ClubWhisky.com Forum - Questions About Whisky  

Go Back   ClubWhisky.com Forum - Questions About Whisky > All About Whisky! > Whisky Blends

Old 01-13-2009, 06:27 AM
Kindred

Default How long does whisky last once opened?

I have a screw top bottle with some whisky and was wondering how long it will last once opened? I keep it in the fridge not sure why maybe because its summer and i subconciously wanna keep everything cold.

Also if i keep it in a decanter will it last the same anmount of time?
Old 01-13-2009, 04:57 PM
ClubWhisky.com Admin

Hey there Kindred - great question you have - one that seems to draw different conclusions. Some say to drink it within a few years, some say in less than 15. It's not that it goes 'bad' so to say, it just may lose flavor if air seeps into the bottle or if it's exposed to extremes of temperatures.

My suggestion to you is to always keep it tightly sealed, keep it in a cabinet so it's not exposed to light and also keep it in the presentation box. That might be a bit too much keeping it in the box, but what's the harm? I'm not so sure it's necessary to keep it in the fridge - just keep it in a cool, dark place. I have an 18 year Glenlivet which was purchased more than 6 years ago and I have not noticed any change of taste.

As for keeping it in a decanter - the chances of air seeping in are so much greater. So while I'm sure it's a great presentation, as for me, I would not keep my Scotch in a decanter for a long period of time.

Enjoy and bottoms up!
Old 01-14-2009, 01:14 AM
Kindred

Thanks for the response. I will probably only keep it for 1-2 years before finishing it off, so from what you have said it should all be good.

Regarding the flavour how long do you think it would take for a significant change in flavour?

ALSO!!! What temperatures would destroy the whisky? I had it in a draw and the room got to 30 degrees centigrade a couple of times... Its still tasted good but id like to know for the future, thanks.