ClubWhisky.com Forum - Questions About Whisky  

Go Back   ClubWhisky.com Forum - Questions About Whisky > All About Whisky! > Single Malt Scotch Whisky

Old 12-23-2010, 04:20 AM
Jay29

Default Where Can I Buy Samples???

Would like to try samples of single malts before I spring for a bottle. I pulled the trigger on Highland Park 12 year old and love it. Would like to try smokier peatier single malts but would like a little sample first.....Where can I order samples?
Old 12-23-2010, 10:34 AM

Nearly all major malts bottlers, and some smaller ones, sell miniatures and that's really the only way you can get "samples" as no-one I've heard of will sell a sample as such
Old 12-23-2010, 02:58 PM
ClubWhisky.com Admin

You can also buy samples / miniatures here:

http://www.masterofmalt.com/drinks-by-the-dram/
Old 12-23-2010, 04:13 PM

A bar? Just saying, as that is where I get to try "samples" of whiskies before I buy a bottle. We have a cigar bar that specializes in Scotch whisky, and they have a NICE selection to choose from. Expensive, but much cheaper than a bottle.
Old 12-23-2010, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jojo View Post
You can also buy samples / miniatures here:

http://www.masterofmalt.com/drinks-by-the-dram/
I'll second the MOM program. I've ordered some of their sample
bottles for shipping to the USA and had no problems. Both times
the bottles were packaged well and shipped promptly. A great
way to "try before you buy", especially if you don't have a nearby
bar that offers a good selection, as in jwise's case.
Old 12-24-2010, 04:11 PM
ClubWhisky.com Moderator

I had no idea that MOM could would even try to send samples to the US. Great tip. There are plenty of Whiskys I would love to sample, even if getting a bottle is problematic.
Cheers and Happy Holidays!

AUDENTES FORTUNA IUVAT
十人十色
"Chill out, it's just a whisky forum."
Old 12-24-2010, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverfish View Post
I've ordered some of their sample bottles for shipping to the USA and had no problems.
And away I go to order some up! Hmmm.... What to get....

I had NO idea they would sell/ship to the US!
Old 12-25-2010, 05:51 AM

Just finished placing an order for 3cl sample bottles with Master of Malt! Here's what I ordered:

Glenfarclas 105
Glenfarclas 15 Year Old
Springbank 15 Year Old
Glenmorangie Quinta Ruban
Glenmorangie Nectar D'Or
Glenmorangie Sonnalta PX
Johnnie Walker Blue Label
Johnnie Walker Gold Label 18 Year Old
Balvenie Signature 12 Year Old
Balvenie Madeira Cask 17 Year Old

I've had a few of the above whiskies, but I either can't remember them (Nectar D'Or), or I had them after I had already had a couple drinks and didn't get a really good "taste."

I was hoping to find some different offerings, but these will be a good first order!
Old 12-28-2010, 06:28 AM

Smile

Ahoy! Greetings & Sláintetions!

I've been brought to this board by way of the Master Of Malt retail site, being very intrigued by the 30ml "Drinks By The Dram" offerings.... And here I was about to make a new topic! But I guess I can still leave it a bit introductory....

To make a long story short: I've been working for the local wine & spirits store for over a year now and having spent, by now (post last calculation), easily over $700 in Single Malts alone. While I know this is nothing compared to the tally that others have (I have to guess that most have lost track!), I must mention that I'm merely a young laddie still struggling to make it is this silly world. That being said - with the slim job-perks aside - I want more... But it's so hard to afford!

And so... My main questions revolve around the quality & construction of the bottles. Are the cork? Screw kap? If so, is there any material under the lid; like a paper or plasic seal?

I also wonder about your overall opinion of what you got compared to price payed and anticipated full-bottle price. Do you think your purchase was worth it?

Another idle question would be if you decided to have the full 30ml dram in one sitting or if you sampled a few drops or so & intend to keep the malts around in order to return to them & refresh your memory (as I imagine I will - hence my question about the bottles)?

My list! Just a click away (awaiting some of your thoughts & permission to have it shipped to my work):

1. Edradour 2003 Port Cask Matured (SO close to scrapping this whole idea & ordering a bottle of this - I'm also a Port lover.)
2. Compass Box The Peat Monster (Actually made it to the shelf at the store, though I never saw who bought it or heard about it.)
3. Glenmorangie Quinta Ruban (The Lasanta is might nice, with sherry-raisin floating on top The Original, but I'm all-too-anxious to try this.)
4. Glenfiddich 18 Year Old Ancient Reserve (15 is my dram of the evening, 12 is a bar staple, 18 remains a mystery!)
5. Kilchoman Summer 2010 Release (Hard to resist a sample of a new release!)
6. Laphroaig Quarter Cask (Mmmmmmmmmm... Laphroaig.)
7. Talisker 57° North (I sampled a Talisker early on in my tastings & recall that it was my favorite in the collection, but the leash on my bank keeps me from getting a full bottle.)
8. The Macallan 10 Year Old Fine Oak (I love a good Oaking, be it Chardonnay, Tequila, or Scotch! Sampled this during a Scotch class at our store.)
9. The Glenlivet 12 Year Old (Alas... Mainly for reference.)
10. Clynelish 14 Year Old (I hear is a wonderful malt! Part of the Classic Collection, I've sold a couple but never sampled.)
11. Isle Of Jura 10 Year Old (Also on our shelf; It's a go-to for a customer, but I'm resisting for some reason. The idea of buying a Jura is actually what took me on this little whisky crusade.)
12. Glenkinchie 12 Year Old (Another in Diageo's Classic Collection that I've sold but never sampled.)

All of these were under £4... My total will be roughly $75.60....

.... That bottle of Edradour is looking mighty fine........
Old 12-28-2010, 04:31 PM

The Glenlivet 12y is easy enough to find in a 250mL around here, so if I had any desire to own a bottle/sample, I'd just get that bottle. I understand with your point about wanting it for "reference". I don't remember what it tastes like, just that I don't like it. When doing some tastings (comparisons), it would be nice to set a baseline.

In my anxiousness, I accidentally bought a bottle of Balvenie 12yr Signature, after ordering the 3cl sample! Oh well... I should have printed off the list of samples I ordered and carried it with me to the store.

I will receive my samples on Jan. 10th, so if no one else replies with their experience, I'll come back and let you know how they are packaged/shipped.
Old 12-31-2010, 10:03 PM

haven't ordered from MOM but definitely considering it.

you will NOT go wrong in ordering Edradour. they are Scotland's smallest distillery and they don't export to the US (at least that is what they told us on the tour). their scotch is quite good!
Old 01-01-2011, 04:34 AM

I've found through email correspondence that there is a screw cap under that wax seal... So, I'm going to go for it.

As soon as my funds get transfered to paypal: I think this will be my final order...

Edradour 2003 Port Cask Matured, Compass Box Orangerie, Glengoyne 10, Clynelish 14, Isle Of Jura 10, & Laphroaig Quarter Cask
Old 01-01-2011, 11:40 PM
ClubWhisky.com Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animadversior View Post
I've found through email correspondence that there is a screw cap under that wax seal... So, I'm going to go for it.

As soon as my funds get transfered to paypal: I think this will be my final order...

Edradour 2003 Port Cask Matured, Compass Box Orangerie, Glengoyne 10, Clynelish 14, Isle Of Jura 10, & Laphroaig Quarter Cask
You can get some of those in the US (Jura, CB, & Qtr Cask, at least). No need to risk ordering overseas.
Cheers. BTW, I despise Orangerie. I love all 3 Grand Marniers, so it seemed like a sure thing. It tastes like mixing GM into scotch, but not that good.
Just my 2 cents.

AUDENTES FORTUNA IUVAT
十人十色
Old 01-01-2011, 11:56 PM
ClubWhisky.com Moderator

Sorry, just remembered you were discussing samples, not full bottles!
Cheers!

AUDENTES FORTUNA IUVAT
十人十色
Old 01-06-2011, 03:11 AM

Well... I did it. Though the final order was as follows:

Edradour 2003 Port Cask Matured
Compass Box Oak Cross
Glengoyne 10
Clynelish 14
Laphroaig Quarter Cask
Cameronbridge 1995 Single Grain Collection (Signatory)

Anxiously awaiting my order!
Old 01-06-2011, 06:37 PM

I got my shipment in from Masters of Malt. On the whole, I'm pleased, but I'll need to make an inquiry about one of the (sample) bottles. But I'm getting ahead of myself. The shipment came in a brown box, clearly labeled "FRAGILE", which I appreciated.

The packing INSIDE the box, however, is what impressed me so much. The bottles were wrapped in bubble wrap, and then inserted into a very rigid inflated packing tube.

When I pulled out the packing tube, I smelled the distinct aroma of whisky. Not good. The end of the tube opens up, and the inside of the tube was damp.

I quickly saw the source of the wetness: a half-empty bottle of Johnnie Walker Gold Label 18yr. I guess it could be worse, it could have been the Blue!
Old 01-06-2011, 06:38 PM

(I'm limited to only 4 pictures per post, so I am breaking this up)

Here's the lineup:

Here's a closeup of the Gold Label:

There is a split in the wax seal, right at the cap line. You can see it in this picture.

The good news is that the bottle doesn't leak continuously, so putting it on its side didn't result in any loss of fluid. I suppose it took some time for the liquid to have leaked out.

Some of the labels faired a little better than others, but they all got a little moisture damage.

Johnnie Walker Gold and Blue:
Old 01-06-2011, 06:39 PM

Glenfarclas 15yr and 105:

Glenmorangie Nectar D'Or, Quinta Ruban and Sonnalta PX:

Balvenie 17yr Madeira and 12yr Signature:

Last but not least, Springbank 15yr (my first Campbelltown!):
Old 01-07-2011, 05:01 PM
ClubWhisky.com Admin

Exclamation

What a great line up! Please be sure to contact Master of Malt to let them know about the breakage. Also, send them this link w/ the photos.
Old 01-07-2011, 05:04 PM

Sorry to hear of the problem jwise. Like you I was very impressed
with the packaging but didn't experience any problems with my orders.
I did notice when opening the small bottles that the wax seal would
"turn" when I tried to twist off the cap on some of my samples so
if this occurs often enough, maybe MOM could double check the
caps before wax sealing.
Old 01-07-2011, 06:43 PM
ClubWhisky.com Admin

Quote:
Sorry to hear of the problem jwise. Like you I was very impressed
with the packaging but didn't experience any problems with my orders.
I did notice when opening the small bottles that the wax seal would
"turn" when I tried to twist off the cap on some of my samples so
if this occurs often enough, maybe MOM could double check the
caps before wax sealing.
Thanks Silverfish for letting us all know - I will pass along your feedback to Master of Malt.
Old 01-07-2011, 09:45 PM

Hi jwise,

Jojo has passed the link to this thread onto me. We're terribly sorry for your broken dram. As you can see from the fragile tape we do try to take as many precautions as we can, however sometimes the couriers can be extremely rough with the parcels especially when they're travelling overseas.

If you haven't already please do contact our customer services to let them know. We'd be happy to replace any of the drams you weren't completely satisfied with (even if it's only the label that is damaged). We'll even include a little something extra as an apology.

Rest assured in the majority of occasions drams arrive safe and sound as I see has happened with Silverfish. That's great! Thanks for your feedback on the lids. I have passed it on to the directors and we will look into possible solutions.

If either of you have any further feedback or questions please feel free to contact me directly. I have included my contact details below.

Our apologies once again and have a superb weekend,

Natalie - Master of Malt
.................................................. ........................
Email: natalie@masterofmalt.com
Customer service email: contactus@masterofmalt.com
Customer service telephone: +44 (0)1892 888 376
Old 01-08-2011, 12:51 AM

I contacted MOM and they have already sent me an email indicating that they have shipped a replacement. I felt bad, as the shipping is going to cost more than the dram! I almost wanted to add a couple new ones to the order, just to make the shipping "worth it." I didn't, as I didn't want them to think I was taking advantage of them...

I have tasted the Quinta Ruban, and found it lacking compared to the older Glenmorangie Port Wood Finish. The others are still under seal, waiting on the proper time for a decent 'tasting!'
Old 01-12-2011, 05:27 AM

My replacement sample of Gold Label arrived today! Perfect shipping and perfect packing. Thanks, MOM!

(Look at those empty spaces... I should have bought a few more, just to fill the box!)
Old 01-12-2011, 05:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master of Malt View Post
We'd be happy to replace any of the drams you weren't completely satisfied with (even if it's only the label that is damaged). We'll even include a little something extra as an apology.
Well, somehow I missed this posting. Thank you so much for your responsiveness. Your customer service department already responded quickly to resolve the issue, much to your credit. I just can't wait until you expand the "Drinks By The Dram" (DBTD) program to include a wider variety of currently available bottlings. I like the older/rarer stuff, but I'm still trying to get through the currently available expressions from active distilleries.
Old 01-12-2011, 06:59 AM

I am so happy with the service from Master of Malt, that I just placed my second order with them!

Here's what I'm getting next:

Compass Box Oak Cross 3cl Sample
Compass Box Spice Tree 3cl Sample
Glenrothes 15 Year Old 1994 - Un-Chillfiltered (Signatory) 3cl Sample
Glenrothes 15 Year Old - Duthies (WM Cadenhead) 3cl Sample
Glenrothes 33 Year Old 1972 - Cask Strength Collection (Signatory) 3cl Sample
Glenrothes 32 Year Old 1975 - Old Malt Cask (Douglas Laing) 3cl Sample
Glengoyne 10 Year Old 3cl Sample
Mannochmore 18 Year Old 1990 3cl Sample
Caol Ila 18 Year Old 3cl Sample
Balvenie Rum Cask Finish 17 Year Old 3cl Sample
Bruichladdich 21 Year Old Oloroso Cask Finish 3cl Sample
Highland Park 25 Year Old 3cl Sample
Yamazaki Sherry Cask 3cl Sample
The Macallan 10 Year Old Fine Oak 3cl Sample
Clynelish 14 Year Old 3cl Sample
Caol Ila Natural Cask Strength 3cl Sample

I've heard a lot about the new blends coming from Compass Box. I can't wait to try them and see what they are all about. Obviously I ordered everything from Glenrothes I could find! I love that distillery. JoJo- I ordered the Glengoyne 10 for you. I figure if you say good things about it, at the very least I should TRY it. The others are whiskies I have been looking at for a while, but didn't want to pay bottle price for and couldn't find a miniature. The Mac 10 will be my first Fine Oak series. I figure I ought to try at least one from that line. The others were cask strength sherried whiskies (most first-fill sherry butts) which sounds just divine to me!

Thanks, MOM for providing this great service!

Last edited by jwise; 01-12-2011 at 07:04 AM.
Old 01-12-2011, 03:27 PM

Nice!

I have brought 2 times with MOM, and yesterday I made my 3rd purchase!

Glenfarclas 15 Year Old
Glengoyne 10 Year Old
Nikka Pure Malt White
Kilchoman Summer 2010 Release
Clynelish 14 Year Old

Coincidentally we ordered the Glengoyne 10 and Clynelish 14!

Theus
Old 01-12-2011, 05:56 PM
ClubWhisky.com Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwise View Post
JoJo- I ordered the Glengoyne 10 for you. I figure if you say good things about it, at the very least I should TRY it.
What a fantastic order! OK, so just remember, when I first tried Glengoyne 10yo, I actually wasn't too impressed. The bottle was put away and put in the back of a cabinet. Only when I "re-discovered" a long time later, it became one of my "very reasonably priced" favorites. Which is why I say, "Never judge a scotch by your first taste."
Old 01-13-2011, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jojo View Post
What a fantastic order! OK, so just remember, when I first tried Glengoyne 10yo, I actually wasn't too impressed. The bottle was put away and put in the back of a cabinet. Only when I "re-discovered" a long time later, it became one of my "very reasonably priced" favorites. Which is why I say, "Never judge a scotch by your first taste."
I'll be sure to make that 3cl sample last as long as possible, tasting it over a bit of time! I'll try to wait a little while before I write any review on it.
Old 01-18-2011, 01:51 AM

Still waiting for my order that was suppose to be here on the 15th...

I hope there wasn't any problem with it being shipped to New York State....
Old 01-18-2011, 05:33 AM

I just got an email stating that three of the samples I ordered are not available:

Glenrothes 32yo 1975 – Old Malt Cask
Macallan 10yo Fine Oak
Yamazaki Sherry Cask

The only one I am really upset about is the Glenrothes independent bottling.
Old 01-18-2011, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animadversior View Post
Still waiting for my order that was suppose to be here on the 15th...

I hope there wasn't any problem with it being shipped to New York State....
NY shouldn't be a problem for you - I had no trouble receiving mine.
My guess is now that you've mentioned it, the order will show up shortly.
Old 01-19-2011, 03:58 AM

After chatting with a friend who has USPS connections, I've found out that - due to BOMBS, of all things (eek!) - there have been some issues with shipments to the US from the UK.

While Royal Mail is telling me that my postmarked 1/11/01 parcel "has been passed to the overseas postal service for delivery in UNITED STATES OF AMERICA" - My USPS connection has confirmed that it has yet to even be scanned by the USPS. (And indeed, after learning that it's an international tracking number, the USPS tracker says "We have received notice that the originating post is preparing to dispatch this mail piece.")

Which means my samples are sitting around with a bunch of other packages waiting to be cleared... But why did jwise get his package BEFORE his anticipated delivery date? His order took approximately 12-13 days... That applied to my order would make my delivery around the 17th or 18th. Perhaps MoM jumped the gun with January 15?
Old 01-19-2011, 06:00 AM

I don't know, but this Master of Malt online whisky ordering is going to be the death of me! I recently tasted the Glenfarclas 15yr, and just about flipped out. It was FANTASTIC! Unfortunately, it is not available in the U.S. I knew the only way I was going to get more was to place another order from overseas. Well, with shipping, it just didn't make any sense to order just one bottle. As I added bottles to the order, the shipping cost barely went up. There have been a number of various bottles I have been looking for, and as the shipping cost was spread out, I finally just did it. I just made another order...

Glenfarclas 15 Year Old
Glenfarclas 15 Year Old Box Set (includes samples of the 21yr & 25yr)
Glenrothes 30 Year Old - The MacPhail's Collection (Gordon and MacPhail)
Highland Park 1997 - Cask Strength (Gordon and MacPhail)
Glendronach 15 Year Old Revival
Old 01-22-2011, 07:29 AM

I received my notification today that my second order of samples is ready to be picked up at the post office. This is great news, except for the fact that the post office is closed until Monday! Grrrr! At least I have something to look forward to about Monday!
Old 01-30-2011, 10:50 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to HP12
Default Mini Me

What a great online resource. Now I know where to turn for mini's. TY jojo!

JW, how's the taste testing going? How much was shipping? Thx!

https://www.lfw.co.uk/diageo/flavourmap.html
Old 01-30-2011, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP12 View Post

JW, how's the taste testing going? How much was shipping? Thx!
Its coming along quite nicely. I am posting all of my reviews on my profile page HERE. I am trying not to clutter up this forum with all of my reviews.

Shipping is not cheap (₤21 for sixteen samples), but it is coming out to be around $8-10 a sample (including shipping), which is in line with what it would cost at a whisky bar for a pour. This way, I get to sample them at my convenience, at my home, one at a time. While it isn't "cheap", it is far cheaper than buying whole bottles. For instance, I found that the 33yr Glenrothes cask strength was not to my liking, which was a huge surprise to me. It would have cost over $180 to find that out if I had to buy a whole bottle!

Last edited by jwise; 01-30-2011 at 11:46 PM.
Old 01-31-2011, 12:52 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to HP12

JW, Thx for sharing the shipping info and for sharing your profile page! Can't beat an experimental dram or two or...in the friendly confines of our homes.

https://www.lfw.co.uk/diageo/flavourmap.html
Old 02-01-2011, 12:32 AM

Default Got 'em!

Finally came in a few days ago... I could only get them today because of work & the weekend...

Wow. I've smelled them all & so far have tasted the Oak Cross which I didn't find to be all that exciting, though it was nice... Second up & current (after a good time inbetween) is Glengoyne... Holy cow! There's a sort of spice there... A sweet & tangy kind of spice. The color red jumps to my mind... Almost like an indian spice or something... Remarkable!
Old 02-07-2011, 04:02 PM

Wow, I have to get on this today! Thank you so much for finding and telling us about ordering samples. This will make my blogging efforts far more affordable.

Nothing beats a side by side comparison.

But I have found a limit to how many you can try before you start forgetting or the flavors begin to muddle.
Old 02-12-2011, 09:31 PM

Another place to check - The Whisky Exchange.
(click "type" on left hand side to limit results)

These are 5cl miniatures and appear to be the smaller "airplane bottles".
I have not ordered from TWE so I can't comment on their service but
thought I'd mention them as an alternative in the event MoM doesn't
offer a sample of something you'd like to try.
Old 02-14-2011, 03:12 PM

I just ordered several samples from Master of Malt's Drink by the Dram. I'll let ya'll know how it turns out. There for reviews on my blog, yay!

I'll have to check out the Whiskey Exchange next.
Old 03-23-2011, 03:35 AM

Question Suggestions needed

Hello - My son has recently developed an interest in Scotch, thanks mostly to a new friend from England. I would like to put together a gift set of the sample bottles for him for his birthday. My problem is I have NO knowledge of Scotch or which ones to order. Also, I don't know the currency conversion rate. Just how much are these little bottles each anyway? I've been reading this site and it seems that MOM would be the best place to order from.

If anyone could make some suggestions about which ones to put into his little gift box I'd really appreciate it. Also, any additional suggestions would be welcome.

Thanks so much.

Theresa
Old 03-24-2011, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by metejt View Post
Hello - My son has recently developed an interest in Scotch, thanks mostly to a new friend from England. I would like to put together a gift set of the sample bottles for him for his birthday. My problem is I have NO knowledge of Scotch or which ones to order. Also, I don't know the currency conversion rate. Just how much are these little bottles each anyway? I've been reading this site and it seems that MOM would be the best place to order from.
For currency conversion, I use XE.

As far as ordering, assuming you want it to be a surprise, maybe
try one or two from each region (Lowland, Highland, Islay, Speyside,
Campbeltown). Or sneak a peek at what your son is drinking and
post the name here - maybe someone can suggest some similar bottles.
Old 04-18-2011, 05:32 PM

Default Samples

Hi everyone, it sounds like you're really enjoying our Drinks By the Dram Range (which is what it was designed for!).

Animadversior, I'm sorry for the delay with your order. Not knowing the details of this particular order I obviously can't say why, but it does look like it may have been delayed by the postal service entering the US. Please rest assured that delays to parcels (even overseas ones) are rare, and please feel confident to order with us again.

Metejt, I'm sure you have probably already found some lovely samples on our site, but for future (or anyone else who is not sure what to buy someone) we recommend our Tasting Sets (http://www.masterofmalt.com/dram-sets/) as they make a nice gift - especially the 'Whiskies of the World' one and the 'Regions of Scotland' one if you're not sure what the recipient likes, as they cover a wide range of flavours.

Our customer service chaps are always happy to take your calls/emails, whether it be suggesting whiskies or tracking parcels, so if you ever have a question don't hesitate to contact us! If you just fancy some tips or a quick chat you can also find us on our Twitter (@masterofmalt) and Facebook (/masterofmalt) pages.

Take care and have a lovely week everyone,
Master of Malt

I hope that helps!
Old 07-21-2011, 12:15 AM

Default Curious about samples

I have never ordered samples but have ordered miniatures. Just out of curiosity, do those of you whom have ordered samples find the portion size satisfying and sufficient to fully taste the scotch?
Old 01-11-2013, 08:33 PM
Administrator & Owner ClubWhisky.com

I remember reading this post some time back. What a great resource. I'm making this a sticky for awhile.
Old 01-12-2013, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael View Post
What a great resource. I'm making this a sticky for awhile.
Unfortunately, the timing is a bit bad since some UK shippers
are experiencing problems:

"New aviation transport regulations are making it very difficult
to ship outside the UK and Europe at the moment..."

Old 01-12-2013, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Unfortunately, the timing is a bit bad since some UK shippers
are experiencing problems:

"New aviation transport regulations are making it very difficult
to ship outside the UK and Europe at the moment..."

I just had a bottle shipped to me just a couple days ago, went through fine.

They wrote souvenier glassware on the form though
Old 01-12-2013, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snikt View Post
I just had a bottle shipped to me just a couple days ago, went through fine.

They wrote souvenier glassware on the form though
I don't think the description on customs form was the problem.

According to this piece over at WI, Royal Mile Whiskies reports:

"The Civil Aviation Authority is stopping the transport of high alcohol
products in non-freight aeroplanes, as they are now classing these
liquids as ‘dangerous goods’.

"We are currently evaluating alternative solutions, but this is a complex
issue and will take some time. As such Royal Mile Whiskies are to suspend
shipping to North America as of the 8th January 2013 until further notice."

I read elsewhere that RMW was using Royal Mail for its shipments and
that is where they ran into trouble. Shipments using couriers such as
FedEx, DHL, et al may not be affected but if you go to the MoMalt site
and check the Delivery page, they are not currently shipping to USA.
Old 02-07-2013, 04:59 PM

Looks like MoM has resumed shipping to US.
Old 02-07-2013, 08:32 PM
Administrator & Owner ClubWhisky.com

Quote:
Thanks for the update. Nice to know.
Old 02-23-2013, 12:32 PM
ClubWhisky.com Moderator

Quote:
I think I'll be soon filling an order with them.
Old 02-26-2013, 10:53 PM

Default Sites which offer samples / miniatures

Scanning through this thread, I see numerous references to Master of Malt, one reference to The Whisky Exchange, and an askance mention of Royal Mile Whiskies.

Given the thread's topic, I thought it useful to consolidate some links and comments:

Master of Malt samples: http://www.masterofmalt.com/
The Whisky Exchange miniatures: http://www.thewhiskyexchange.com/
Whisky Samples: http://http://whiskysamples.flyingcart.com/index.php
Royal Mile Whiskies: http://www.royalmilewhiskies.com/

I've spent over a couple thousand dollars (I'm USA) ordering from Master of Malt, The Whisky Exchange, and Whisky Samples. I've not ordered (yet?) from Royal Mile Whiskies. Most of my purchases have been from Master of Malt.

The first three sites accept credit card and PayPal, and perhaps other options. Royal Mile Whiskies appears to only accept credit cards. Also, currently (February 2013) Royal Mile appears to be unable to ship to the US, but that sort of thing can change---if you're US, check here.

Reading this thread, you can tell that Master of Malt does well in this category. I heartily agree. They have a lot and they delivery quickly. I also just generally prefer their site: it's laid out well, easy to navigate, easy to understand. I wish they offered slightly larger samples, say, 5 cl, but, eh, they don't. 'Tis what it is. I've ordered probably a dozen regular (70 cl) bottles and perhaps two dozen 3 cl samples. They're great.

The Whisky Exchange has offerings that Master of Malt does not have, and all their samples are actual miniatures (5 cl) from the distillers. I understand that some folks are collectors of miniatures; personally, I'd rather drink than collect! I'm not as fond of the Whisky Exchange website, but I've ordered from them a couple of times. The Whisky Exchange shipping fees (as of January 2013---my last order with them) are much steeper than Master of Malt, so watch out!

Whisky Samples is also affiliated with The Bonding Dram though I'm not exactly sure how. The site is tougher to browse than the other two sites, but I ordered a half dozen 3 cl bottles in December 2012. Delivery at that point was pretty slow, but maybe was due to the holiday season. Their shipping was reasonable---probably no more than Master of Malt---but I haven't actually compared apples to apples. They have some things Master of Malt doesn't, so they are worth considering.

All said, all three sites were pleasant enough to order from. However, if what I wanted was available on all three sites, I'd almost certainly pick Master of Malt. Still, I think each site offers something unique.

At this point, I have no experience with Royal Mile Whiskies. The site offers miniatures, akin to The Whisky Exchange, but they appear to have less selection. Do an advanced search on 0.05 liters (5cl). The web site claims to have more miniatures available in their actual store in Scotland.

Hope I've added something useful to this thread!
Old 05-16-2013, 08:08 AM
limark

You can buy it online..
Old 05-16-2015, 07:16 AM

yes you can , there is a smaller bottle one.
Old 07-08-2015, 07:24 PM
ClubWhisky.com Admin

Arrow Buy whisky, bourbon & whisky samples here!

Hey there everyone! Just wanted to remind all that you can purchase whisky, bourbon, whiskey and other spirits - including samples - right here on ClubWhisky.com!

Here's the link!

Got questions? Need help? Let us know!

Last edited by Jojo; 07-08-2015 at 07:28 PM.

Tags
samples