ClubWhisky.com Forum - Questions About Whisky  

Go Back   ClubWhisky.com Forum - Questions About Whisky > All About Whisky! > Single Malt Scotch Whisky

Old 12-12-2012, 07:40 PM

Talking Hello Whisky.com Community

Hello all. I'm new to this forum and fairly new to the single malt and whiskey world. I probably had my first taste of the "water of life" 5 or 6 years ago, but haven't really appreciated it until recently. I'm now trying to build a collection of the fine spirit and learning more about it along the way. I normally have 2 to 3 bottles in rotation at a time, but that number will grow soon. I'm not particular to any region and enjoy both smooth and light and deep and smokey and everything in between. Below is a list of what I've tried and owned as well as a photo of my current modest collection on my newly acquired liquor cabinet.

The Glenlivet 18 (my current go to)
The Glenlivet 15
Bowmore 15
Lagavulin 16 (really enjoyed this and it will have a home in my collection again soon)
Macallan 18
Macallan 15 Fine Oak
Macallan 25 (had a glass of 25 at a company party where they said "open bar" until they saw how much each glass of the 25 year was, then they limited us to the 18 for the duration of the evening...)
Ardbeg 10

Based on the things I've read on this forum, I'll probably be extending my collection with the following:

Highland Park 12 and 18
Ardbeg Uigeadail
Aberlour 12 and 16
And anything else the community thinks would be worth a try.

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 12-12-2012, 10:15 PM
Administrator & Owner ClubWhisky.com

Welcome to the Whisky.com Forum! I've upgraded your status. You can post freely now.

I would also suggest The Macallan Cask Strength if you can find it. They discontinued it and I am on a quest to buy the last of them locally.

On the lighter side you might consider Tomintoul 16 and Tomintoul 14 (available in Canada)

Balvenie Sherry Oak 17 or Portwood 21 (one of my favorite)

Last edited by michael; 12-12-2012 at 10:29 PM.
Old 12-13-2012, 12:16 AM

Default Thanks for the welcome!

Thanks for the welcome and the recommendations Michael.

I'll be sure to give some or all of those a try in the near future.

jscotch
Old 12-13-2012, 01:07 AM

Default A Mix

Hello J

Welcome indeed. One thing you might do to sample more is to find a local friend and acquire different Whiskies so that you can try two at the same expense as one. Besides the 'big houses' don't be afraid to try some of the lesser known drams....occasionally hard to find in the US. There are true jewels out there and many to which you will be drawn.

Try a couple from each major region...Highland, Speyside, Islay etc...it does make a difference. Hmmmm, and let's see....oh yes....Enjoy, enjoy, enjoy. I have been into Whisky for 48 years (legally of course), as I am nearly as old as dirt.

Cheers Mate

David
Old 12-14-2012, 04:39 PM

Howdy, from Texas. Sounds like you have been exposed to some good ones, and have a great wish list started.

Dalmore 15 - it took me way too long to finally get around to tasting this excellent whisky.

Anything from The Balvenie. I have never been disappointed with anything from them.

Glenrothes makes a light, fresh, whisky with floral and fruit notes. Depending on which vintage you find, there may be citrus or caramel notes as well. My favorites in order: '72, '91, '92, '95,'98, Select Reserve.

Glenfarclas 15/17

Aberlour A'Bunadh - not for the faint of heart.
Old 12-14-2012, 07:49 PM

Default Thank you!

Thanks for the warm welcome and recommendations from everyone. Will definitely continue my journey into the single malt world with your advice.

Tags
whisky suggestions