ClubWhisky.com Forum - Questions About Whisky  

Go Back   ClubWhisky.com Forum - Questions About Whisky > All About Whisky! > Single Malt Scotch Whisky

Old 09-07-2013, 06:52 AM

Default My 2nd bottle is opened!

My first ever whisk(e?)y experience was JW Black Label on rocks. I had never had scotch whisky before and my only other whiskey experience was straight shots of some Tennessee whiskies or mixed. To my knowledge that's all "drinking" really had to offer. I loved my whiskey.

This experience drove me to purchase a Glenmorangie sample box and I immediately fell in love with the far superior Scotch Whisky. I haven't looked back. Glenmorange Quinta Ruban was my first purchase and I've savored every sip. I've just loved it. Every day I look at the bottle and see how much less there is I die a little inside.

When I first cracked open the Quinta Ruban I only knew that it was liquid incredible. I did research and knew I should be noting chocolate, orange and mint. I wasn't. This made me sad. By the end of the bottle (I've still got a wee bit left!) I can no proudly say I have picked out all 3 flavors (though it took comparison to note the mint). I seem to only get them one at a time though. It's like they rotate for every glass I have.

I was recommended the Macallan 12 and the Balvenie 12. I chose the Macallan because the Belvanie maturation process was too similar to the Glenmorangie Lasanta, which I am already familiar with, and wanted to taste something a little different.

The dried fruits just about knocked my socks off the second I pulled the cork for the first time. I then started to note the vanilla and wood smoke. I can appreciate the flavor, but sadly do not like it. I was happy however that the nose was so vastly different from the Quinta Ruban. I ran and grabbed the bottle just to smell it. There was the mint I had been missing! It was so strong in comparison I couldn't believe I missed it. I think I was smelling the mint and assuming it was just the bite of the alcohol. But wow!

So, I've now got a bottle of Macallan 12 and Glenmorangie Quinta Ruban. The QR is my definite favorite of the two, and I'm not sure what I'll be doing with the Macallan. I may use it to experiment with my aromatic pipe tobaccos to see if I like the combination, but I certainly don't see myself enjoying it on a daily basis. My wife wasn't a huge fan either. I am going to say that the strong fruity flavors are what are lessening my enjoyment.

I have an increased love for my Quinta Ruban, however, and can't wait to get my hands on a bottle of Nectar D'Or (which my liquor store does not have!!!).

What would you guys recommend that is more dark in flavor and not so fruity? I'm ok with sweet, I just don't want to be drinking liquid trail mix. And again, to reiterate, I do greatly appreciate this whisky and it's flavors, but it's just not for me
Old 09-07-2013, 08:16 AM
ClubWhisky.com Moderator

You may want to give some more consideration to the deservedly highly regarded Balvenie, especially the affordable DoubleWood.
Old 09-08-2013, 03:06 AM

Sorry if I led you to a whisky you don't care for. I guess that's why there's so many distillers... To satisfy so many tastes. Good luck in your journey!
Old 09-08-2013, 01:33 PM
ClubWhisky.com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtsmith View Post
And again, to reiterate, I do greatly appreciate this whisky and it's flavors, but it's just not for me
That's a good approach. Sometimes we try a food or drink that just doesn't ring the bell for us, but it can still be a worthwhile learning experience. And who knows? Maybe the next one you taste will be the one that, no matter how many you try after, is the whisky you'll always want to have on hand.

All the best in your journey!

Tags
macallan