ClubWhisky.com Forum - Questions About Whisky  

Go Back   ClubWhisky.com Forum - Questions About Whisky > All About Whisky! > Single Malt Scotch Whisky

Old 01-02-2011, 10:38 PM

Default Balvenie 15yr Single Barrel - A Straight, Raw Malt

The following are my tasting notes from sampling a bottle of The Balvenie 15yr Single Barrel, Cask #4628:

On the nose, aromas of sweet vanilla, honey, and ripe fruits come out alongside the rawness of the malt. The aromas foreshadow this to be a great whisky, and I'm glad to say it doesn't disappoint!

The first taste that hits the tongue is the peppery goodness. It tingles the mouth, and fills the cheeks with flavor. This is not a whisky that has been blended into obscurity, or mixed into mediocrity. This whisky is poured from a Single Barrel, yielding 350 bottles of uniqueness. The 15yr Single Barrel offering from The Balvenie is a superb example of what a whisky can be.

The finish is pretty long, with just a bit of citrus on the end (which I could do without). The pepper comes back (did it really ever leave?)

The body is a solid medium, really filling the mouth.

This is a whisky that every scotch-lover could get behind. Whatever your particular tastes, this whisky can bring something that sets it apart, and pleases the palate. Whether your whisky cabinet is small or large, this bottling can bring a uniqueness that would be welcome to all!

I'm happy to report that the Balvenie 15yr Single Barrel did very well in a recent Whiskey Goldmine double-blind taste test (See The Balvenie 15 Year Crushes Competition). The results of this test were discussed on this forum HERE. Additionally, the whisky was selected by my sister-in-law (whisky novice) as a superb whisky, along with the 21yr and 14yr Caribbean Cask from Balvenie. So, whether you have a palate that is brand new to whisky, or are a judge in a whisky tasting competition, the Balvenie 15yr is sure to please!
Old 03-06-2014, 02:08 AM

Right on jwise. (that be hippie talk). In other words you hit the nail on the head. Perfect review.
I happen to have a glass of this in front of me now. Ok, different barrel #.
I love the idea of this is not influenced by all that other jazz like a barrel that once held this or that and then put into more barrels that held other crap.
This one is proof that Scotch whisky can stand on it's own.
The Balvenie 15 has become one of my favorites.
I am still to open the 21 I got for a song. Yep $108.00.
I think it is time.
Old 03-06-2014, 05:44 AM
ClubWhisky.com Moderator

Jwise and Oscar, my glass is now filled and I toast the two of you.

Love this stuff...
Old 03-06-2014, 11:03 AM

Balvenie 15 is aged in ex-bourbon casks.
Old 03-10-2014, 02:49 AM

My local store has it for about $90.00. Only the current thinness of my wallet keeps me from pulling the trigger.
Old 03-14-2014, 09:40 PM

I feel like some of the 15 ysb can be really hit or miss. Some are ok and some are unbelievable! If it is a good cask, you better buy all you can!

Tags
balvenie, balvenie 15