ClubWhisky.com Forum - Questions About Whisky  

Go Back   ClubWhisky.com Forum - Questions About Whisky > All About Whisky! > Whisky, Scotch, Bourbon, Whiskey Events, Tastings & Festivals

Old 07-19-2018, 07:25 AM
johntimber

Default New to Whisky - How to Acquire a Taste?

Hello,

I am fairly new to whiskey. I have drank it on a number of occasions, but have never enjoyed it as much as I would like to. I have tasted most general types (rye, single malt scotch, Irish, blended scotch). I am looking for the best way to become more acquainted with the world of whiskey, and the best way to acquire a taste for it. Any help/suggestions is much appreciated.

Last edited by michael; 09-06-2018 at 10:40 PM.
Old 07-21-2018, 03:00 AM
ClubWhisky.com Moderator

One of the best things to do with a new whisky is to hold off tasting it until your nose has had a good chance to get used to it, even if that means taking 20 minutes before having the first sip. I've even had people try Islay whiskies for the first time and like them, but generally only so long as they didn't rush the first taste. Otherwise all to many of them turn green and turn away.

Tags
tasting