ClubWhisky.com Forum - Questions About Whisky  

Go Back   ClubWhisky.com Forum - Questions About Whisky > All About Whisky! > Single Malt Scotch Whisky

Old 07-26-2010, 07:24 PM
wired1

Default Yamazaki 18...

Hi,

I just started collecting and buying all sorts of different styles, and recently saw Yamazaki 18... Being COMPLETELY unfamiliar with Japanese whisky, what can I expect from this should I buy it? Is it "good"? Does it compare to anything?

Your thoughts please
Old 07-26-2010, 07:50 PM
ClubWhisky.com Admin

Default Yamazaki Japanese whisky

Yum, I like it! Actually I have enjoyed both the 12 & 18 year Yamazaki whiskies. Their unique maturation process includes using five different types of oak casks from the US, Spain & Japan. This brand is "peat free", if that's any interest to you. Also, the 12 year is the #1 selling single malt whisky in Japan. I'll see if I can dig up my tasting notes.
Old 07-26-2010, 08:43 PM
wired1

Thanks! That is great!
Old 08-13-2010, 05:28 AM

The Yamazaki 18 is a bit of a smoke laden 'sherry bomb' with tons of dried fruit flavour and a heavy presence on the palate.

The 12 is more reminiscent of a bourbon cask with a ton less smoke and much more of a honeyed caramel/Vanilla presence. I preferred the 12 by far, but it is more a matter of whether you like a heavy sherry cask presence or not.
Old 01-05-2013, 09:53 PM
ClubWhisky.com Moderator

Like Arctic Wolf, I too prefer the 12 over the 18 and the Yamazaki 12 is one of my favorites.
Old 02-08-2013, 03:20 AM

Quote:
Like Arctic Wolf, I too prefer the 12 over the 18 and the Yamazaki 12 is one of my favorites.
Islay Peat. the 12 year is one that is on sale at $54.00 now at a local store. Is that worth a try? Is that a good price?
It would be my first from japan. I'm Interested.
I need to go there for the lagavulin buy anyway, thought I could pick one of these up along with a Highland park 18 that is going for $92.00.
I think this store has good pricing overall.
Minneapolis 10% tax adds up though.
Old 02-08-2013, 04:21 AM
ClubWhisky.com Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by oscarswanson View Post
Islay Peat. the 12 year is one that is on sale at $54.00 now at a local store. Is that worth a try? Is that a good price?
It would be my first from japan. I'm Interested.
I need to go there for the lagavulin buy anyway, thought I could pick one of these up along with a Highland park 18 that is going for $92.00.
I think this store has good pricing overall.
Minneapolis 10% tax adds up though.
I have little hesitation in suggesting the Yamazaki 12 to just about anyone and seeing that our tastes are close in many ways, would be very surprised is you, or just about anyone for that matter, didn't immediately fall for the Yamazaki 12.

I've got one bottle now, another on the way, along with two other Japanese favorites - Yoichi 10 and Taketsuru 17.

I may have already said it before, but the Yamazaki 12, being one of the only Japanese releases properly imported, is the only one you'll find for less on this side of the ocean than in Japan. If I recall correctly it'll cost you about $70-$80 over there.

Tags
yamazaki