About Whisky! > Single Malt Scotch Whisky

Old 02-26-2016, 02:29 AM

Default How Can I Purchase 'Premium' in a 'No Ship' State?

I'm a new guy from Kentucky, and ran across an issue today when trying to purchase a 21 Yr. Macallan from an online retailer today. They wouldn't let me purchase it, because I am in a 'No Ship' state.

After digging around the net a little I found that Kentucky doesn't allow spirits to be shipped to private consumers who reside in this state, because they have legislation in place that protects the State's Bourbon Industry.

Is there any way for a private party to purchase online and have it shipped? I have a cooperating liquor store that would allow it to be shipped to them, if that helps.

Thanks
Old 02-26-2016, 01:46 PM
ClubWhisky.com Member

Not knowing Kentucky's alcohol regulations, I'll ask a question: can the cooperative liquor store order it from their distributors?

Do you have any relatives or friends in neighboring states that would let you have it shipped to them?

Kentucky does seem to be locked down a little tighter than many states. Even Master of Malt won't ship to Kentucky.
Old 02-28-2016, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by john_b View Post
Not knowing Kentucky's alcohol regulations, I'll ask a question: can the cooperative liquor store order it from their distributors?

Do you have any relatives or friends in neighboring states that would let you have it shipped to them?

Kentucky does seem to be locked down a little tighter than many states. Even Master of Malt won't ship to Kentucky.
I didn't think about having relatives order for me. My mother lives 60 miles north, in Indiana. I'll just have her order it.

Thanks for helping me think outside the box.

Kentucky is VERY restrictive on alcohol sales, and we don't have ABC stores like some states do! I think the bourbon industry have lobbyists in the Kentucky Legislature preventing bills from passing that would hinder their monopoly on the Bourbon / Spirits markets in Kentucky.
Old 03-19-2016, 01:54 AM

This is a widespread problem! "Control state" b.s. (I live in one, I don't know if Kentucky is another) is an ongoing pain in the ass for lovers of fine spirits - a very bad result of the 21st Amendment
Old 03-19-2016, 01:30 PM
ClubWhisky.com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son-o'-the-Sod(?) View Post
"Control state" b.s. (I live in one, I don't know if Kentucky is another) is an ongoing pain in the ass for lovers of fine spirits - a very bad result of the 21st Amendment
Our state control allows for a special order process, but the problem is that you have to buy the entire case. For example, if I order a bottle of Tun 1509, that product ships in a case of 3. If it was available, I would have to buy the case. Over $1,000 for the case, when all I want is one bottle! My pockets aren't that deep.

I bought a single bottle in another state, while traveling.

I've been pestering my state congressmen for over a year about this very thing. One state rep referred my emails to our local ABC Board, which got me a meeting with that board. The chairman saw my point, and agreed that the local board should have the autonomy to buy a case if the board so chooses, sell a single bottle to the person that placed the special order, and assume the liability of selling the rest of the case. So far, the state is holding firm to its antiquated special order process.