ClubWhisky.com Forum - Questions About Whisky  

Go Back   ClubWhisky.com Forum - Questions About Whisky > All About Whisky! > Single Malt Scotch Whisky

Old 01-21-2013, 11:30 PM

Default Single Malt Storage

Hello, this is my first time posting on these forums so I hope that I am placing this thread in the correct place. I have two questions for single malt scotch experts.

First, with a little back story. My apartment went under extreme renovations this summer and I because of that I asked my brother to house my single malt collection at his house for approximately 2 months (September and October). During the transportation from my place to his (approximately 30 minutes) he stored the bottles sideways. Now, He told me that he stored them up right in his basement for the 2 month duration, but I am curious what possible, if any, issues could arise if they were stored sideways? I only ask this because 3 of the bottles were Port Ellens, 2 were Balvenie and Glenfiddich single casks / vintage reserves, one a Laphroaig 15 signed by the distillery's malt master, and a Talisker 30. The other bottles were nothing of special note. All bottles were sealed and in their boxes. When renovations were done I inspected each bottle checking for any floating objects, none were found. Any insight would be greatly appreciated as this aspect of single malts is new to me.

Second, in regards to the Glenfiddich 1977 Vintage Cask. While inspecting it, I noticed some light brown sediment (best description I can give) in a small area at the bottom of the bottle. I was going to lightly tilt the bottle upside down and right side down a few times but decided against it until I got some learned advice. I truly hope that this is nothing peculiar as I have done some research saying older bottles of Scotch Whisky can have a small amount of sediment.

Thank you very much for your consideration and time reading my post.
Old 01-22-2013, 12:24 AM
Administrator & Owner ClubWhisky.com

Welcome to the Whisky.com Forum. I've upgraded your status. You can post freely now.

As far as cork touching the whisky, we had a previous post that may interest you: http://www.whisky.com/forum/showthread.php?t=96912

Last edited by michael; 01-22-2013 at 12:37 AM.
Old 01-23-2013, 12:14 AM

Thank you, Michael. I noticed that post as well. I'm still a little bit unclear about TCA. From what I'm gathering from that thread, if a cork is infected with TCA, whisky will be corked in a matter of days, however if it does not have TCA, it can last months on it's side because any detrimental effects occur to the whisky. Would this be correct?
Old 01-23-2013, 10:12 AM

You'e correct about TCA but it only causes a problem when the cork gets wet which could happen before you even buy the bottle. I wouldn't be concerned about a few months and even less if it's only a few days.
Enjoy the whisky when you try it.
Slainthe
Old 02-25-2013, 06:09 PM

See my post on TCA titled "TCA Affecting Whisky"
Old 02-25-2013, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale View Post
See my post on TCA titled "TCA Affecting Whisky"
Is this it. http://www.whisky.com/forum/showthre...fecting+Whisky
Old 02-25-2013, 08:02 PM

Michael - This is it (posted today) - you read my post faster than I wrote it! Anyway, here it is: http://www.whisky.com/forum/showthread.php?t=97074
Old 02-25-2013, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale View Post
Michael - This is it (posted today) - you read my post faster than I wrote it! Anyway, here it is: http://www.whisky.com/forum/showthread.php?t=97074
Well done!
Old 03-06-2013, 08:06 PM

That article was a very informative read, thank you, Dale.

I also was wondering if anyone has information concerning duration of time that high alcohol content liquids, such as scotch, need to begin to dissolve cork. That was another concern of mine since they were on their sides for anywhere from a day to 2 months
Old 03-07-2013, 10:03 AM

As far as high strength spirit and cork I wouldn't worry unless it's 50 years or more in teh bottle.

For Dale - TCA has also been found in the wooden pallets that carry dry goods for bottlings which did worry the Scotch industry but all dry goods [should] have been wrapped in cling film to negate this.
Old 09-30-2013, 02:32 PM

Default cork touching the whisky

hi all.....its been a year we moved to our new house...however, my entire collection of single malts were packed by my brother horizontally...and have been lying so for a year now...the corks appear to be fine...im concerned if the taste if the whisky would be affected...

Tags
cork, storing whisky