ClubWhisky.com Forum - Questions About Whisky  

Go Back   ClubWhisky.com Forum - Questions About Whisky > All About Whisky! > Single Malt Scotch Whisky

Old 03-08-2013, 03:00 AM

Default Whisky Novice Looking for Something Similar to Aberlour A'bunadh

Hello all,

I should start this post by confessing that I am somewhat of a whisky novice. I don't have an overly delicate palate and I haven't got the greatest sense of smell. Nonetheless, I know what I like and I'm always on the lookout for new things; I signed up for a tasting sample service and buy a bottle every couple of weeks or so (or when budget will allow).

But let me get to the point. Out of all the samples I was sent there was one that stood out heads and shoulders above the rest - Aberlour A'bunadh, Batch #40 (60%). It is, in my opinion, simply stunning. I like all sorts of spirits but I think it has to be one of my favourites of all. I was hoping that the most whisky savvy folk on this board may be able to help me find some whiskies that are similar to Aberlour, or at least highlight some of its most distinctive characteristics, which would then let me chose some other similar types - I'm really trying to get more selective in what I like.

So thanks - (1) for reading this admittedly long post and (2) for any help you can give.

Captain
Old 03-08-2013, 10:47 PM

The A'bunadh is a cracker, there is batch variation so just be careful as they are not all going to be the same.

Basically; these are aged only in Oloroso sherry butts and are not chill filtered. So you like 'em big and spicy.

The first thing that springs to mind would by a Glenfarclas 105. This is also a NAS whisky and bottled at 60% from sherry casks, it's also around the same price as the A'bunadh so would be a good starting point.....it's also brilliant.

Head towards the heavy sherried stuff from other distilleries like GlenDronach, Benriach and Glenfarclas.

The GlenDronach do a series of single cask bottlings which are from sherry butts, not chill filtered and bottled as cask strength and are very, very good.

Benriach use a lot of sherried whiskies and are also very good.

Glenfarclas do a nice 15 year old, which is chill filtered and only around 46% but it's heavy on sherry.

Retail for these bottles are between £40 and £60. The GlenDronach single casks are worth spashing out on.
Old 03-10-2013, 08:55 PM

I have only had Batch #41 so my reference in trying to find you something similar may be completely different due to the fact that every batch of a'bunadh is different.

But the batch that I had was a heavily sherried whisky with a hint of sulphuric tones in the background.

It was, in a word, amazing.

The only whiskies I could think of coming even remotely close in nose and palate would be Macallan 12 year aged in sherry casks from Jerez, Spain and Glenfarclas (most ages). Most "sherry bombs," in fact.

However nothing will ever really be the same as a'bunadh, it's just too unique. It is made from many different barrels of Aberlour whisky, of varying ages. No one knows exactly what ages it contains, but one assumption I have heard is casks from 5-35 years old. This gives it such a unique taste and helps the company save some money while not having to put an age on the bottle. A few companies are starting to do this these days due to increased demand, exhaustion of vintage casks and a surplus of young casks from the 1990s when whisky started to explode and they were like "woah, we gotta catch up!" Glenrothes "Select Reserve" is another example, but from what I understand it wouldn't be similar to a'bunadh at all.
Old 03-11-2013, 12:32 AM

Default Thanks

Thanks for your thoughts - I appreciate you taking the time to come up with some thoughts. I look forward to trying some (most?) (all!) of these suggestions out.

Captain
Old 03-11-2013, 03:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain View Post
Thanks for your thoughts - I appreciate you taking the time to come up with some thoughts. I look forward to trying some (most?) (all!) of these suggestions out.

Captain
Try out a cask strength Macallan. I found the flavor and nose to be similar to the A'bunadh.
Old 03-20-2013, 11:57 AM

Actually have you tired the Aberlour 10yr? It's realy really good for a low priced 10yr old. Has alot of sherry hints. I tried to bid on a couple bottles of A'bunadh and lost so still waiting to try it. Hope to try it sounds really nice. Instead I got the Aberlour 16yr double cask. Real nice also. Can't say how much I love Glenmorangie Sonnalta PX if you like a sherry butt THE BEST so far for me. Going to keep trying other brands! Really fun experimenting.

Tags
aberlour abunadh