ClubWhisky.com Forum - Questions About Whisky  

Go Back   ClubWhisky.com Forum - Questions About Whisky > All About Whisky! > Single Malt Scotch Whisky

Old 02-16-2016, 09:52 PM

Default I Really Like Highland Park, What’s Similar?

I have found in my short time with Scotch whisky that I love the smokey taste and finish of the Highland Parks.

What other Scotchs have a smokey taste and finish that I could try?
Old 02-17-2016, 05:10 AM

I recently opened a Glenfarclas 12 that I'm enjoying but it's only lightly peated. Springbank 10 has a good dose of peat and is quite flavorful. A lot more flavor than HP 12 but I wouldn't call it a sweet whisky.
There's always Ardbeg 10. A lot of smoke and peat yes but what a class act.

Last edited by BoxcarBill; 02-17-2016 at 05:22 AM.
Old 02-17-2016, 02:16 PM
ClubWhisky.com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXL View Post
I have found in my short time with Scotch whisky that I love the smokey taste and finish of the Highland Parks.

What other Scotchs have a smokey taste and finish that I could try?
Most, but not all, of the Islay whiskies are peaty/smokey, and there are also peaty/smokey whiskies from the other regions of Scotland. If you go for an Islay whisky, keep in mind the Islay peat yields different flavor characteristics than the Orkney (Highland Park) peat.

Maybe consider something from Talisker. The Isle of Skye is geographically farther south than Orkney, but not as far south as Islay. I don't know how much that actually has to do with the flavor these days, since many distilleries no longer do their own floor maltings. But to me, Talisker is sort of "between" Highland Park and the Islay whiskies in its peat profile and overall taste.
Old 02-22-2016, 03:30 AM

I heard Bowmore has plenty of smoke. I was going to try a Scapa but cant find one. Tasliker 10 I still need to pick up but wonder what you guys thought of Bowmore?
Old 02-22-2016, 07:17 AM

Bowmore 12 tastes like Kool Aid to me. An easy drinker but quite boring (yes it's peaty). I've wanted to try Scapa for some time now but from what I've read it's a very delicate bodied malt, very minimally peaty and not smoked, and it seems rather expensive.
I picked up a Talisker 10 last May but haven't gotten to it yet.

Last edited by BoxcarBill; 02-22-2016 at 08:11 AM.
Old 02-23-2016, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxcarBill View Post
Bowmore 12 tastes like Kool Aid to me. An easy drinker but quite boring (yes it's peaty). I've wanted to try Scapa for some time now but from what I've read it's a very delicate bodied malt, very minimally peaty and not smoked, and it seems rather expensive.
I picked up a Talisker 10 last May but haven't gotten to it yet.
Yeah the Scapa does seem expensive. Bowmore tastes like Kool Aid haha, well seems I need to grab a bottle of Talisker 10 and you open yours and lets compare notes.
Old 02-23-2016, 09:51 AM
ClubWhisky.com Moderator

I went to a tasting a couple years ago and the Scapa 16? was the only one I liked, well enough to want to buy.

Bowmore tastes like the classic 'mildly smoky Kool Aid' that we all know and love. I like Bowmore 12 but I really wish I could find a bottle of Bowmore Tempest again.

Talisker 10 has never tasted good to me, and I'll try again, but so far probably half a dozen times. Talisker 18 however, definitely! Still have some too if you guys can come up and try it! Actually, and this may surprise you, I have lots of stuff from Islay...
Old 02-24-2016, 08:39 AM

Isle of jura 10 tastes similar to HP12 IMO... Its a very nice whisky and a very good price.. Talisker 10 is also a great whisky i had a dram of it in the weekend and i was impressed.. I had a bottle of scapa 14 a few years back and it was very nice , less peat than HP sweeter but you wont be able to find it now at a good price anw... I dont like the bowmore 12 at all , it does nothing for me
Old 02-25-2016, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drakoskl View Post
Isle of jura 10 tastes similar to HP12 IMO... Its a very nice whisky and a very good price.. Talisker 10 is also a great whisky i had a dram of it in the weekend and i was impressed.. I had a bottle of scapa 14 a few years back and it was very nice , less peat than HP sweeter but you wont be able to find it now at a good price anw... I dont like the bowmore 12 at all , it does nothing for me
Juras...They have my interest but I haven't tried one yet. SO either the Jura 10 or Talisker 10 Im going to buy today. Hmm but which one?
Old 02-25-2016, 10:45 PM

I grabbed the Talisker 10.. looking forward to a couple drams tonight.
Old 02-27-2016, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXL View Post
I grabbed the Talisker 10.. looking forward to a couple drams tonight.
So what do you think?
Old 02-27-2016, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drakoskl View Post
So what do you think?
I really enjoy it. I like the 45.8% ABV for sure and its seems complex for a 10, but so is Ardbeg 10 and Laphroaig 10 for the most part. Loads of pepper and bite, sweet fruity nose and a light salt-water base and smoke, but not a peat bomb. The peppery finish is what I enjoy the most, its really satisfying.
I am definitely interested in their other expressions. Any thoughts on the D.E. or Storm?

Last edited by XXL; 02-27-2016 at 07:43 PM.
Old 02-28-2016, 10:45 AM
ClubWhisky.com Moderator

If you like the Talisker 10 you're in for a real treat when you try their 18.
Old 03-02-2016, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islay Peat View Post
If you like the Talisker 10 you're in for a real treat when you try their 18.
Soon! My plan was to explore the Ardbeg expressions next, but Talisker has taken that over.
Old 12-24-2016, 09:26 PM

I think Springbank has a similar profile as Highland Park.

Do yourself a favor and try HP 18 and Springbank 15. Both are excellent and worth the extra coin.

I stumbled into a very special Hart Brothers independent bottling of HP that was epic.

Last edited by jwise; 12-24-2016 at 09:34 PM.
Old 12-26-2016, 08:58 PM
ClubWhisky.com Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwise View Post
I think Springbank has a similar profile as Highland Park.

Do yourself a favor and try HP 18 and Springbank 15. Both are excellent and worth the extra coin.

I stumbled into a very special Hart Brothers independent bottling of HP that was epic.

I keep wanting to try the Highland Park 15 and now I have to add the Springbank 15 as well? Okay!
Old 12-28-2016, 05:59 AM

I didn't think much of HP 15, but that was just from a single tasting. HP 18, on the other hand, is something to get excited about.
Old 12-28-2016, 09:15 AM
ClubWhisky.com Moderator

It seems there are a lot of 18's that I like, with Highland Park and Bunnahabhain right up in front. Just having a bit of Tirnanog 18 right now.
Old 12-31-2016, 02:12 AM

I love all the Highland Parks I have tried. I have the 12, 15, 18, and Dark Origins. The 18 being my personal favorite.

I would love to try the Talisker 18, but I think Ill save my dram money for trying a Springbank expression. Ill probably try the 10 first and if I love it, then the 15.

So far in my limited experiences I haven't met a dram I didnt like in some way haha But if I was to rank my top three.. Highland Park, Talisker, and Ardbeg are sitting pretty.

Tags
highland park, whisky suggestions