ClubWhisky.com Forum - Questions About Whisky  

Go Back   ClubWhisky.com Forum - Questions About Whisky > All About Whisky! > Single Malt Scotch Whisky

Old 08-24-2013, 08:22 PM

Default Selling part of collection to a private person in USA

Hello,

I have a collection of single malts, now I want to sell part of my collection to a private person. Do I have a legal right to sell alcohol? Wouldn't it be illegal? I live in the United States.

Thank you for any inputs.

Nike
Old 08-24-2013, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nike View Post
Hello,

I have a collection of single malts, now I want to sell part of my collection to a private person. Do I have a legal right to sell alcohol? Wouldn't it be illegal? I live in the United States.

Thank you for any inputs.

Nike
IMO a face to face sale would be no problem.
Where it 'can' be an issue is when you cross state lines with a 'shipment' of spirits.
UPS and FedEx can deliver BUT you'll have to lie about the contents of the package especially if it 'gurgles' when shaken. USPS is the same issue.
I've sold when Ebay allowed and I packed very carefully and never had an issue but if thre's any breakage any insurance will likely be voided and you may face some tough questions from the shipper.
Old 08-24-2013, 10:26 PM

where do you live and what do you have.
Old 08-26-2013, 04:57 AM

Default collection

If you offer more info I can try to help.
Old 08-26-2013, 06:56 AM

Tell us what your selling Nike
Old 09-05-2013, 02:37 PM

When I was setting up my website I consulted with a lawyer on 27 USC 203, the post prohibition law governing wine and spirits. The result was he felt that A)the law only applies to licensed dealers, and people illegally in the business of selling wines and spirits without a licenses, and B) people involved in interstate commerce. What we took this to mean is that as long as you aren't selling alcohol as a business the law doesn't apply to you, and if you're still concerned you can simply restrict your dealings to other people in your own state (so long as you abide by the laws of that state).

If you have any questions or anything don't hesitate to PM me or email me at padraig.sea@outlook.com