ClubWhisky.com Forum - Questions About Whisky  

Go Back   ClubWhisky.com Forum - Questions About Whisky > All About Whisky! > Single Malt Scotch Whisky

Old 01-02-2017, 09:48 AM

Unhappy Cragganmore 12 Notably Changed When 1/3 Full

Hi all,
About 2 months ago I've purchased a bottle of Cragganmore 12. It's a lovely dram, and the smell is pleasant in particular.
This weekend my wife and I wanted to have another Cragganmore dram. The bottle was about 1/3 full.
To our surprise, the whisky was flat and lifeless. It had only faded, distant memories of what it had about a month ago. It just tasted like a boring spirit, and most of its qualities have vanished.
The bottle was always closed and in its original box. It was left in the cabinet (dark) at room temperature (quite cool these days).
I know bottles of whisky can oxidize and change over time, but I think the change I've experienced with this particular bottle was far too rapid and extreme.

Have you ever had such an experience?
Is there something wrong with the drink, or the way I was keeping it?

Thanks
Old 01-02-2017, 05:17 PM
ClubWhisky.com Member

I've not personally had a whisky degrade that fast. I've read that some whiskies are more prone to rapid degradation than others, but this still seems rather quick, even at 2/3 air in the bottle.

It doesn't sound like anything is wrong with how you kept the bottle. If your method of storage is the problem, then I'm in big trouble!

Could it possibly have been something you and your wife had for dinner? I know food has a definite impact on my taste.
Old 01-02-2017, 06:56 PM

Thanks for your replay, john_b.
I wish it had been a momentary degradation, but alas - it was not. I've smelled and tasted the whisky again twice since then, just to make sure, and the result was the same - good ol' Cragganmore was gone. In fact, I don't know what to do with what's left. Don't feel like drinking it anymore.
Old 01-03-2017, 12:15 AM

I've never had a whisky go downhill that quickly, in fact I think most malt whiskys are at their peak at about 2 months after opening.
A friend had a Lagavulin 16 that had been open and about half full for about 3 years. I was surprised it was still quite good then.
I had some Glengoyne 17 that was about 4 years in an opened bottle about 1/4 full and it was unbelievably bad. I couldn't drink it.
Old 01-03-2017, 01:12 AM
ClubWhisky.com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nortagem View Post
Thanks for your replay, john_b.
I wish it had been a momentary degradation, but alas - it was not. I've smelled and tasted the whisky again twice since then, just to make sure, and the result was the same - good ol' Cragganmore was gone. In fact, I don't know what to do with what's left. Don't feel like drinking it anymore.
That leads me to wonder if possibly the cork was defective, and let the whisky get a little air constantly. It wouldn't take much defect.
Old 01-06-2017, 10:00 PM

I've had whisky taste great . . . and not so good a month later . . . and great again a month after that. I think that is more of a function of my taste buds than a fault of the Scotch.

A lot of things can come into play. Do I have a cold? Have I taken any medicine?

I also notice a big difference in the taste of Scotch depending on what I have eaten beforehand. For example, if I have eaten heavily spiced Mexican food then it does me no good to drink a shot of Scotch that night. Tequila yes. Scotch no.
Old 01-08-2017, 05:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfspencer View Post
Tequila yes.
http://www.oaksliquors.com/product_images/img_411_1.jpg

Tags
cragganmore, oxidation