ClubWhisky.com Forum - Questions About Whisky  

Go Back   ClubWhisky.com Forum - Questions About Whisky > All About Whisky! > Bourbons, Canadian, Tennessee, Collectibles and more...

Old 12-28-2008, 02:51 PM
Unregistered

Default Adams Antique

I have a 1974 sealed bottle of Adams Antique Canadian Whisky, Twelve Years Old. I don't know anything about whisky and would appreciate any insite on to the value, history etc. before I start serving it to guests.
Old 12-29-2008, 01:22 AM
ClubWhisky.com Admin

Default Need photos!

Please post photos of your bottle. Need clear, close up of the label so we can read it. Also be sure to include a shot of the entire bottle itself. We can see if we can find some background information for you.
Old 02-13-2009, 04:06 AM
UncleMordy

Default 1971 with the tax seal still on

Hi. I am new here and I have a few questions re Adams Antique 10 years old:

1) is it blended or straight
2) did they use grape base or sherry casks
3) approx value.

Thank you
Attached Thumbnails
Full Bottle.jpg   Front Label.jpg   Tax Seal.jpg  

Last edited by UncleMordy; 02-16-2009 at 05:00 PM.
Old 03-13-2009, 04:21 PM
ClubWhisky.com Admin

Hey there - sorry about the delay in getting back to you on this. Through a bit of searching, I came across this entry in a book titled The Whiskey Treasury written by Walter Schobert:

"Adams Canadian blend from Seagram. This brand was created by Samuel Bronfman after he had bought United Distillers Ltd in 1953 and changed its name to Thomas Adams Distillery. The new name was a reminder of a whisky pioneer whose distillery was licensed in 1802. There are several versions: Adams Double Distilled contains at least five-year-old rye whiskies, Adams Private Stock contains six-year-olds and Adams Antique is twice as old again. There is also a Four Roses, which shouldn't be mistaken for the Bourbon which, confusingly, is also from the house of Seagram. The Adams whiskies are rarely found outside Canada. This book will be the first reference point for the trade, historian and lover of whisky and will bolster any whisky bookshelf in the English-speaking world."

So, it sure sounds like you might have a gem on your hands. I can try to dig up some additional information for you, but Whisky.com does not provide valuations. Try contacting McTears.com or Bonhams.com for a value.
Old 03-13-2009, 04:23 PM
ClubWhisky.com Admin

Also, even though I can brighten your pictures a bit, they are very, very dark making it extremely difficult to read the label. Can you try taking better photos for us?
Old 03-16-2009, 11:32 PM
UncleMordy

thank you for your answers an your recommendation. I will check out the site.

Additionally, I will try to get a better pic (or 2 or 3)

thanks again,

Uncle Mordy
Old 04-03-2009, 10:14 PM
tinorm69

Default wisky

I search for Wisky Adans antique canadian can you give me a site or email address stp
gnormand@hotmail.com
Old 09-09-2009, 07:57 PM
Unregistered

Default Adam's Private Stock

I have a friend that is looking for a place to purchase a bottle of Adam's Private Stock. I don't know anything about this except that it's a Canadian Whiskey.
Do you or anyone else know where she could purchase a bottle (online possibly)?
Old 10-12-2009, 11:50 PM
Unregistered

Default Adams

Adams Private Stock is coming into British Columbia in the next few weeks in 375ml, 750ml & 1.14L formats - private store only at this point.

Feel free to email me for further info -I'm the agent for the product in the province.

Greenavenueagency@gmail.com
Old 05-19-2010, 01:45 AM
Markus

Smile Adams Whiskey

I noticed the many questions and thought I'd share a bit about what I have. I have an unbroken seal 25 oz.bottle with a Liquor Control Board Ontario seal dated 1949. The box it comes in resembles an old book with the Adams crest on the cover and First Edition and Adams on the binding. I am sure it is an aged whiskey in its day since the hang tag around the neck refers to "Many years ago" and " gently charred oak casks". It is in original condition, but I have no desire to sell beyond knowing that it is a very old bottle (61 years old). I told my son that he can open it upon my death OR when it turns 100 years old in 2049! He'll be 70!
Old 09-07-2010, 09:36 AM
milanna

Default Adams Antique

THAT is my main reason for wanting to try more of the Adams products, as if you hunt down my findings; youll find they are not biased, but I DID find product Vs Product, that the Adams was noticeably EASIER to remove than mothers.
Old 09-13-2010, 03:18 PM
Unregistered

Default Adams Whisky

After naming me "Adam," I think my parents were somewhat taken by the idea of Adams Private Stock. They purchased a bottle somewhere around the year of my birth (1980) and kept it ever since. It has a distinctive square-cut decanter-style bottle.

It has long since disappeared from liqour stores in our home of Nova Scotia, Canada--no doubt corresponding with the decline of the Bronfman liquor empire. So it was somewhat surprising to see that the whisky is still made--by the White Rock Disillery in Lewiston, Maine. I can only assume they bought the brand name at fire sale prices.

As a result, you can still find Adams private stock in the northeast U.S.--I saw a bottle in Maine a few years back. The bottle looks the same as the 1980s version, although the label has changed. It is still listed on their website--although there are no pics: http://www.whiterockdistilleries.com...ds/whiskys.php.

Hope that helps!
Old 09-17-2010, 04:42 AM
Unregistered

Smile Adams Antique

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I have a 1974 sealed bottle of Adams Antique Canadian Whisky, Twelve Years Old. I don't know anything about whisky and would appreciate any insite on to the value, history etc. before I start serving it to guests.
I was a distiller for Joseph E Seagram and Sons Ltd. in Waterloo ON Canada, Adams was a subsidiary of Seagram's. Adams Antique is probably the best whisky next to Crown Royal, I actually prefer it to CR, it is a smooth sipping whisky and if you check the label it will most likely be a twelve or ten year old. This is a premium blend not for mixing with Coke or ginger ale so only share it with your closest friends.
Please enjoy it and know you have a bottle of liquid gold!

All the best

Steve
Old 09-17-2010, 02:30 PM
ClubWhisky.com Admin

Quote:
I was a distiller for Joseph E Seagram and Sons Ltd. in Waterloo ON Canada, Adams was a subsidiary of Seagram's. Adams Antique is probably the best whisky next to Crown Royal, I actually prefer it to CR, it is a smooth sipping whisky and if you check the label it will most likely be a twelve or ten year old. This is a premium blend not for mixing with Coke or ginger ale so only share it with your closest friends.

All the best

Steve
Thanks Steve for chiming in here! Would love for you to be a member on our forum. Just let me know - you can send me a private msg at Joanne (at) CCIN.com - be sure to Whisky in the subject line.
Old 10-23-2010, 07:10 PM
Unregistered

I was searching info on Adams Private Stock because of the black leather coasters that came with the bottles back around the late 80's.

I was a kid, but the old man drank plenty and I have a dozen of their bilingual "The Spirit of Sports" coasters depicting a shot of various sport poses such as a baseball player in mid swing, a hocey player receiving a pass at the blue line, a football player tucking the ball and rushing, among others. The lettering is in red at the top, then the image in gold, then "Adams Private Stock" in gold at the bottom. I always thought they were really high quality and people ask about them all the time.

Just thought I'd mention it as there doesn't appear to be much in the way of documented history about Adams Private Stock available on the web. I grew up in New Brunswick, but live in Toronto now, and would really like to get a hold of a bottle but have never seen it on the shelves. Good to see though that it is still being produced.
Old 10-24-2010, 06:39 PM
Whisky.com Expert

Quote:

All the best

Steve
Hi Steve,

I also would be interesting in talking with you off line. I do have some Adam's Antique in my collection and will be reviewing them on my Canadian whisky website. It would be great to include some comments from someone from the distillery, or just get some insights from you.
You can contact me at davindek (at) gmail.com

Hope to hear from you.

Davin
Old 01-08-2011, 05:52 AM
Unregistered Wally

Smile Andams Antique

I used to buy it every time I went through Hinton AB but all they have now is Private Stock .

http://www.whiskyportal.com/distille...mli+Distillery

I found the above site.

I sent the guy that claims to be the Agent for BC an eMail months ago but no reply.

Guess I'll have to go for a drive next summer , to Gimli , Man.
Old 01-09-2011, 04:29 AM
Unregistered

Default Adams Antique Value?

I have a bottle of Adams Antique 12 year old with an unbroken seal dated 1973. The bottle is still in the original blue box - the one with the snowflakes.

Should I sip or sell?
Old 01-10-2011, 03:14 PM
Whisky.com Expert

It's nice whisky but not worth a whole lot. If you want to make $60 to $80 sell it. Otherwise get together with a few friends who would appreciate it, and sip it. That's what I would do.
Davin
Old 01-16-2011, 03:55 AM
Unregistered

I was wondering where I could buy adams private stock. My dad is a huge fan but we cannot buy it in ontario, the LCBO no longer carries it. Does anyone know where I could buy some, Manitoba, Quebec, even in the states near southern ontario? Thanks a lot.

Jeff Mc
Old 02-24-2011, 06:25 PM
Nicole Woodruff

Default Bells Scotch Whisky

Hello I have a bottle of Bell's Scotch Whisky. Its a commemerative bottle for Prince Charles and Lady Dianas marriage.
On the front of the front of the bottle it has a heart around their faces. Below the heart it says To Commemorate Their Marriage and the date of 29th July 1981 below it. Inside the heart has both of their names HRH Prince Charles and Lady Diana Spencer.
The back of the bottle has a label stating the brand of whisky it is. Also the original seal is still on the bottle and it still sits on the gold cardboard that it came on.
I am wanting to sell this and am wondering what something like this is worth. If you could let me know I would greatly appreciate it.
Thank You,
Nicole
Old 04-15-2011, 09:30 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicole Woodruff View Post
Hello I have a bottle of Bell's Scotch Whisky. Its a commemerative bottle for Prince Charles and Lady Dianas marriage.
On the front of the front of the bottle it has a heart around their faces. Below the heart it says To Commemorate Their Marriage and the date of 29th July 1981 below it. Inside the heart has both of their names HRH Prince Charles and Lady Diana Spencer.
The back of the bottle has a label stating the brand of whisky it is. Also the original seal is still on the bottle and it still sits on the gold cardboard that it came on.
I am wanting to sell this and am wondering what something like this is worth. If you could let me know I would greatly appreciate it.
Thank You,
Nicole
Yes! I have the same bottle that I'm looking to sell. Anyone know where I can find out how much it's worth?!
Old 05-03-2011, 09:56 PM
Unregistered

Default Adams Antique

hi ... i just got a gift from a friend not to long ago ...
a bottle of Canadian Rye Whisky and theres a seal of the year 1957 ...
does it worth anything ?
Old 06-30-2011, 04:08 PM
Unregistered

Default Adam's Antique Whiskey

I was given a bottle of Adam's Antique by my brother-in-law. He quit drinking several years ago and decided I should have it. It is sealed with a 1968 marking.

Anyone know what this might be worth? I'm not much of a whiskey drinker.
Old 06-30-2011, 06:54 PM
Unregistered

Default Adams Antique

In 1988, while camping with friends in Algonquin Park, we buried a bottle of 12 year old Adams Antique. 40 oz's, unopened. We've dug it up twice since (via memory and a map), each time not opening it and put it back. Its been at least 10 years since the last 'digging'.
This summer, we're getting back together to find it one more time.....this time to crack it open and enjoy it. Like an old friend, can't wait to see it again.

Glen
Old 09-20-2011, 12:08 PM
Whisky.com Member

Default Adams Antique

I am looking to purchase a bottle of adam's antique whisky. If anyone has a bottle to sell please contact me. Thank You very much.
Old 10-11-2011, 10:29 PM
Unregistered

Default Adams Old Rye

I have an empty Adams Old Rye Canadian whiskey double distilled. It still has the double broken seals on the top and the label is in perfect dhape (found it in the wall does this bottle have any valueon the bottom it says "John Adams and company Limited Vancouver and Grimsby Canada" it is a brown bottle with a metal screw cap the house was built in 1940
Old 10-20-2011, 02:34 AM
Unregistered

Default Bottle of Adams Antique

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloussia View Post
I am looking to purchase a bottle of adam's antique whisky. If anyone has a bottle to sell please contact me. Thank You very much.
I have an unopened bottle of Adam's Antique Whiskey complete with the original LCBO price tag and intact seal dated 1967. If you are interested, contact me at linric78@gmail.com
Old 03-23-2012, 02:25 AM
Unregistered

We have a 1954 First Edition, sealed bottle of Whiskey in a book box. Anybody know any info on its value?
Old 06-05-2012, 09:50 PM
Unregistered

Default Your Adams Antique

I was wondering what you may have found out about your bottle? I recently found a 1975 12yr old unopened bottle and was also wondering about it being a collectable or is it just drinkable?
Old 11-05-2012, 03:08 AM
Unregistered

Default value of a old bottle?

I have an old empty bottle of adams private stock dated 1961 i beleive, just wondering if it has any value?
Old 01-25-2017, 10:51 PM
ClubWhisky.com Member

Quote:
I was wondering where I could buy adams private stock. My dad is a huge fan but we cannot buy it in ontario, the LCBO no longer carries it. Does anyone know where I could buy some, Manitoba, Quebec, even in the states near southern ontario? Thanks a lot.

Jeff Mc
I have a 40 ounce sealed bottle of Adam's Private Stock Whisky from 1972 if anyone is interested in purchasing it. I live in the Greater Toronto Area. Thanks
Old 04-21-2017, 06:21 PM

Adamsprivatestock

I am interested if l can afford it, though I do not know if it is even possible internationally (California). My father is entering into hospice care and has asked for it. He used to bring back a bottle every time he went into Canada, but I was unable to find any in 2006 when l traveled Banff to bring back. I later found it had been discontinued and was no longer available.

Not being a drinker, I have solicited advise from a few friends for a smooth rye whiskey to offer him as a reasonable substitute. I have been advised l might try Thomas Handy, Sazerac, or Whistle Pig Boss Hog. Do any of these, or others, sound similar?

Thank you
Paul

Tags
adams, canadian whiskey